Re: Unit3D Pinball Beta released! new [Re: hotgraphics]
#341963 - 06/28/15 06:35 AM

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Unit3D Pinball Beta released! new [Re: Robbbert]
#341964 - 06/28/15 06:41 AM Attachment: Untitled.png 12 KB (0 downloads)

> > Unit3D Pinball Beta has been released, these are the tables that are available:
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > http://www.unit3dpinball.net/
>
>
> can't download

Download working fine here on Firefox.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Unit3D Pinball Beta released! new [Re: Dullaron]
#341966 - 06/28/15 07:44 AM

Cheshire Noir
Exerion Addict
Reged: 02/15/08
Loc: Perth, Australia
Send PM

#341967 - 06/28/15 07:49 AM

> > > > Unit3D Pinball Beta has been released, these are the tables that are available:
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > http://www.unit3dpinball.net/
> > >
> > >
> > > can't download
> >
> > Download working fine here on Firefox.
>
> Nothing happens when I click on the download button. Looks like there's some
> anti-leach protection which is a bit too effective. Anyway I can live without it.

Not just you. I've been unable to download it from either IE or Chrome...

"Curiouser and Curiouser" Cried Alice

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Unit3D Pinball Beta released! new [Re: Cheshire Noir]
#341969 - 06/28/15 10:09 AM

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

#341973 - 06/28/15 12:47 PM

Downloaded fine for me. But what is the advantage of this over Future Pinball?

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Unit3D Pinball Beta released! new [Re: Nightvoice]
#341974 - 06/28/15 01:38 PM

> Downloaded fine for me. But what is the advantage of this over Future Pinball?

As I understand it, Future reproduces the game rules/scoring/etc. to the best of someone's memory, while Unit uses PinMAME and actually runs the code from the real machine so it's guaranteed correct in those aspects.

hotgraphics
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/07/06
Send PM

Re: Unit3D Pinball Beta released! new [Re: Nightvoice]
#341977 - 06/28/15 02:00 PM

More realistic physics

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

#341982 - 06/28/15 05:32 PM

Downloaded OK for me but Avast tagged it as a virus.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

Re: Unit3D Pinball Beta released! new [Re: Comboman]
#341996 - 06/29/15 04:54 AM

Avast detects the most false flags out of any of the popular anti-malware programs. I don't know why people continue to use it when there are many other free ones that are just as good, if not better, that doesn't produce all these false flags.

Believe it or not, Microsoft Security Essentials is quite good. I use that combined with Malwarebytes. MSE has real-time protection. The free Malwarebytes doesn't. So there's no conflict if you use both. They are compatible and both are free.

Edited by Big Karnak (06/29/15 04:59 AM)

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

Re: Unit3D Pinball Beta released! new [Re: R. Belmont]
#342043 - 07/01/15 12:23 AM

Do you see a day when MAME will take over for PinMAME? Would it take a monumental change to MAME's code? I thought there was talk that one day MAME would actually simulate pinball, mechanical games, etc.

I like talking about this because I know how much you like PinMAME's code

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Unit3D Pinball Beta released! new [Re: Big Karnak]
#342118 - 07/03/15 08:59 PM

> Believe it or not, Microsoft Security Essentials is quite good. I use that combined with Malwarebytes. MSE has real-time protection. The free Malwarebytes doesn't. So there's no conflict if you use both. They are compatible and both are free.

In the last year I've been using MSE and licensed MB, and I've had no conflicts. Sometimes MB slow my machine down, but none of my machines is newer than '07-8.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Unit3D Pinball Beta released! new [Re: Antny]
#342119 - 07/03/15 09:02 PM

> Do you see a day when MAME will take over for PinMAME? Would it take a monumental change to MAME's code? I thought there was talk that one day MAME would actually simulate pinball, mechanical games, etc.

Dude, pinball has been in MAME for some years, now; one of the gripes of many folks. As well, RB said several months ago that a something similar to Visual Pinball was intended for the future.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

More realistic physics, and real tables..... new [Re: hotgraphics]
#342120 - 07/03/15 09:03 PM

whereas FP has been more about making new tables....and having weird POV effects.

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

Re: Unit3D Pinball Beta released! new [Re: Traso]
#342186 - 07/06/15 03:15 AM

I know that. I actually was part of the discussion. Robbert was on a roll recently. I thought MAME would have (for lack of a better understanding)an interface with other pin sims of some sort long before it would do full fledged simulation of pinball. No other developers will do it better

With Couriersud chugging along with the discrete stuff, I thought MAME could eventually be the "go to" place to emulate pinball stuff for other sims.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#342199 - 07/06/15 01:57 PM

> I know that. I actually was part of the discussion. Robbert was on a roll recently. I
> thought MAME would have (for lack of a better understanding)an interface with other
> pin sims of some sort long before it would do full fledged simulation of pinball. No
> other developers will do it better

Right, the goal is that MAME will eventually be a drop-in replacement for PinMAME. Don't know how long that'll take to realize though.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#342203 - 07/06/15 04:30 PM

> Do you see a day when MAME will take over for PinMAME? Would it take a monumental
> change to MAME's code? I thought there was talk that one day MAME would actually
> simulate pinball, mechanical games, etc.
>
> I like talking about this because I know how much you like PinMAME's code

Right, I meant to reply to this.

Yes, I think that day is coming. It may be far off in the future. I hope that the PinMAME team can support that move and (eventually) accept it and become developers inasmuch as they are still active, but we can't always get the things we want.

However, if MAME does it the "right way", then it might not BE a true drop-in replacement. It may require minor modifications to pinball simulation frontends and Visual Pinball and anything else that used PinMAME. Do you think adoption will be slower in that case?

- Stiletto

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Unit3D Pinball Beta released! new [Re: Stiletto]
#342210 - 07/06/15 11:28 PM

> > Do you see a day when MAME will take over for PinMAME? Would it take a monumental
> > change to MAME's code? I thought there was talk that one day MAME would actually
> > simulate pinball, mechanical games, etc.
> >
> > I like talking about this because I know how much you like PinMAME's code
>
> Right, I meant to reply to this.
>
> Yes, I think that day is coming. It may be far off in the future. I hope that the
> PinMAME team can support that move and (eventually) accept it and become developers
> inasmuch as they are still active, but we can't always get the things we want.
>
> However, if MAME does it the "right way", then it might not BE a true drop-in
> replacement. It may require minor modifications to pinball simulation frontends and
> Visual Pinball and anything else that used PinMAME. Do you think adoption will be
> slower in that case?
>
> - Stiletto

If they still using those out of date computers and PinMAME then they gotta be nuts. I say drop the out of date PinMAME move onto the better source. Shouldn't be slow using the newer computers. Other wise still saying good bye to out of date PinMAME.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

John IVModerator
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#342215 - 07/07/15 02:13 AM

To the original topic, Unit3D has progressed quite well for those of us who have followed its slow annual dev cycle over the years.

The lighting effects you can tweak are quite immersive and it's great having a 3D world to play in *PLUS* hooks into the ROMs for proper game logic and scoring. I find the physics to be much better than FP at this point.

(Granted, FP has made great strides over the last year or so with 'recreations' based on extracting sounds and DMD images from MAME and some XML physics tweaks/injections. But the base code has been abandoned by Chris and was never released to the public to continue it).

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Unit3D Pinball Beta released! new [Re: Dullaron]
#342339 - 07/10/15 09:51 PM

> If they still using those out of date computers and PinMAME then they gotta be nuts. I say drop the out of date PinMAME move onto the better source. Shouldn't be slow using the newer computers. Other wise still saying good bye to out of date PinMAME.

I've gotten the impression PinMAME was pretty accurate, hence no need to improve it. Visual Pinball almost died a few years ago, then suddenly it was revived with a flourish, and that scene exploded. I haven't been keeping up with it for a few years, and haven't even upgraded beyond....mmmm....3.0 or something. Great looking newly made tables back then even.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Unit3D Pinball Beta released! new [Re: John IV]
#342340 - 07/10/15 09:56 PM

> To the original topic, Unit3D has progressed quite well for those of us who have followed its slow annual dev cycle over the years.

> The lighting effects you can tweak are quite immersive and it's great having a 3D world to play in *PLUS* hooks into the ROMs for proper game logic and scoring. I find the physics to be much better than FP at this point.

> (Granted, FP has made great strides over the last year or so with 'recreations' based on extracting sounds and DMD images from MAME and some XML physics tweaks/injections. But the base code has been abandoned by Chris and was never released to the public to continue it).

That looks awesome. The ball physics look pretty decent. The two defining things are playfield friction, and (perhaps more importantly) ball angular momentum, which means it corkscrews in peculiar ways. Without the latter element, the game would be a LOT easier.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 381 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4779