MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

JackOfOwls
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/16/15
Send PM

Recommended gamepad for MAME with good d-pad?
#340184 - 05/19/15 03:40 PM

Just had to RMA a Mad Catz Street Fighter IV fightpad because it arrived from Amazon with something broken off and rattling around inside like your grandma's Thanksgiving Day gourd from the 1950s. My sister bought the exact same one at the same time (the Street Fighter IV Bundle for PC which includes the game & the fightpad) and hers didn't work either. My question is this: is there a reasonable (and reasonably priced, say $50-$75 USD) alternative? Prefer the gamepad to a stick, and I definitely want something with the same form factor as the Mad Catz (which in turn is borrowed from the Sega 16-bit/32-bit controllers) with a high quality d-pad & six buttons on the front, and USB. Or am I just a dreamer in an ivory tower here to want so much for so little?

Yeah, I know I can buy one of those cheap Chinese Sega-clone 6-button knock-offs for like $15 bucks but I would prefer that it last longer than a bag of Doritos and can survive a drop from a height of 12" onto a carpeted floor. Or maybe I should just keep RMAing the fightpad until I get a good one? I don't know. I'll be using it for all my emulation needs that don't require analog sticks by the way. My wonderful Xbox 360 Controller just doesn't cut it for arcade type games because that damn D-pad makes my poor thumb feel like it's been goosing one of the Stone Men from Game Of Thrones for hours after only a few minutes. I want something...floaty. What do y'all use here?

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Recommended gamepad for MAME with good d-pad? new [Re: JackOfOwls]
#340188 - 05/19/15 04:50 PM

I use the Logitech F310... It's D-Pad is pretty good. It's not exactly like the Saturn Pad, but it's close (more on that at the end of this post). It also has the layout of a PS3 pad, so I don't know if the 4 buttons all together would be a deal breaker for you or not. I've gotten used to using the shoulder buttons/triggers for Fierce/Roundhouse.

The D-Pad is raised like the Saturn's, but it can be pressed down in the middle so that you'd be pressing UDLR directions all at once. I've used another controller that had this "feature" (if it can even be called that) & I can't understand why they don't have a pivot point in the center so you can't press 3 or 4 directions at once. It must be a Patent issue, and if they include the pivot point they'd be in legal trouble.

LEVEL-4

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

What's wrong with a 360 pad? new [Re: JackOfOwls]
#340189 - 05/19/15 05:24 PM

> Just had to RMA a Mad Catz Street Fighter IV fightpad because it arrived from Amazon
> with something broken off and rattling around inside like your grandma's Thanksgiving
> Day gourd from the 1950s. My sister bought the exact same one at the same time (the
> Street Fighter IV Bundle for PC which includes the game & the fightpad) and hers
> didn't work either. My question is this: is there a reasonable (and reasonably
> priced, say $50-$75 USD) alternative? Prefer the gamepad to a stick, and I definitely
> want something with the same form factor as the Mad Catz (which in turn is borrowed
> from the Sega 16-bit/32-bit controllers) with a high quality d-pad & six buttons on
> the front, and USB. Or am I just a dreamer in an ivory tower here to want so much for
> so little?
>
> Yeah, I know I can buy one of those cheap Chinese Sega-clone 6-button knock-offs for
> like $15 bucks but I would prefer that it last longer than a bag of Doritos and can
> survive a drop from a height of 12" onto a carpeted floor. Or maybe I should just
> keep RMAing the fightpad until I get a good one? I don't know. I'll be using it for
> all my emulation needs that don't require analog sticks by the way. My wonderful Xbox
> 360 Controller just doesn't cut it for arcade type games because that damn D-pad
> makes my poor thumb feel like it's been goosing one of the Stone Men from Game Of
> Thrones for hours after only a few minutes. I want something...floaty. What do y'all
> use here?

No kidding. I prefer that thing to a PS1/2-styled D-pad.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#340195 - 05/19/15 07:03 PM

I have been using 2 Logitech Dual Action controllers since 2006. Hope you like PlayStation controllers, as it's basically a DualShock clone but with a round style D-Pad in place of the 4-way style design the Sony controller uses. Both of my gamepads have had the internal rubber pads replaced more than once, courtesy of MAME and other emulators (luckily the D-Pad has the same spacing as the NES/SNES/N64 and PSX/PS2/PS3 D-Pad, so parts are easy to come by).

And no, I wouldn't use an Xbox gamepad if I was given one for free! You'd think Microsoft would have learned after the Sidewinder... I think the Master System controller even wins over the Xbox's D-Pad.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#340196 - 05/19/15 08:03 PM

I usually use a 360 pad, but it's super-mushy and not ideal for all games. Both of the new consoles' controllers, the XBOne pad and the DualShock 4, have *much* crisper d-pads where there's nearly an actual click when you press in a direction. Depending on your OS using either of those in MAME may not yet be easily possible, but if you run across one give it a try.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Recommended gamepad for MAME with good d-pad? new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#340202 - 05/19/15 10:11 PM

> I have been using 2 Logitech Dual Action controllers since 2006. Hope you like
> PlayStation controllers, as it's basically a DualShock clone but with a round style
> D-Pad in place of the 4-way style design the Sony controller uses. Both of my
> gamepads have had the internal rubber pads replaced more than once, courtesy of MAME
> and other emulators (luckily the D-Pad has the same spacing as the NES/SNES/N64 and
> PSX/PS2/PS3 D-Pad, so parts are easy to come by).

The rubber pads haven't died in my two Dual Action controllers, but an analog stick has died in one. Also they have crappy D-pads - far too easy to accidentally hit a diagonal instead of going straight.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Recommended gamepad for MAME with good d-pad? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#340203 - 05/19/15 10:14 PM

I use a PS3 and X360 controller. I prefer the PS3 for the D-Pad when playing the SF games. Esp when doing the special moves (like dragon punch, etc). Much easier to pull of those moves IMO.

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Recommended gamepad for MAME with good d-pad? new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#340207 - 05/19/15 11:15 PM

PSX + N64 USB converter \o/ \o/ \o/

https://youtu.be/YXfyBoRQYaw

Windows will install the driver when you plug it in. Also, 6 button layout is great for fighters and you have the option of using the D-pad or Analog (You can specifically remap the input in MAME's menu based on what you like.

So N64 controller is pretty awesome for Arcade games and when I fire up some SOTN using the psx driver, I can switch to my Dualshock 2 \o/ \o/ \o/

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#340216 - 05/20/15 03:10 AM

I don't think I've used a Mad Catz but for years I've been partial to Saitek, you might want to check them out. Probably places like Best Buy or Wal-Mart might have some display models of tons of controllers you can grip before buying?

JackOfOwls
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/16/15
Send PM

Re: Recommended gamepad for MAME with good d-pad? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#340519 - 05/27/15 04:12 PM

Update: Well, I decided to go with the Mad Catz Street Fighter IV fightpad after all. After much anguish in RMAing the first broken one and trying to get the working one working under Windows 7 (no one told me you had to install the driver for the wireless version of Xbox 360 Controller. What an idiot I was, to actually think that my wired Mad Catz would need a wireless driver to be recognized under Windows plug n play *sarcasm-smirk*), I have decided that I think I made the right choice.

The fightpad feels right though I still wish those diagonals were a little smoother on the D-pad but I suppose this is the nature of gamepad D-pads, and it's infinitely preferable to the Microsoft Xbox 360 controller's D-pad which is a hard plastic pile of poo, like those hard plastic turds you bought in joke shops. I think I eventually might end up getting a cheap arcade stick then modding it with higher quality buttons & stick. I really want easy diagonals. Anyway, thanks for all the recommendations

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: What's wrong with a 360 pad? new [Re: Foxhack]
#340536 - 05/27/15 07:05 PM

> No kidding. I prefer that thing to a PS1/2-styled D-pad.

Try playing a four-way joystick game with it, like Burger Time, Pac Man, Mr. Driller, Lady Bug etc. It's way too easy to get stuck.

I know blaming the controls is as old an excuse as gaming itself but this time it's real.

S

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: What's wrong with a 360 pad? new [Re: Sune]
#340686 - 05/30/15 12:18 AM

> Try playing a four-way joystick game with it, like Burger Time, Pac Man, Mr. Driller, Lady Bug etc. It's way too easy to get stuck.
>
> I know blaming the controls is as old an excuse as gaming itself but this time it's real.

> S

Always was. Right controls for the right game. Why the 60-in-1 cbas are kind of a joke.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 152 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2452