View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

arromdee
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/05/15
Send PM

Another Linux Problem
#341158 - 06/06/15 11:00 PM

Trying to resolve my Linux problems, I started to get very suspicious of my "speed problem". My PC is a modern machine (AMD FX-4350 processor) and really should not have problems running Twinbee or Pacman. I've been assuming that the speed problem was caused by a slow video card and drivers.

However, what I found upon further testing is that four games that run at 60.606060 hz (galaxian, pacman, redalert, twinbee) ran at around 99% fullscreen. ladybug, popeye, and kchamp which run at 60 hz exactly, ran at exactly 100%. Legionnaire and Godzilla are on the same hardware. Godzilla is about 61 hz. Legionnaire is 60. Godzilla ran at 98.4%, the slowest I found, and Legionnaire at 100%.

Conclusion: I don't have a speed problem, I have a problem with games that run at >60 hz. (Note: Since running at 99% causes sound glitches, it's *very* noticeable.)

This is even more suspicious because I observe that 99% = (60 / 60.60606060) and 98.4% = (60 / 61)

However, this is odd because
1) waitvsync is off.
2) Running in a small window produces 100% anyway. Manually enlarging the window reaches a point where it's 99% (98.4 for Godzilla), but this point is at less than full screen.

Is this a bug? Can anyone reproduce this?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Another Linux Problem new [Re: arromdee]
#341161 - 06/07/15 01:11 AM

> Trying to resolve my Linux problems, I started to get very suspicious of my "speed
> problem". My PC is a modern machine (AMD FX-4350 processor) and really should not
> have problems running Twinbee or Pacman. I've been assuming that the speed problem
> was caused by a slow video card and drivers.

-sdlvideofps will show how fast your video card is in a pure video card scenario for a game at the current resolution. If it's not at least 500% you may have issues.

arromdee
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/05/15
Send PM

Re: Another Linux Problem new [Re: R. Belmont]
#341166 - 06/07/15 04:04 AM

I don't get anywhere near that much unless I run in a small window. However, it seems that cause and effect is reversed here--it seems as though the problem is *causing* a low FPS rate. Legionnaire gives me 135 and Godzilla gives me 70 and they're the same hardware. Pac-Man gives me 70 and Ladybug gives me 230. I don't for a moment believe that Pac-Man is three times as hard to emulate as Ladybug.

Why would I get a low video FPS rate for all games that are greater than 60 hz, but a high video FPS rate for games that are 60 hz? And why would the normal FPS rate happen to be almost exactly equal to 60 divided by the number of frames per second the game is supposed to produce?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 374 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1081