All we need now is a dump of it !!!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: *** Sony-Nintendo Play Station Prototype Discovered *** new [Re: CTOJAH]
#342204 - 07/06/15 04:45 PM

Fake. You don't get something like that, make an 8 minute YouTube about it, and not attempt to power it up.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: *** Sony-Nintendo Play Station Prototype Discovered *** new [Re: R. Belmont]
#342207 - 07/06/15 09:07 PM

> Fake. You don't get something like that, make an 8 minute YouTube about it, and not
> attempt to power it up.

Yep I didn't even trust that one. They already taking about this crap on the websites. I would like to see Nintendo and Sony step out saying it never happen. Half of it look fresh while other half look used. lol

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Jdurgi
Regular
Loc: NEW England, CT
Send PM

Re: *** Sony-Nintendo Play Station Prototype Discovered *** new [Re: Dullaron]
#342208 - 07/06/15 09:29 PM

> > Fake. You don't get something like that, make an 8 minute YouTube about it, and not
> > attempt to power it up.
>
> Yep I didn't even trust that one. They already taking about this crap on the
> websites. I would like to see Nintendo and Sony step out saying it never happen. Half
> of it look fresh while other half look used. lol

Well the yellow coloring really doesn't have anything to do with whether it's legit or not. So I'll only comment on that. But depending upon the fire-retardant mixture used in the plastics, one may yellow greatly over time, while others would only yellow if exposed to UV radiation. The yellowing is caused by a bromine compound in the plastic which was used as a fire retardant. Upon exposure to UV light, or naturally over time for the cheaper ones, free bromine atoms would merge together to form elemental bromine which is a dark brownish orange liquid. Finely dispersed throughout the plastic, it turns the plastic that infamous shade of yellow. Akin to patina on copper.

It's not uncommon for certain parts of a console to yellow much more drastically than others simply because the two parts were made from different batches of plastic. In this case, it could be a case of one of the consoles being produced by Sony and one by Nintendo, with one of the companies using cheap retardant that yellowed it more.

So that's my input. As to whether it actually is real or not, I have no clue nor do I give a rat's ass about it.

--------------------------------------------------
I am just a worthless liar.
I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you.
Trust in me and fall as well.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: *** Sony-Nintendo Play Station Prototype Discovered *** new [Re: R. Belmont]
#342212 - 07/07/15 01:18 AM

Maybe Byuu can convince this dude to invite him over :P

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: *** Sony-Nintendo Play Station Prototype Discovered *** new [Re: B2K24]
#342226 - 07/07/15 04:28 PM

> Maybe Byuu can convince this dude to invite him over :P

Yeah, I'd love to see Byuu get his hands on this

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#342238 - 07/07/15 11:04 PM

> > Maybe Byuu can convince this dude to invite him over :P
>
> Yeah, I'd love to see Byuu get his hands on this

I'd love to see anyone who isn't some jackass hoarder getting their hands on it, but ideally someone affiliated with MAME. God knows that byuu would probably dump it in some obscure format of his own creation that loses like half of the data on the disc despite him claiming that it's "the right way to do it".

As for the fake/real debate, I find it readily apparent that it's real, simply because it's way too high-quality of a fake to be made by someone who looks like a dudebro that would trade it for a sixer of Zima. Points in favor of it not being fake:

- Per the video, it has both an EXT socket and a cartridge socket. An average fraud wouldn't happily pop off the EXT door to show the socket, and if it were actually a shell for showing behind glass at trade shows, they wouldn't bother putting either socket on it in the first place.
- The cartridge looks pretty consistent with internal SNES writable carts.
- The case is sufficiently identical to the few images of that particular style of unit that exist, down to the clear polycarb window over what is more than likely an LCD for showing the current track/time for audio CDs.
- The case is sufficiently different to those few images to make it even more believable than if it looked identical, at least to people who have experience doing development on both Nintendo and Sony consoles. For both companies, the hardware used by developers looks radically different from the final console, and likewise, the hardware that's seeded to QA departments looks almost identical to the final console, save for pragmatic changes: Compare against the GameCube NR Reader used by testers, and the PS2 test kits used by testers.
- Rumor has it he's mentioned that his dad got the console from some dude by the name of "Olaf", which points pretty directly to Olaf Olafsson over at SCEA, who was more or less responsible for the stateside release of the Playstation in the early to mid 90's.

Ultimately there's a lot more to indicate that it's the real deal than there is to indicate that it's a fake, the latter of which amounts largely to people being doubtful for nebulous, unspecified reasons.

byuu
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/17/06
Send PM

Re: *** Sony-Nintendo Play Station Prototype Discovered *** new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#342239 - 07/07/15 11:49 PM

> God knows that byuu would probably dump it in some obscure format of his own creation that loses like half of the data on the disc despite him claiming that it's "the right way to do it".

Exactly, you really wouldn't want me to dump the ROMs on this system.

You'd end up with all the files in a folder with a cryptic name like "Super Mario World (JP) (1.0).sfc", with gibberish for filenames like "program.rom" and "save.ram" ... how the hell is anyone supposed to figure out what any of that crap means?

We need to get this in the hands of a capable MAME dumper, so we can end up with a proper format like nss-smw.zip, with consistent file names inside like nss-mw-0_prg.ic1 and nss-r__ic3__mw.ic3 (*). You don't have to stop and think about what these mean, they're obvious from the naming. Of course, it'd probably be even better if it was stored in a format *not* of one's own creation, like CHD, right?

Plus like you said, I'm terrible about not preserving *all* the data. Which is probably why it was the MAME team that led the effort and raised the money to extract all the SNES coprocessor firmware, and is currently pushing to get the S-DSP gaussian table extracted so it can be externalized. If it were me, I'd probably just complain about it if you dared ask for help on my forum.

OH WAIT ...

(* as should be obvious, these perfectly match the chip names on my actual board: http://i.imgur.com/X52KS0s.jpg ... save for proper MAME naming convention changes: ic1 added _prg, swapped the placement of mw, and didn't duplicate the ic1 in the base name. I wish I could come up with such a logical design.)

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: *** Sony-Nintendo Play Station Prototype Discovered *** new [Re: byuu]
#342241 - 07/08/15 12:29 AM

> If it were me, I'd probably just complain
> about it if you dared ask for help on my forum.

Nah, what would actually happen is you'd ban anyone on your forum if they suggested that you aren't god's gift to coding. But anyway, thank you for giving me a good laugh tonight by instantly jumping all over a post that tangentially mentioned you and besmirched your so-called good name that largely only exists among your group of brainwashed sycophants and people who don't otherwise know any better.

By the way, do you actually work on emulators anymore, or do you just spend all of your time frantically googling for references to your nickname so you can defend yourself against us unwashed masses? How's Higan, working on adding any more other peoples' emulators to it, or were you planning on tearing down all your forums again in one of your seemingly yearly tantrums?

Mednafen
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/01/08
Send PM

#342242 - 07/08/15 12:47 AM

Why are you making such toxic, counter-productive posts? What benefit comes of it?

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

#342244 - 07/08/15 01:57 AM

> > If it were me, I'd probably just complain
> > about it if you dared ask for help on my forum.
>
> Nah, what would actually happen is you'd ban anyone on your forum if they suggested
> that you aren't god's gift to coding. But anyway, thank you for giving me a good
> laugh tonight by instantly jumping all over a post that tangentially mentioned you
> and besmirched your so-called good name that largely only exists among your group of
> brainwashed sycophants and people who don't otherwise know any better.
>
> By the way, do you actually work on emulators anymore, or do you just spend all of
> your time frantically googling for references to your nickname so you can defend
> yourself against us unwashed masses? How's Higan, working on adding any more other
> peoples' emulators to it, or were you planning on tearing down all your forums again
> in one of your seemingly yearly tantrums?

The forum teardown was due to a security issue actually; the hosting service byuu used to use got the main vps systems pwned and every single user VM system had backdoors installed depending on what software was on the vm. The forum software byuu used was patched to allow spamming by disabling all posting restrictions, in the DB itself, in a non-obvious way. (Also anyone could read anyone else's PMs, I think.) We couldn't figure out how to undo it, so the forum was locked and eventually deleted. I believe archive.org has a backup of it.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

byuu
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/17/06
Send PM

#342247 - 07/08/15 03:03 AM

> thank you for giving me a good laugh tonight by instantly jumping all over a post that tangentially mentioned you and besmirched your so-called good name that largely only exists among your group of brainwashed sycophants and people who don't otherwise know any better

I refuted your blatantly false charges. You said I don't care about preserving *all* data, nothing could be further from the truth. You accused me of making up my own formats, whereas it's MAME who has made up their own formats like CHD. I just use folders, which have been around since at least the '60s with Multics. (yes, I have an optional manifest to describe the boards in the folders. I have tried for years to get other devs to work with me on standardizing it to no avail. I seem to be the only SNES dev interested in accurate memory mapping.)

We disagree about how things should be done. That's good! Users should have choices, and the market can decide what wins out.

You seem to care more about making this personal than having an argument on the merits. Not once have I resorted to ad homimens against MAME developers nor their users. Yet you guys have called me a dipshit, unemployed, impossible to work with, etc. And you've all mercilessly attacked anyone who has had the audacity to agree with me on anything. You've called them brainwashed, sycophants, zealots, worshippers, etc. I expected better of MAME devs.

I'm happy to have a debate any time about how things should be done in emulation, but I've no interest in engaging in childish name calling. If you *insist* on making it personal, please at least leave my users out of your hatred for me.

> Nah, what would actually happen is you'd ban anyone on your forum if they suggested that you aren't god's gift to coding.

Name one person I have banned for such a reason.

In spite of AWJ's comments, he's not only not banned, he's a member of the private development sub-forum. There are several other people who actively disagree with me. I only ban users that engage in trolling, death threats, etc.

You guys pull out single-lines of code that are stupid from my 200KLOC codebase that is 11 years old. Anyone who writes that much code is bound to do some really stupid things. I've fixed most of what AWJ has complained about, and explained why I disagreed on a few others.

I'm also participating on this forum, Reddit, Twitter, Hacker News, on and on. The only reason I don't post on bannister.org is because my posts were being deleted there, so I left.

> By the way, do you actually work on emulators anymore

I burned out for a long time, but I've been slowly getting back into it. I've recently been working with endrift and Cydrak on GBA prefetch emulation, something that hasn't been done before.

> were you planning on tearing down all your forums again in one of your seemingly yearly tantrums?

My previous host, InMotion Hosting, did something that severely crippled all of their customer's SQL tables. No amount of restoring could fix major issues with it. Users were able to edit anyone else's posts, and I couldn't fix it. I had no choice but to switch hosts and restart the forum.

> working on adding any more other peoples' emulators to it

I don't currently have anyone else's cores in higan. But is there something wrong with code sharing? That's kind of the point of open source.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: *** Sony-Nintendo Play Station Prototype Discovered *** new [Re: byuu]
#342251 - 07/08/15 06:48 AM

> The only reason I don't post on bannister.org is because my posts were being deleted
> there, so I left.

Me too.

LEVEL-4

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: *** Sony-Nintendo Play Station Prototype Discovered *** new [Re: Mednafen]
#342252 - 07/08/15 06:55 AM

> Why are you making such toxic, counter-productive posts? What benefit comes of it?

LOL, many, many people have pondered these exact questions over the years .... the only answer seems to be is: it is just his nature.

There are 3 options for dealing with toxic and abusive people:

(1). Argue with them and try and make them see reason - but this is an exercise in futility. There is absolutely no point in arguing with them on the internet where you will only raise your blood pressure to alarming levels against a wall of troll. Hint: trying to change people - especially over the internet - is a waste of time.

(2). Hunt them down in real life and teach them a lesson with your fists - and this is certainly a one way ticket to a not so quiet holiday as Big Bubba's special friend in jail. Hint: it wont be a nice holiday at all.

(3). Completely ignore / disregard anything negative they say and (if possible) just focus on the good things they say / do.

Clearly Option (3) is the only valid choice.

Short answer: just ignore him when he is in one of his moods (which does seem to be often btw).

Moose

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: *** Sony-Nintendo Play Station Prototype Discovered *** new [Re: Moose]
#342350 - 07/11/15 05:59 AM

> Short answer: just ignore him when he is in one of his moods (which does seem to be often btw).

Be Zen, yo. There's laughter in it.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#342356 - 07/11/15 10:25 AM

The President of Sony's Worldwide Studios, Shuhei Yoshida says :
"Somehow, I think it's more fun to keep it kind of a mystery."
source

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#342358 - 07/11/15 11:47 AM

> The President of Sony's Worldwide Studios, Shuhei Yoshida says :
> "Somehow, I think it's more fun to keep it kind of a mystery."
> source

He did said he didn't remember what it look like. He played a few games. It long time ago and he just join team at that time.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Counter-productive as it may be, its sure as shit entertaining! new [Re: Mednafen]
#342365 - 07/11/15 04:21 PM

Upon reading Mooglyguy's post, I knew this was gonna get good. I was on the edge of my seat reading Byuu's response

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Re: *** Sony-Nintendo Play Station Prototype Discovered *** new [Re: Dullaron]
#342366 - 07/11/15 04:28 PM

The plastic used for the SNES shell had a tendency to fade yellowish when exposed to sunlight over time. I suspect a similar issue occurred here.

Looks real too me. You can see where the original Playstation got design cues from. I bet Nintendo kicks its collective corporate asses to this day for screwing over Sony and creating one of the biggest threats to its existence.

Edited by vram74 (07/11/15 04:30 PM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 161 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4527