View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Elaphe
MAME
Reged: 07/06/05
Send PM

Coin and start with the same button
#345092 - 09/14/15 01:10 PM

Are there any arcade games which may have problems if I set coin/select an start to the same button? I mean something like not being able to select a character or the game not starting, etc.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Coin and start with the same button new [Re: Elaphe]
#345105 - 09/14/15 06:36 PM

> Are there any arcade games which may have problems if I set coin/select an start to
> the same button? I mean something like not being able to select a character or the
> game not starting, etc.

I'd be surprised if a lot of games would put up with that sort of abuse, but testing is the way to find out.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#345111 - 09/14/15 08:52 PM

> Are there any arcade games which may have problems if I set coin/select an start to
> the same button? I mean something like not being able to select a character or the

I wouldn't have any idea... But I'm thinking if you could have it so that a credit is detected when the button is pressed, and the '1 Player Start' is activated upon release... That might make it easier.

Edit: Well, this would mean that the switch for '1P Start' would always be closed instead of momentary as normal - as if you just pressed it once. I can imagine how that could possibly cause an issue in some games (capcom fighting games and taunts immediately come to mind).

Edited by Tomu Breidah (09/14/15 08:57 PM)

LEVEL-4

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#345113 - 09/14/15 09:13 PM

I can NOT understand how is this so called thread still siting here unlocked ???

So, I suppose I can ask :
Are there any arcade games which may have problems if I set left and right to the same button? I mean something like not being able to move a character or going anywhere, etc.
Furthermore, may I assign the same key for Start and Quit game and what repercussions should I expect if I do so ?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Coin and start with the same button new [Re: CTOJAH]
#345121 - 09/15/15 01:07 AM

I don't get it. Why should the thread be locked? Kind of silly to be so impatient that you can't press 2 buttons but not exactly thread locking material. Mame has the ability to assign 2 buttons to 1 so I expect people will use it.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#345126 - 09/15/15 06:54 AM

I'm pretty sure that I've played more than a few games where player one button one doubles as player one start/continue button.

Maybe it'll work if you add P1 coin to that but it would be annoying as hell if the game plays a sound every time you add a credit.

S

Elaphe
MAME
Reged: 07/06/05
Send PM

Re: Coin and start with the same button new [Re: Smitdogg]
#345128 - 09/15/15 08:26 AM

The reason for using coin and start with the same button is that I'm using Dreamcast pads in one of my setups, which do not have a select button. Since this setup is made for my kids, I don't want button combinations for simple fuctions, so that's why I've assigned both coin and start to the central start button. I'm also using a script to quit the game by holding down the start button for one second.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#345211 - 09/16/15 04:29 PM

> The reason for using coin and start with the same button is that I'm using Dreamcast
> pads in one of my setups, which do not have a select button. Since this setup is made
> for my kids, I don't want button combinations for simple fuctions, so that's why I've
> assigned both coin and start to the central start button. I'm also using a script to
> quit the game by holding down the start button for one second.

Hmm. I didn't know you could connect a DC controller to a PC, and I'm not entirely sure if I'd want to tbh

Anyway, I'd try it out in the games you want (your kids) to play and if it works, great.

remax
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/12
Send PM

Re: Coin and start with the same button new [Re: R. Belmont]
#345250 - 09/17/15 03:21 PM

At least with that, i will be able to plus DC pads when i'll get it...

http://www.bliss-box.net/Bliss-Box/

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 156 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1741