MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

"I live... again!"... ZSNES new SVN releases popping up.
#341334 - 06/11/15 01:03 PM

After all these years, it appears that ZSNES is still alive. New SVN releases have been released recently. The audio is not available yet since they haven't yet installed the new audio core they've implemented. But it's nice to see that the old-timer is still alive.

http://www.emucr.com/2015/06/zsnes-svn-r5311.html

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: "I live... again!"... ZSNES new SVN releases popping up. new [Re: Big Karnak]
#341343 - 06/11/15 04:17 PM

> But it's nice to see that the
> old-timer is still alive.

Hooray, one of the least accurate SNES emulators is still alive!

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

Re: "I live... again!"... ZSNES new SVN releases popping up. new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#341357 - 06/12/15 12:31 AM

> > But it's nice to see that the
> > old-timer is still alive.
>
> Hooray, one of the least accurate SNES emulators is still alive!

Seriously. Someone needs to kill it with fire this time.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: "I live... again!"... ZSNES new SVN releases popping up. new [Re: Shoegazr]
#341367 - 06/12/15 03:41 AM

Nostalgia boys... nostalgia.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: "I live... again!"... ZSNES new SVN releases popping up. new [Re: Big Karnak]
#341373 - 06/12/15 09:14 AM

Wait, is this the rewrite they've been promising for years? If so, it might actually be worth a glance when they're done.

Edit: Ah, not yet. The new core supposed to be merged in at some point in the next few months. Plus, this is a EMUCR build, and there have been reports of infected files off that site.

Well, at least it's interesting to hear that there's actually some visible progress.

Edited by Firehawke (06/12/15 09:16 AM)

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

Re: "I live... again!"... ZSNES new SVN releases popping up. new [Re: Shoegazr]
#341429 - 06/13/15 12:11 PM

> > > But it's nice to see that the
> > > old-timer is still alive.
> >
> > Hooray, one of the least accurate SNES emulators is still alive!
>
> Seriously. Someone needs to kill it with fire this time.

Why?? We have MAME, that huge evergrowing Emu-eater in the center of the emu-niverse. Cant wait for the cash-registers emulation .

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

Re: "I live... again!"... ZSNES new SVN releases popping up. new [Re: uman]
#341438 - 06/13/15 06:12 PM

> > > > But it's nice to see that the
> > > > old-timer is still alive.
> > >
> > > Hooray, one of the least accurate SNES emulators is still alive!
> >
> > Seriously. Someone needs to kill it with fire this time.
>
> Why?? We have MAME, that huge evergrowing Emu-eater in the center of the emu-niverse.
> Cant wait for the cash-registers emulation .

That's actually pretty funny, assuming you were just trying to be humourous at the expense of missing my point.

I'm going to help you save face. Here: I know you recognize and fully understand what I've told you before; namely that MAME does not yet emulate the SNES as well as others such as bsnes, so until then it's a pointless comparison. Regardless, ZNES is like the once-magnificent-but-now-smelly beached-whale that so no sane person wants to go near. The fact that some hapless soul found interest in poking its bloated corpse of a codebase does not change the fact that it belongs to the ages, with MAME presiding over its eventual funeral and proper burial.

...but you knew that. So yes, thanks for the laughs!

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: "I live... again!"... ZSNES new SVN releases popping up. new [Re: Firehawke]
#341469 - 06/14/15 09:40 AM

> Wait, is this the rewrite they've been promising for years? If so, it might actually
> be worth a glance when they're done.
>
> Edit: Ah, not yet. The new core supposed to be merged in at some point in the next
> few months. Plus, this is a EMUCR build, and there have been reports of infected
> files off that site.
>
> Well, at least it's interesting to hear that there's actually some visible progress.

bsnes killed zsnes. lol

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Re: "I live... again!"... ZSNES new SVN releases popping up. new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#341474 - 06/14/15 03:12 PM

I don't think its such a bad thing. It's good for some of us who have computers that don't quite have the juice for BSNES. No one but us gives a shit about these games anyway, so its not like the people downloading/running ZSNES are under some illusion of accuracy.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: "I live... again!"... ZSNES new SVN releases popping up. new [Re: DiodeDude]
#341475 - 06/14/15 04:21 PM

> its not like the people downloading/running ZSNES are under some illusion
> of accuracy.

Actually, yeah, it is. The majority of casual people downloading emulators and using them to play ROMs don't know the first thing about accuracy. Since they don't know anything about it, they go with something like ZSNES, or something like RetroArch, and just assume that it's accurate. They assume it's accurate because they don't even know that there is such a concept as accuracy in an emulator.

These are the same countless people, hobby programmers included, who have overlooked MESS simply because they didn't know it even existed, and for whom the merging of MAME and MESS has been a wake up call.

Most long-time emulation enthusiasts assume that every other emulator user is as aware of the history of emulation as they are, and that just isn't the case. The fact that the most common emulation-related searches on search engines turn up outdated, inaccurate emulators is actually, literally, a problem for those of us interested in accurate preservation of history. The average person is going to go through the path of least resistance.

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

#341476 - 06/14/15 05:16 PM

buy a real SNES, buy a Everdrive cardridge... all in for about 150-200$... enjoy the real thing

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

#341496 - 06/15/15 04:15 AM

What are these people who are casually downloading/playing Roms truly missing? You're in contact with a lot more people than me, so I'm not gonna not to debate you. Based on the people I've met, most of them don't give a shit about 8-16 bit consoles and generally laugh at the games they see running. Games of that era don't hold your hand, are difficult to master, gfx are shit and therefore scoffed at.

For the record, I think there is a place for MAME and emulators like ZSNES. Those that want accuracy will use MAME and the people that just want to play a game and have no interest in dicking with settings/configurations will use a simple to use, standalone emulator like ZSNES. MAME is about documentation after all, not playing free games.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

Re: "I live... again!"... ZSNES new SVN releases popping up. new [Re: DiodeDude]
#341509 - 06/15/15 12:29 PM

I prefer Snes9x emulator. Even though they aren't updating that emulator anymore.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: "I live... again!"... ZSNES new SVN releases popping up. new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#341511 - 06/15/15 01:58 PM

Quote:

I prefer Snes9x emulator. Even though they aren't updating that emulator anymore.

Yes they are! Here are the newly released Test Builds:

http://www.s9x-w32.de/dl/testbuilds/

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

#341516 - 06/15/15 04:19 PM

Holy Moly! I didn't know about that. Last Snes9x version I have is from 2.5 years ago.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Loc: Italy
Send PM

Re: "I live... again!"... ZSNES new SVN releases popping up. new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#341517 - 06/15/15 04:58 PM

It's the same for VICE. Latest official version is pretty old but there's a lot of work "behind the scenes" and unstable builds to test.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#341518 - 06/15/15 05:24 PM

> Nostalgia boys... nostalgia.

What is so nostalgic about a UI that, IMO, sucks?

*Not even talking about the emulation*

eta: No need to answer, I just wanted to chime in on how much I hate that UI.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (06/15/15 05:28 PM)

LEVEL-4

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: "I live... again!"... ZSNES new SVN releases popping up. new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#341536 - 06/16/15 04:32 AM

So I guess you don't want me to post the link to the newly updated and resurrected Nesticle emulator?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 357 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3023