Pages: 1

dfrance
Crazed Collector
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: The Black
Send PM

Any draft dodgers here?
#342798 - 07/21/15 11:26 PM

...and by that, I mean U.S. guys who never registered for the selective service when they turned 18. I did (back in the day) despite the fact that I enlisted at 17 was already US Government property. I know it's federal law, and failure to do so will nix your chance at a govt student loan (and any dreams you might have of becoming a postman)...

I have a 17 year old son now (give you an idea how long "back in the day" was), and although there hasn't been a draft in decades, I'd rather he not get sent off to some sandy barren sh*t hole to kill off the tally-my-banana.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

So...what are you asking here? (nt) new [Re: dfrance]
#342932 - 07/26/15 09:06 AM

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

He's literally insane and thinks that there might be a draft soon. *nt* new [Re: Traso]
#342937 - 07/26/15 11:46 AM

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Just have him do it new [Re: dfrance]
#342947 - 07/26/15 02:58 PM

Not worth the trouble not to, and the job market sucks anyway so there is no shortage of volunteers for the military. There will absolutely not be another draft any time soon.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: Just have him do it new [Re: URherenow]
#342957 - 07/26/15 06:11 PM

> Not worth the trouble not to, and the job market sucks anyway so there is no shortage
> of volunteers for the military. There will absolutely not be another draft any time
> soon.

BUT BUT OBAMA AND ILLEGALS MAN

WE'RE TOTALLY GOING TO GET DRAFTED SOON

Seriously? The only way a draft would ever happen again is if the entire Islamic State came charging at the US directly. Including the ones that like the Gringos.

The US has more than enough military, both active and reserve, to handle anything that's thrown at them.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

Re: Any draft dodgers here? new [Re: dfrance]
#342959 - 07/26/15 06:27 PM

Dont forget the white house just cut another 50,000 military personel. Trying to cut u.s. cost. So i guess cutting the military which protects us is the best place to cut corners. Hell i would have started cutting cost at the white house and moved to the senate and then congress and just kept going from there....

Only here to annoy...

JWJr
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/15/04
Send PM

Re: Just have him do it new [Re: Foxhack]
#342961 - 07/26/15 07:32 PM

> > Not worth the trouble not to, and the job market sucks anyway so there is no
> shortage
> > of volunteers for the military. There will absolutely not be another draft any time
> > soon.
>
> BUT BUT OBAMA AND ILLEGALS MAN
>
> WE'RE TOTALLY GOING TO GET DRAFTED SOON
>
> Seriously? The only way a draft would ever happen again is if the entire Islamic
> State came charging at the US directly. Including the ones that like the Gringos.
>
> The US has more than enough military, both active and reserve, to handle anything
> that's thrown at them.

More importantly, today's military requires more education and knowledge than it did in Vietnam. Throwing undertrained, involuntary grunts at the problem (like we did then) won't solve today's problems. -JW

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Any draft dodgers here? new [Re: Renegade]
#342968 - 07/26/15 08:57 PM

> So i guess cutting the military which protects us is the best place to cut corners.

That's true, it is.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Just have him do it new [Re: JWJr]
#342975 - 07/26/15 10:16 PM

> More importantly, today's military requires more education and knowledge than it did in Vietnam. Throwing undertrained, involuntary grunts at the problem (like we did then) won't solve today's problems. -JW

Never can tell what may happen.....but as it stands right now, and has for a few decades, a draft would be more than unpopular. It would be widely resisted. Besides, social propaganda is far more effective, goading people into enlisting.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Any draft dodgers here? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#342978 - 07/26/15 10:21 PM

> > So i guess cutting the military which protects us is the best place to cut corners.
>
> That's true, it is.

The best imperialism is economic. Which when done correctly requires no military involvement. When von Neumann machines are mature enough, it'll be even easier.

dfrance
Crazed Collector
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: The Black
Send PM

Certified....and a legal gun owner - mwah-ha-ha! new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#342984 - 07/26/15 11:57 PM

But seriously....just interested in what the brain trust here thinks on registering for selective service...like I say, I did it despite having been in the military for nearly a year at the time (I thought that was goofy....registration AFTER enlisting for an 8 year stint)...I'm also curious what others think about the negative aspects of NOT registering...are they "just do it - not worth the hassle to 'fight da man' "or do people think "fuck it, I'd just thrown the postcard in the shit can".

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Certified....and a legal gun owner - mwah-ha-ha! new [Re: dfrance]
#342985 - 07/27/15 12:42 AM

> But seriously....just interested in what the brain trust here thinks on registering
> for selective service...like I say, I did it despite having been in the military for
> nearly a year at the time (I thought that was goofy....registration AFTER enlisting
> for an 8 year stint)...I'm also curious what others think about the negative aspects
> of NOT registering...are they "just do it - not worth the hassle to 'fight da man'
> "or do people think "fuck it, I'd just thrown the postcard in the shit can".

Look at the penalties for not registering. Don't risk the kid's future in fear of a draft that won't happen.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Certified....and a legal gun owner - mwah-ha-ha! new [Re: dfrance]
#342994 - 07/27/15 09:49 AM

> But seriously....just interested in what the brain trust here thinks on registering
> for selective service...like I say, I did it despite having been in the military for
> nearly a year at the time (I thought that was goofy....registration AFTER enlisting
> for an 8 year stint)...I'm also curious what others think about the negative aspects
> of NOT registering...are they "just do it - not worth the hassle to 'fight da man'
> "or do people think "fuck it, I'd just thrown the postcard in the shit can".

That's been YEARS back, and I suppose NORMAL people (unlike my weirdo ass) actually have families/children that might be up to that age when Uncle-Sam starts eyeing them (eh, yeah, that doesn't sound creepy in the least). Eh, anyway. I did have a recruiter come to my house when I was 18 or whatever. I already had JRA from when I was about 11, I guess. And by the age of 18, my knees had already deformed and joints were wore down to a degree.

Some days later the guy calls me back and says my condition wouldn't allow me to be in the service. I was heart broken.

From the other comments made in this topic - they seem to be sure that a draft will never happen (again). Though, I don't see why this would be an impossibility, I'll take their word for it.

LEVEL-4

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: Certified....and a legal gun owner - mwah-ha-ha! new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#342999 - 07/27/15 03:46 PM

> Though, I don't see why this would be an impossibility, I'll
> take their word for it.

A) Downsizing
B) Turning people away
C) People who are being accepted nowadays have to wait several months (and I've heard up to a year and a half, but that's hearsay...) just to start basic training (boot camp).

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

Re: Certified....and a legal gun owner - mwah-ha-ha! new [Re: URherenow]
#343033 - 07/27/15 11:03 PM

One thing to remember though is we have done nothing but cut military personel for the last 6 yrs.
They threw some numbers out awhile back about how small our military has gotten but i dont remember the actual numbers.

As far as an actual draft ? Yeah i could see the goverment doing it. At my age too many times i have seen people say " this would never happen, no way they could do that" only to see it happen.

Chance of a draft ? I'd say almost none but to say the goverment will never do it if they felt they needed too ? The goverment will do what ever they want and they push that boundry alittle further each day.

Only here to annoy...

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#343078 - 07/28/15 11:18 PM

> I already had JRA from when I was about 11, I guess. And by the age of 18, my knees had already deformed and joints were wore down to a degree.

That's grim, dude. My aunt developed that after falling down a set of stairs as a toddler. Of course arthritis was in the gene pool...but it wasn't activated until her spill. She managed to be pretty active up through her early 50s, but by her 20s her spine was so fuckin cork-screwed, it took two x-rays to image it. She went at 57, my dad thinks because of cancer that developed (she was vegetarian...but she was blood type O, so that could've been why that developed), though before she went she told me she was on the way out not from the cancer, but something else she'd been dealing with since a hospital visit that got botched.

Anyways, nowadays they got lot of tech they can put in to help...maybe stem cell therapy as well.....but it's pricey. Of course, if I was fucked up like that, I'd volunteer for stem cell shit.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Certified....and a legal gun owner - mwah-ha-ha! new [Re: Traso]
#343100 - 07/29/15 07:33 AM

> > I already had JRA from when I was about 11, I guess. And by the age of 18, my knees
> had already deformed and joints were wore down to a degree.
>
>
> That's grim, dude. My aunt developed that after falling down a set of stairs as a
> toddler. Of course arthritis was in the gene pool...but it wasn't activated until her
> spill. She managed to be pretty active up through her early 50s, but by her 20s her
> spine was so fuckin cork-screwed, it took two x-rays to image it. She went at 57, my
> dad thinks because of cancer that developed (she was vegetarian...but she was blood
> type O, so that could've been why that developed), though before she went she told me
> she was on the way out not from the cancer, but something else she'd been dealing
> with since a hospital visit that got botched.
>
> Anyways, nowadays they got lot of tech they can put in to help...maybe stem cell
> therapy as well.....but it's pricey. Of course, if I was fucked up like that, I'd
> volunteer for stem cell shit.

Mine must've went into remission, and I only had it in my knees. Being naturally active as a teenager isn't the best thing on vulnerable knee joints. I've had my right knee joint replaced. The left knee?.... I don't know what to say about it... It does have a particle (joint mouse) near the joint that, if it gets in just the right spot, can be pretty painful. I've thought on numerous occasions of cutting my leg open in that very spot and pulling or cutting it out... People have performed self surgeries before, so it's just a matter of mind-over-matter. But the risk is too great, so I highly doubt I'd ever do such a thing.

When I was in high school or junior high there was a girl that was 2 or 3 years older than I, and she had JRA... She had to have both of her legs cut off.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#343107 - 07/29/15 01:15 PM

> When I was in high school or junior high there was a girl that was 2 or 3 years older
> than I, and she had JRA... She had to have both of her legs cut off.

My old friend Omar had his legs removed because of the birth effect. They cut off his legs up to his hips. I be very sad person without those legs. Some people doesn't know what it like not having legs. I watch my old friend drag across the floor when we were kids.

I wish science find away to grow new arms and legs from the host body. Maybe find away to grow a new penis and tits too without using those fake shit. Until then be far in the future before this happen. I probably won't be alive to see this happen.

Olivier Galibert
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

#343166 - 07/30/15 11:48 AM

> Dont forget the white house just cut another 50,000 military personel. Trying to cut
> u.s. cost. So i guess cutting the military which protects us is the best place to cut
> corners. Hell i would have started cutting cost at the white house and moved to the
> senate and then congress and just kept going from there....

They protect you against who, exactly?

OG.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Certified....and a legal gun owner - mwah-ha-ha! new [Re: Dullaron]
#343426 - 08/04/15 08:12 AM

> I wish science find away to grow new arms and legs from the host body. Maybe find away to grow a new penis and tits too without using those fake shit. Until then be far in the future before this happen. I probably won't be alive to see this happen.

If Kurzweil is correct, you may be seriously surprised. It'll be like in Greg Bear's SLANT/ .

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: Certified....and a legal gun owner - mwah-ha-ha! new [Re: Renegade]
#343545 - 08/06/15 06:26 PM

> One thing to remember though is we have done nothing but cut military personel for
> the last 6 yrs.
> They threw some numbers out awhile back about how small our military has gotten but
> i dont remember the actual numbers.
>

U.S. Military Personnel 1954-2014

The total active US military went from 1,401,757 service members in 2008 to 1,354,054 service members in 2014, a decrease of 47,703 total, or 3.4%, over the last 6 years. If you compare it to the pre-9/11 and two wars number of 1,384,338 from 2000, it's a drop of 30,284, or 2.2%, over 14 years.

If you look at the yearly numbers, you see the ebb and flow as needs increased and decreased. The totals increased every year from 2000-2003, then decreased from 2003-2007, then increased from 2007-2010, and have been decreasing since 2010.

The increased use of drones has probably contributed to the decreased need for manpower.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

#343546 - 08/06/15 06:35 PM

> Dont forget the white house just cut another 50,000 military personel. Trying to cut
> u.s. cost. So i guess cutting the military which protects us is the best place to cut
> corners. Hell i would have started cutting cost at the white house and moved to the
> senate and then congress and just kept going from there....

Have there been any instances in recent history where the elected government is deposed and the military doesn't turn the country into a dictatorship? We have enough people complaining that we live in some imaginary dictatorship. What would they think when we all have to live in an actual dictatorship?

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Any draft dodgers here? new [Re: Gor]
#343828 - 08/11/15 12:03 AM

> Have there been any instances in recent history where the elected government is deposed and the military doesn't turn the country into a dictatorship? We have enough people complaining that we live in some imaginary dictatorship. What would they think when we all have to live in an actual dictatorship?

america is the home of the manic and paranoid. And pussies. Why was handling the bush in Vietnam so difficult for US troops? Because the gooks were like reptiles, rodents, and insects, and so were made for it. Of course. The majority of ams, especially under thirty, simply wouldn't get it if they was suddenly immersed in a dictatorship. They'd shout this right and that right and......then would shit their pants to the point of quivering immobility when the person in front of them was blown to pieces.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 342 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2418