Pages: 1

agaraffa
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/24/07
Send PM

80's Only MAME?
#345966 - 10/11/15 04:41 PM

Hello all,

I've been a long time MAME user but have been out of the loop for several years now. I'm getting back into now but don't really want to be as much of a completest as I was before. I'm really only interested in 80's games and have a few questions:

- Are there any kind of '80's only' or "Golden Age" only ROM packs out there?

- If not, does anyone maintain a custom MAME datfile that would help me weed out the ROMS I'm not interested in... or does anyone know how I could create my own custom datfile?

Like I said, I've been out of the loop for a long time, so any other information that you think I might find helpful would really be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: 80's Only MAME? new [Re: agaraffa]
#346077 - 10/15/15 08:03 PM

The time it'd take you to figure all this out could easily be the same as or more than doing it manually. So, get a UI build, and make your own favorites folder (and sub-folders within if you like, I always have), and assemble. Then just get the full set, and start pulling the ones you want out of it. Unfortunately, still no one has set up a 'pick what you want' process for roms, so I update any of my (about 400) roms when they get changed.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: 80's Only MAME? new [Re: agaraffa]
#346087 - 10/16/15 12:02 AM

If you hook-up GameEX they have categories in the front-end such as Golden age, shooters, CHD games, etc.

The advantage to this route is you can easily use official without resorting to UI of unofficial version.

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

Re: 80's Only MAME? new [Re: Traso]
#346090 - 10/16/15 03:02 AM

> Unfortunately, still no one has set up a 'pick what you want' process for roms

To make things worse, recent torrents now have the MESS bios roms included with MAME roms, making things difficult for people who want to keep them separate or only want one or the other.

remax
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/12
Send PM

Re: 80's Only MAME? new [Re: Comboman]
#346098 - 10/16/15 05:35 PM

> > Unfortunately, still no one has set up a 'pick what you want' process for roms
>
> To make things worse, recent torrents now have the MESS bios roms included with MAME
> roms, making things difficult for people who want to keep them separate or only want
> one or the other.

Yeah.. having a full hangar of arcade cabinets was hard to handle, but now you must add to it a house full of console and retro computer

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#346101 - 10/16/15 08:16 PM

> To make things worse, recent torrents now have the MESS bios roms included with MAME
> roms, making things difficult for people who want to keep them separate or only want
> one or the other.

Well you always have the option of leaving the torrents alone and dumping games yourself

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: 80's Only MAME? new [Re: B2K24]
#346103 - 10/16/15 11:17 PM

> > To make things worse, recent torrents now have the MESS bios roms included with
> MAME
> > roms, making things difficult for people who want to keep them separate or only
> want
> > one or the other.
>
> Well you always have the option of leaving the torrents alone and dumping games
> yourself

or, more realistically, you don't have to download every file in a torrent - you can pick and choose to only download the files you need...

- Stiletto

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#346107 - 10/17/15 12:54 AM

> > Unfortunately, still no one has set up a 'pick what you want' process for roms
>
> one or the other.

It's terrible, isn't it? I mean, of course, if you overlook the fact that it's been repeatedly shown that unless a ROM set is included in the overall complete MAME ROM set, it's very likely not to be preserved anywhere near as widely, if at all, and stands a very good chance of being lost.

We're just trying to ensure that these obscure systems that you might not care about are preserved at the same rate as games like Pac-Man or Galaga. Fuck us, right?

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: 80's Only MAME? new [Re: Stiletto]
#346217 - 10/23/15 09:43 PM

> or, more realistically, you don't have to download every file in a torrent - you can pick and choose to only download the files you need...
>
> - Stiletto

That's what someone said the last time I talked about this....OH, wait, you mean run through the list manually and de-select all those you don't want? I think a noogie is in order.....

@Moogly: hahahahahah, je-sus. No, but I'm guessing he meant that some of the console bios are necessary to play arcade games. Well, yeah, okay. Just know what you need there. I don't think I have any games that pertain to this, though.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 231 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3142