MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

What free antivirus are we using these days?
#343600 - 08/07/15 03:39 PM

I searched for the "best," and came up with two:

Panda: Stay away, it crippled Win7 on my system, too heavy by far.

Avira: All their add-ons are intrusive, and they keep advertising themselves at me.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: What free antivirus are we using these days? new [Re: TriggerFin]
#343629 - 08/07/15 11:42 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials. Works fine for me.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: What free antivirus are we using these days? new [Re: redk9258]
#343631 - 08/07/15 11:49 PM

> Microsoft Security Essentials. Works fine for me.

Add "Ublock Origin" plugin in Chrome or Firefox as a first line of defense.

Also, don't download and/or install shit from sketchy websites.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Abstinence. new [Re: TriggerFin]
#343642 - 08/08/15 01:56 AM

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Well... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#343645 - 08/08/15 03:15 AM

> I searched for the "best," and came up with two:
>
> Panda: Stay away, it crippled Win7 on my system, too heavy by far.
>
> Avira: All their add-ons are intrusive, and they keep advertising themselves at me.

Been using Avast for a while now, on Silent mode. Doesn't seem too bad. Avast and AVG get half-decent scores at places like AVComparatives and others, though they're not testing the free editions. MSE tends not to score as well.

Sometimes I use AVG instead of Avast, but the last time I used AVG (2013) its advertisements were fairly annoying.

When money is no object, I lean towards Bitdefender, Kaspersky or Symantec, but those aren't normally free.

- Stiletto

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Well... new [Re: Stiletto]
#343649 - 08/08/15 04:13 AM

> > I searched for the "best," and came up with two:
> >
> > Panda: Stay away, it crippled Win7 on my system, too heavy by far.
> >
> > Avira: All their add-ons are intrusive, and they keep advertising themselves at me.
>
>
> Been using Avast for a while now, on Silent mode. Doesn't seem too bad. Avast and AVG
> get half-decent scores at places like AVComparatives and others, though they're not
> testing the free editions.

That site seems not to have had issues with Panda. It seriously made my system run like a brick wall. I installed it, tried to run AC:Revelations, and it was stuttering on the lowest settings, rather than being smooth on the highest settings. On exiting the game, Win7 advised me my PC sucked and I should turn off Aero, as if that would help. I couldn't run even Spelunky while it was installed.

> MSE tends not to score as well.

This is why I'm looking. MS is generally called "better than nothing."

> Sometimes I use AVG instead of Avast, but the last time I used AVG (2013) its
> advertisements were fairly annoying.
>
> When money is no object, I lean towards Bitdefender, Kaspersky or Symantec, but those
> aren't normally free.
>
> - Stiletto

JWJr
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/15/04
Send PM

Re: Well... new [Re: Stiletto]
#343670 - 08/08/15 03:05 PM

> > I searched for the "best," and came up with two:
> >
> > Panda: Stay away, it crippled Win7 on my system, too heavy by far.
> >
> > Avira: All their add-ons are intrusive, and they keep advertising themselves at me.
>
>
> Been using Avast for a while now, on Silent mode. Doesn't seem too bad. Avast and AVG
> get half-decent scores at places like AVComparatives and others, though they're not
> testing the free editions. MSE tends not to score as well.
>
> Sometimes I use AVG instead of Avast, but the last time I used AVG (2013) its
> advertisements were fairly annoying.
>
> When money is no object, I lean towards Bitdefender, Kaspersky or Symantec, but those
> aren't normally free.
>
> - Stiletto

We stopped using Avast a while back, as I got tired of uninstalling all the bloatware that my not-as-computer-literate extended family managed to install every time Avast updated itself.

Bitdefender has a free version that works the way Avast used to: lightweight, no questions, no bloatware, no bullshit. -JW

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Well... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#343679 - 08/08/15 04:47 PM

> > MSE tends not to score as well.
>
> This is why I'm looking. MS is generally called "better than nothing."

It scores OK with me. I've never had a problem with any virus / malware. I run Malwarebytes every once in a while to double check. I don't open attachments in emails that I don't know or download shit that I shouldn't. If something does go south, I have more than a years worth of backup images that I can restore from.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Well... new [Re: JWJr]
#343698 - 08/08/15 09:09 PM

> We stopped using Avast a while back, as I got tired of uninstalling all the bloatware
> that my not-as-computer-literate extended family managed to install every time Avast
> updated itself.

Not sure what you mean by bloatware, I don't remember seeing any adware/spyware tagging along with the download/install process for Avast. Unless you mean all the new "features"/"optimizers" they seem to add with each new release - but I don't see any "advertising partners"...

> Bitdefender has a free version that works the way Avast used to: lightweight, no
> questions, no bloatware, no bullshit. -JW

Oh! If Bitdefender has a free version, then it's probably the way to go right now. The pay versions always score really high in terms of resource-friendliness, etc.
http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

As for me, I recently found out that a family member is only using two seats out of their three-seat Norton 360 subscription ($69.99/yr or so doesn't look so bad when you consider it protects up to three computers/devices), so I might go that route for the time being instead.

- Stiletto

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

ewww... don't new [Re: Stiletto]
#343715 - 08/09/15 02:12 AM

Norton is shit bloatware. If you want something from Symantec, use SEP.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

Re: Well... new [Re: redk9258]
#343769 - 08/10/15 05:46 AM

I agree. I use MSE and Malwarebytes. They are compatible with each other and I've never had any problems.

What ever happened to Lavasoft Ad-Aware and Spybot - S&D? Does anyone still use them? Are they any good anymore?

And what about Trend Micro?

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: Well... new [Re: Big Karnak]
#343778 - 08/10/15 07:50 AM

> I agree. I use MSE and Malwarebytes. They are compatible with each other and I've
> never had any problems.
>
> What ever happened to Lavasoft Ad-Aware and Spybot - S&D? Does anyone still use them?
> Are they any good anymore?
>
> And what about Trend Micro?

I use Spybot for the immunization feature. Hardly ever scan with it, though.

I'm wondering what happened to SuperAntiSpyware. Does anybody bother with it anymore? Certainly looks like it's still getting updated.

In the 07-'10 timeframe, I had several people bring me systems that were really messed up. Aside from the occasional specific removal tool I had to use, I had to scan with BOTH MBAM and SAS. 1 always picked up on things the other didn't. The two together always resulted in a clean system.

Found out fairly quickly what those several machines had in common: used by teenage boys.
I *might be able to claim more pron site visitation than Andrew, but I haven't had any such problems on my own system. I use SEP and MBAM always.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 344 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1844