MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

JackOfOwls
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/16/15
Send PM

MameUI 0.161 reporting missing dumps with favorite games that worked fine before
#340095 - 05/17/15 03:43 PM

I noticed that two of my favorite MAME games - D&D's Shadow over Mystara & D&D's Tower of Doom - report with the dreaded "One or more ROMs/CHDs for this game have not been correctly dumped" error in the latest version/romset of MAMEUI64 0.161 but that a previous version of MAME32 0.122 reports no problems with these games. I understand that this is typical with ongoing MAME builds, that some games are no longer going to show up when audited with no missing roms. Forgive the noobish question but is there a way to make sure all the old roms work as they once did in the latest MAME builds? For now I've reverted back to 0.122 but would like the latest update so I can enjoy the newer games now working in 0.161.

Hadou Ken
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/07/06
Send PM

Re: MameUI 0.161 reporting missing dumps with favorite games that worked fine before new [Re: JackOfOwls]
#340097 - 05/17/15 05:12 PM

Your ignorance is forgiven. That's an old build you got. Time to update your shit. MAME is always changing never static.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: MameUI 0.161 reporting missing dumps with favorite games that worked fine before new [Re: JackOfOwls]
#340098 - 05/17/15 05:14 PM

You have to learn how to use ClrMame and pleasuredome tracker to keep your sets up to date.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: MameUI 0.161 reporting missing dumps with favorite games that worked fine before new [Re: Smitdogg]
#340099 - 05/17/15 05:18 PM

> You have to learn how to use ClrMame and ... to keep your sets up to
> date.

Technically, you're breaking forums rules by saying that.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: MameUI 0.161 reporting missing dumps with favorite games that worked fine before new [Re: Master O]
#340103 - 05/17/15 05:21 PM

There are no forum rules anymore. I just haven't deleted that page because it probably does more good than bad.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Send PM

Re: MameUI 0.161 reporting missing dumps with favorite games that worked fine before new [Re: Smitdogg]
#340104 - 05/17/15 05:23 PM

> There are no forum rules anymore. I just haven't deleted that page because it
> probably does more good than bad.

I definitely remember seeing somewhere on the forum that we could not mention those kinds of links here for obvious legal reasons.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: MameUI 0.161 reporting missing dumps with favorite games that worked fine before new [Re: Master O]
#340105 - 05/17/15 05:26 PM

There's nothing illegal about me typing the words "pleasuredome tracker". I think twisty made that rule in 2003 to make the forums more enjoyable because rom begs annoy people. And anyway after the Internet Archive put the whole set up and nothing happened I'm not exactly worried about jail time for typing words on my own forum. Never was actually.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#340109 - 05/17/15 06:23 PM

> There's nothing illegal about me typing the words "pleasuredome tracker". I think
> twisty made that rule in 2003 to make the forums more enjoyable because rom begs
> annoy people. And anyway after the Internet Archive put the whole set up and nothing
> happened I'm not exactly worried about jail time for typing words on my own forum.
> Never was actually.

Say it three times fast and a copyright lawyer will show up.

Kinda like Beetlejuice, only a lot more Ben Stein-y.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#340110 - 05/17/15 06:24 PM

> There's nothing illegal about me typing the words "pleasuredome tracker". I think
> twisty made that rule in 2003 to make the forums more enjoyable because rom begs
> annoy people. And anyway after the Internet Archive put the whole set up and nothing
> happened I'm not exactly worried about jail time for typing words on my own forum.
> Never was actually.

Have I mentioned lately that I like you? I like you.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Send PM

#340114 - 05/17/15 07:56 PM

> Never was actually.

I never said it was illegal. I just remember there being a rule about not mentioning roms links on the forums, but you then clarified that Twisty created that rule because people hated annoying rom requests.

"Note to Noobs:

C.D.~"

Olivier Galibert
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

#340117 - 05/17/15 10:33 PM

Just FYI, it was also a consequence of the decss decision that a link to something illegal was as illegal as the pointed-to thingy in the USA. Not that I expect any right owner to care about mameworld :-)

OG.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: MameUI 0.161 reporting missing dumps with favorite games that worked fine before new [Re: Olivier Galibert]
#340119 - 05/17/15 10:47 PM

I'm pretty sure that would have to be a direct download link to a copyrighted file though, and they don't even have those on pleasuredome. I can also write "pirate bay" etc. all day long. Either way I just don't care.

JackOfOwls
MAME Fan
Send PM

#340125 - 05/18/15 12:57 AM

> You have to learn how to use ClrMame and pleasuredome tracker to keep your sets up to
> date.

Is there a tutorial for this anywhere? I have the "rollback 0.161" romsets from the PD. Is this what I would need in conjunction with ClrMame? In a nutshell, I'd like to keep the latest MAMEUI64 build (0.161) with the latest romsets but have those old games work reliably again, so I'm assuming I'm pointed in the right direction here. Thanks for any help.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#340126 - 05/18/15 01:13 AM

No rollback is for something else. Your set is so old now you'd either need to download the full newest romset or run clrmame on your roms and then in utorrent or whatever client you'd have to open the full set torrent and then "select none" then check each one you need (pain in the ass which is why it's easier to stay current). If you stay up to date though then after you are current and a new mame comes out you can just grab the update torrents (labeled something like "161 to 162 update" etc.) and then just drop those into clrmame after a scan and it should be straight. If you want to keep the 122 stuff as is then you'd need to make a copy paste of it all into another folder because romsets change and clrmame is going to edit them into a 161-friendly state which would no longer be a 122-friendly state. I think there is a clrmame tutorial or 2 out there but I don't have links handy.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: MameUI 0.161 reporting missing dumps with favorite games that worked fine before new [Re: Foxhack]
#340127 - 05/18/15 02:15 AM

> > There's nothing illegal about me typing the words "pleasuredome tracker". I think
> > twisty made that rule in 2003 to make the forums more enjoyable because rom begs
> > annoy people. And anyway after the Internet Archive put the whole set up and
> nothing
> > happened I'm not exactly worried about jail time for typing words on my own forum.
> > Never was actually.
>
> Say it three times fast and a copyright lawyer will show up.
>
> Kinda like Beetlejuice, only a lot more Ben Stein-y.

I've registered an account w/ PT, but the rules give me a sense of being hired on to a new job... You go into the boss's office, he's smoking a cigarette, too involved with his paperwork to even bother glancing up at you, all the while saying that you better share whatever you get or your ass is out of here, now have a nice day and get the fuck out of my office.

Ooookay. Onto the Internet Archive it is. & Besides, I only wanted a few select files, not terabytes worth of stuff I'll never have any interest in playing, much less time...

LEVEL-4

JackOfOwls
MAME Fan
Send PM

#340128 - 05/18/15 02:35 AM

> No rollback is for something else. Your set is so old now you'd either need to
> download the full newest romset or run clrmame on your roms and then in utorrent or
> whatever client you'd have to open the full set torrent and then "select none" then
> check each one you need (pain in the ass which is why it's easier to stay current).
> If you stay up to date though then after you are current and a new mame comes out you
> can just grab the update torrents (labeled something like "161 to 162 update" etc.)
> and then just drop those into clrmame after a scan and it should be straight. If you
> want to keep the 122 stuff as is then you'd need to make a copy paste of it all into
> another folder because romsets change and clrmame is going to edit them into a
> 161-friendly state which would no longer be a 122-friendly state. I think there is a
> clrmame tutorial or 2 out there but I don't have links handy.

Okay, I'm thinking I didn't make myself clear in my original post. The thing is I do have the latest 0.161 romsets (which I got from Pleasurdome) which I loaded into the latest MameUI64 build (0.161) and then discovered the two games mentioned in my original post had "Needs Redump" errors when I audited them in MameUI when they didn't have these errors in a previous version of Mame32 (0.122u1). The games themselves load fine in the new build but that warning about missing roms makes me think I will experience major issues during gameplay because of missing roms. It's all kind of confusing to me. At the end of the end and in a perfect world, I just want the latest MAME build with the latest romsets (which I have) and have all the games that worked error free in all previous MAME builds work in the current build but I guess I'm misunderstanding the nature of MAME and it's dynamic nature and ask for too much.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#340129 - 05/18/15 02:43 AM

The rom needs redump message can mean essentially nothing to users (in some cases) like if it's a pal chip that isn't even used in the emulation. Just ignore it. If you tell me the exact game I can probably tell you more but you're getting into an area now that is not really something that can be fully explained to a new user in a quick reply. Short answer, it could mean something to you or it could not. If it's a game where that didn't happen before in 122 then the game will probably play just as well as it did before now in 161, just ignore the message.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: MameUI 0.161 reporting missing dumps with favorite games that worked fine before new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#340130 - 05/18/15 03:49 AM

No the mame torrents all have "free" attached to them so there are no sharing requirements for them.

JackOfOwls
MAME Fan
Send PM

#340131 - 05/18/15 04:40 AM

> The rom needs redump message can mean essentially nothing to users (in some cases)
> like if it's a pal chip that isn't even used in the emulation. Just ignore it. If you
> tell me the exact game I can probably tell you more but you're getting into an area
> now that is not really something that can be fully explained to a new user in a quick
> reply. Short answer, it could mean something to you or it could not. If it's a game
> where that didn't happen before in 122 then the game will probably play just as well
> as it did before now in 161, just ignore the message.

The games are Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara and Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom. Here's the cut & paste of the error messages after auditing:
ddsom : qsound.bin (8192 bytes) - NEEDS REDUMP
ddtod : qsound.bin (8192 bytes) - NEEDS REDUMP

I'm noticing that qsound.bin frequently comes up in Needs Redump msgs. Also, the roms seem to be a couple of megabytes larger in the old 0.122 romset than in 0.161

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#340132 - 05/18/15 04:42 AM

That's a chip decap where we aren't sure if it's 100% correct. I don't even think it's hooked up yet. Just ignore the message.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

#340134 - 05/18/15 05:31 AM

And you can go through & choose only the ones you want. (Though that may take more time than just d/ling the entire torrent)

If you think they sound bad you better stay out of the deep end of the web. IMO that's 1 of best & easiest.

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

JackOfOwls
MAME Fan
Send PM

#340145 - 05/18/15 07:02 PM

> That's a chip decap where we aren't sure if it's 100% correct. I don't even think
> it's hooked up yet. Just ignore the message.

Thanks for the peace of mind. I have plans to build a Master Emulator Machine on XBMC for my big screen television with every known emulator & romset, and I want it to be perfect, so please forgive me if I'm acting a bit OCD & anal (and throw in a touch of aspergers while we're at it) about it. And with this Master Emulator Machine (henceforth named MEM, in honor of my late dear french grandmother whom we called MEMe) that will completely, utterly & accurately emulate every game that ever existed at a full 120 FPS, I will conquer da world! But seriously thanks for the help. Now I just have to hope that Choplifter which reports multiple missing roms in the new 0.160 romset whereas it didn't report any in 0.122 won't explode in a spray of broken CRT glass & burnt out rom chips when I'm in the middle of playing it. Cheers

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: MameUI 0.161 reporting missing dumps with favorite games that worked fine before new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#340146 - 05/18/15 07:24 PM

> And you can go through & choose only the ones you want. (Though that may take more
> time than just d/ling the entire torrent)
>
> If you think they sound bad you better stay out of the deep end of the web. IMO
> that's 1 of best & easiest.

Agreed. I only stick to the free stuff (for the most part I only use the site for MAME updates) and have never had any ratio issues. Hell I have like 3 GB of upload credit just from the stuff I download.

Plus they make torrents freeleech once a year so you can use that time to grab everything you need. Wink. Nudge. Saynomore.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#340163 - 05/19/15 07:56 AM

>OCD & anal (and throw in a touch of aspergers while we're at it

You're in good company round here. (me included). It's very hard to start "collecting" something and stop when the collection is incomplete / imperfect.

I kept my MAME up to date with just about every release up until v0.80 or thereabouts, but then RL caught up to me and I started skipping updates until something I wanted to checkout was released. I've spent many dozens of hours scrounging round ftp, etc sites looking for the latest / correct versions of files (and writing my own tools to monitor rom audits, automate the process of updating, and lots of other things).

Completion is one tough mother of a master.

>that will completely, utterly & accurately emulate every game that ever existed
> at a full 120 FPS, I will conquer da world!

That's a wonderful dream. Good luck !

Moose

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 266 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4649