yoeddy
Sound perfectionist
Reged: 12/27/03
Loc: Boise, Idaho
Send PM

Checking in...Mario Bros. and DK Junior sound
#340994 - 06/03/15 12:53 AM

Hi guys,

Great update with 0.162! Just curious if there are still plans to fix the sounds in the Mario Bros walking and Donkey Kong Junior jump sounds.

Thanks,
Jason

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Checking in...Mario Bros. and DK Junior sound new [Re: yoeddy]
#341027 - 06/03/15 07:42 PM

> Hi guys,
>
> Great update with 0.162! Just curious if there are still plans to fix the sounds in
> the Mario Bros walking and Donkey Kong Junior jump sounds.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

As far as I'm concerned, the jump sounds are accurate for Donkey Kong Jr and I haven't seen proof to the contrary. Mario walking has been known and will be worked on when possible. Again, constantly mentioning something wrong that is known does not equate to results in getting it fixed.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Checking in...Mario Bros. and DK Junior sound new [Re: Tafoid]
#341035 - 06/03/15 11:05 PM

> As far as I'm concerned, the jump sounds are accurate for Donkey Kong Jr and I haven't seen proof to the contrary. Mario walking has been known and will be worked on when possible. Again, constantly mentioning something wrong that is known does not equate to results in getting it fixed.

In short, he means that anything noted at MAMEtesters will be noticed by those who want it fixed.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

couriersud
Reged: 03/27/07
Send PM

#341039 - 06/03/15 11:38 PM

>
> Great update with 0.162! Just curious if there are still plans to fix the sounds in
> the Mario Bros walking and Donkey Kong Junior jump sounds.
>

A quick look at the source may help from time to time. Change

#define OLD_SOUND (1)

to

#define OLD_SOUND (0)

in mame/include/mario.h and get netlist mario sound. The Luigi sound is still missing - that's why it is not yet enabled by default.

yoeddy
Sound perfectionist
Send PM

Re: Checking in...Mario Bros. and DK Junior sound new [Re: Traso]
#341056 - 06/04/15 06:05 AM

No problem guys. I was just curious.

However, I'm curious what others think about the jump sound. I just played this in our local arcade the other day and then played it in MAME. The arcade jump sound is higher pitched for sure.

Do some comparisons in MAME compared to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVKYjwePRS8

Thanks,
Jason

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#341066 - 06/04/15 03:43 PM

Maybe I don't hear very well, but from what I can tell, they sound exactly the same to me. Or if there is any difference, is to subtle to really notice. I remember this being brought up in a past topic and they said there can be several factors. Like using a modern pc with modern speakers & hardware compared to different older speakers in the arcade cab that can make the sounds seem different

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Checking in...Mario Bros. and DK Junior sound new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#341193 - 06/07/15 08:50 PM

> Maybe I don't hear very well, but from what I can tell, they sound exactly the same to me. Or if there is any difference, is to subtle to really notice. I remember this being brought up in a past topic and they said there can be several factors. Like using a modern pc with modern speakers & hardware compared to different older speakers in the arcade cab that can make the sounds seem different

No, yoeddy is correct. I'd like these to be fixed, too. I just haven't said anything about it.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#341196 - 06/07/15 09:10 PM

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to agree with Tafoid on this. I don't think there is any discernible difference. And no real proof that it's any different than the arcade. I think the only difference you hear is the difference between a pc speaker & sound card vs the speakers & board of an arcade cab. I think the devs want more proof than it just sounding different to you. So far no one can provide that.

Here is the original post about this issue from 2 years ago. Pretty much the same argument stated in this one. Ultimately, again, Tafoid explaining that it's pretty much perfect and no changes need to be made. And an explanation of the arcade vs a pc...

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

Edited by Envisaged0ne (06/07/15 09:20 PM)

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Checking in...Mario Bros. and DK Junior sound new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#341269 - 06/09/15 08:54 AM Attachment: arcades to visit.zip 9 KB (3 downloads)

> Sorry, but I'm gonna have to agree with Tafoid on this. I don't think there is any discernible difference. And no real proof that it's any different than the arcade.

The KLOV kids are becoming MAME-friendly, so maybe yoeddy could appeal to some of them. I think the UK/Euro collectors don't have a high horse to ride, so they'd be a good bet to try. Or just ask any of the arcade owners around the country..... Attached is a folder of site links.

yoeddy
Sound perfectionist
Send PM

#341308 - 06/10/15 08:28 AM

> > Sorry, but I'm gonna have to agree with Tafoid on this. I don't think there is any
> discernible difference. And no real proof that it's any different than the arcade.
>
>
> The KLOV kids are becoming MAME-friendly, so maybe yoeddy could appeal to some of
> them. I think the UK/Euro collectors don't have a high horse to ride, so they'd be a
> good bet to try. Or just ask any of the arcade owners around the country.....
> Attached is a folder of site links.

Grinker's Grand Palace in Boise, Idaho definitely needs to be added to that zip file.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU6OG3R3txU

This is where I go to compare sounds between arcade machines and MAME.

Thanks,
Jason

delt31
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/18/15
Send PM

Re: Checking in...Mario Bros. and DK Junior sound new [Re: couriersud]
#344144 - 08/18/15 05:14 AM

> >
> > Great update with 0.162! Just curious if there are still plans to fix the sounds in
> > the Mario Bros walking and Donkey Kong Junior jump sounds.
> >
>
> A quick look at the source may help from time to time. Change
>
> #define OLD_SOUND (1)
>
> to
>
> #define OLD_SOUND (0)
>
> in mame/include/mario.h and get netlist mario sound. The Luigi sound is still missing
> - that's why it is not yet enabled by default.

I'm sorry but I'm not following how to do this. I REALLY want to get the real run sound to play and although there are samples on websites, my current mame 163 doesn't seem to recognize them. Can you explain how to enable the true run sound (or at least another option) as noted above? Would it require me to recompile mame?

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Checking in...Mario Bros. and DK Junior sound new [Re: delt31]
#344147 - 08/18/15 07:15 AM

> Can you explain how to enable the true run sound (or at least
> another option) as noted above? Would it require me to recompile mame?

Yes of course, changing stuff in the source code doesn't do anything if you don't compile a binary.

Open mario.h in any text-editor (for this, notepad will do), make the change as instructed and compile.

S

delt31
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/18/15
Send PM

Re: Checking in...Mario Bros. and DK Junior sound new [Re: Sune]
#344173 - 08/19/15 03:44 AM

Ok that is what I thought. Too bad. Am I no longer able to use samples for this? I tried but no dice (added samples in sample folder). Basically is there any other way to fix the run sound myself without recompiling?

TafoidAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Checking in...Mario Bros. and DK Junior sound new [Re: delt31]
#344174 - 08/19/15 03:57 AM

> Ok that is what I thought. Too bad. Am I no longer able to use samples for this? I
> tried but no dice (added samples in sample folder). Basically is there any other way
> to fix the run sound myself without recompiling?

Samples stopped being used starting with the release version 0.123. You could download 0.122 or earlier and use your samples with that MAME binary. http://new.mamedev.org/oldrel.html

yoeddy
Sound perfectionist
Send PM

Re: Checking in...Mario Bros. and DK Junior sound new [Re: Tafoid]
#344182 - 08/19/15 07:40 AM

If the samples sound true to the original game, wouldn't the goal be to integrate the sound of the sample permanently into the code?

Thanks,
Jason

TafoidAdministrator
Send PM

#344186 - 08/19/15 08:03 AM

> If the samples sound true to the original game, wouldn't the goal be to integrate the
> sound of the sample permanently into the code?
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

No. Samples are not perfect and never will be. Considering many of the available sample packs were recorded from a cabinet speaker output (not directly from PCB's sound output) and may have been post processed with noise filters or enhanced in other ways to make them sound cleaner, they are not considered acceptable when emulation is an option. This is why all games that are currently in source which still have samples attached are flagged as having imperfect sound. In the end, emulation is the ultimate goal for all things even if something is known to have known flaws which may be fixed someday soon.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 361 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2623