MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

PSP & PS2 games that used 'cross-system connectivity'?
#344580 - 08/31/15 10:15 AM

Other than the ports/versions of 'OutRun 2006 Coast to Coast' for each of those systems - were there any other games that utilized this feature?

I've tried searching, but nothing else comes up.

The way this worked was to connect both systems via a USB cable.

For OutRun in particular, the games would let you share an in-game 'License'. Essentially, you drive to gain 'OutRun Miles' on your License; which is the game's form of currency, in order to buy stuff. When you connect to the other system, you can share the currency, and buy things not available on the other system.

The only other thing like this that comes to mind was the ability of the NeoGeo Pocket to connect to the Dreamcast, with a few games that award you content depending on what you've done or won in the other version/port.

LEVEL-4

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: PSP & PS2 games that used 'cross-system connectivity'? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#344588 - 08/31/15 01:50 PM

> The only other thing like this that comes to mind was the ability of the NeoGeo
> Pocket to connect to the Dreamcast, with a few games that award you content depending
> on what you've done or won in the other version/port.

I don't know of any other examples with PSP/PS2, but I can think of other examples cross-system and cross-game connectivity:

• Transfer Pak let you take your Pokémon teams from the gameboy games and let them battle in Pokémon Stadium on N64, and unlock a minigame in Pokémon Yellow
  • Transfer Pak let you take your Mario Tennis and Mario Golf teams from the GBC versions to the N64 versions of the games
  • GameCube/GBA link cable let you transfer trading cards between versions of All Star Baseball 2004
  • GameCube/GBA link cable lets you transfer Pokémon between GameCube and GB(A) Pokémon games
  • Smash Bros for 3DS and Wii U will communicate wirelessly allowing you to transfer customised fighters and use the 3DS as an additional controller

And lots more I can't be arsed listing. The GCN/GBA link cable is the closest to a direct equivalent the the USB cable for PSP/PS2, but the 3DS/Wii U wireless link is conceptually close. Transfer Pak is a bit different as it involves an adaptor allowing you to connect the GB media to the N64 without a GB being involved.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: PSP & PS2 games that used 'cross-system connectivity'? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#344600 - 08/31/15 04:48 PM

> Other than the ports/versions of 'OutRun 2006 Coast to Coast' for each of those
> systems - were there any other games that utilized this feature?
>
>
> I've tried searching, but nothing else comes up.
>
> The way this worked was to connect both systems via a USB cable.

There were a couple of early PSP versions of Madden that let you link up with the cable, transfer your in-progress franchise mode to the PSP, play some games on a train or whatever, then sync the results back onto the PS2.

One of the Sony first-party games (God of War? Killzone? SOCOM?) had a link-to-unlock-special-features gimmick, but that may have been PSP/PS3 rather than PS2. Madden 2010 supported a wireless PSP/PS3 link so you could transfer custom plays from the PSP to the PS3 and play 'em in HD.

Nintendo's GBA/GameCube link got a lot more use.

Edited by R. Belmont (08/31/15 04:50 PM)

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#344612 - 08/31/15 08:41 PM

> The only other thing like this that comes to mind was the ability of the NeoGeo
> Pocket to connect to the Dreamcast, with a few games that award you content depending
> on what you've done or won in the other version/port.

I've never checked to see if this is true, somebody told me that there was a racing game on the PS3 that let you use a PSP as a rearview mirror. I think it was a Gran Turismo title?

/EDIT

Not GT, Formula One.
Apparently it was demoed at E3 but for some reason it doesn't work in the final game:
http://community.singstar.com/t5/Formula-One-Series/Using-Your-PSP-As-Rear-View-Mirror/td-p/1650865

S

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#344623 - 08/31/15 11:38 PM

I remember a connectivity between Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and Metal Gear Acid in order to unlock stuff (camouflage patterns and cards respectively). However you need to clear both games at least once and I think it only works on the japanese versions.

Bubblun_Z
Obscure Platform
Loc: In A SPEAK BOARD/-86
Send PM

#344692 - 09/02/15 09:48 PM

Aquaplus' Routes PE and Routes Portable could have their save data passed between systems, so you could play the same game between them. It was the perfect idea for a visual novel, you could keep reading and have the same unlock progress as you had in either system. A shame they didn't do so with their other *name of console ver. & same name-PORTABLE* ports and left this as the one-off kind of deal, it would have especially helped with a certain Turn Based Strategy Hybrid, but that's neither here, nor there.

The best part? The LE included BOTH.

More recently, I heard Falcom was offering a similar setup with the passing of data in their recent titles on the modern equivalents, but that's also another thing entirely.

Until next time, keep on RTFMin'. I--{=-^.^-=}

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Thanks for the info... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#344777 - 09/05/15 06:34 PM

fyi, I copy/pasted some of the replies to another forum that deals with the PPSSPP emulator. I'd credit the original commenters, but figured it wasn't that big of a deal. Their loss for not allowing links.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=16487&pid=110343#pid110343

LEVEL-4

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 100 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2003