http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3715406/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

Re: Atari: Game Over is now on Netflix streamer new [Re: Smitdogg]
#339321 - 04/27/15 03:34 PM

It's also on demand on one of the premium cable stations. Encore/ShowTime/Starz/ I forget which one. I watched it last night.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Atari: Game Over is now on Netflix streamer new [Re: Big Karnak]
#339337 - 04/28/15 01:28 AM

It's Showtime.

Caught it Sunday morning. Not bad. Some interesting stuff in there. Though I'd really rather had a lot more history in it & less of the dig.

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Atari: Game Over is now on Netflix streamer new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#339340 - 04/28/15 03:03 AM

I could have done with more drug stories. The part where they turned down his crap weed and brought out the good stuff was tits.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

#339341 - 04/28/15 03:08 AM

It's also on usenet.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

GatKong
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

#339343 - 04/28/15 03:57 AM

A wonderful quote from a kid at the dig too young to understand:

"It's one of those weird monumental video game based events that only comes around once a century."

Once a century? Once ever. Never again will the perfect storm, the perfect culmination of a cartridge based video game phenomena of epic proportions ever happen like that again... ever.

1. Technology has surpassed physical media... it's all drm's now baby.
2. No physical media means no glut of over-production even possible. No physical item to bury for future generations to unearth.
3. No synergy with blockbuster cinematic experience on the order of tens of millions of dollars being put into the lap of 1... ONE... video game maker. Designer/developer/artist/sound/coder all wrapped up into one guy... ONE! To make every decision about how the game will play, good or bad.
4. True or false, the culmination of the above to romanticize the magnitude of the fill, the failure, the single entity, the myth of ET.

That was a singularity... a big bang. Epic. There will be no such similar archaeologic possibilities in this or any other future century... or millennia!

IF there is a future archaeologic video game dig... it will be at a keyboard scrolling through lost code. No bull dozers, no audience, no camera crews, no "event" of physical proportions... just eyeballs looking at historic code stored in media and forgotten. This, young observer, was a once in forever event.

I loved the documentary.

Edited by Gatinho (04/28/15 04:20 AM)

GatKong
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

#339346 - 04/28/15 04:39 AM

>I could have done with more drug stories. The part where they turned down his crap weed and brought out the good stuff was tits.

That's how you know you've really made it.

Edit:

Actually, I need to reply twice to this...

I, obviously, was never there.

But I had the opportunity, while dumping Bounty Hunter, to chill with a guy who was... who shared with me his stories.... how he would party on a mega-yacht with Nolan Bushnell himself, and Hugh Hefner himself, and tons of naked chicks, and the drugs, the coke, the pot, and all the excess that was the 80's tech-boom and all the fun that wave of cash and success washed up on the lucky few. And he'd pull from his workshop various objects from that era, and reminisce about how incredible it was to be riding that wave at its peak, and it's maximum excess, photographs of himself partying with the very icons we look back on now and romanticize. It's like the Woodstock for the computer nerds, and if you weren't there, you missed it.

While I was alive at the time, I was the consumer, the wide-eyed kid buying and funding all of that excess, pushing quarters into the machines, and blowing on cartridges wedged into slots with pencils protruding from them to make them work.

The closest I'll come to that experience is that one time being allowed in to dump the code... dump his memories and look from the outside and be like, "Wow, man. Far out."

I would LOVE to see THAT documentary... the lifestyle behind the success. You only ever get hints and peeks.

Edited by Gatinho (04/28/15 04:40 AM)

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

Re: Atari: Game Over is now on Netflix streamer new [Re: GatKong]
#339350 - 04/28/15 06:34 AM

What are some other good video game documentaries about the good old days (Arcade -> 8-bit era)?

abelenki
Super Drunk
Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Perm, Russia
Send PM

Re: Atari: Game Over is now on Netflix streamer new [Re: Big Karnak]
#339354 - 04/28/15 10:16 AM

> What are some other good video game documentaries about the good old days (Arcade ->
> 8-bit era)?

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

MAME Stuff | MAME favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration

boogaloo
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/18/15
Send PM

Re: Atari: Game Over is now on Netflix streamer new [Re: Andrew]
#339358 - 04/28/15 11:45 AM

> It's also on usenet.

it's been on pb for a couple of months too, but paying for stuff is a thing.

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

Re: Atari: Game Over is now on Netflix streamer new [Re: abelenki]
#339360 - 04/28/15 03:16 PM

I liked Thumb Candy.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#339362 - 04/28/15 04:18 PM

> Once a century? Once ever. Never again will the perfect storm, the perfect
> culmination of a cartridge based video game phenomena of epic proportions ever happen
> like that again... ever.

Except that unsold inventory (carts, discs, whatever) gets landfilled or otherwise destroyed for tax writeoffs on a fairly regular basis even today. The point of the documentary was that ET wasn't as special as people want it to be.

Incidentally, the recent-ish "bugfixed" ET is very playable, if a little over-ambitious for the hardware. It feels kind of like the distilled essence of HSW's Raiders of the Lost Ark, which I'm sure it pretty much was.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#339363 - 04/28/15 04:23 PM

> I would LOVE to see THAT documentary... the lifestyle behind the success. You only
> ever get hints and peeks.

There's a decent amount of that in Howard Scott Warshaw's documentary "Once Upon Atari", although not as much as I think you're looking for. He makes it very clear that the entire 2600 programming staff was stoned pretty much 24/7, which in hindsight explains everything about those games.

Edited by R. Belmont (04/28/15 04:26 PM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Atari: Game Over is now on Netflix streamer new [Re: R. Belmont]
#339364 - 04/28/15 04:42 PM

Also, I should note that the various Intellivision developer interviews floating around are an interesting contrast. Not sure if it's L.A. vs the Valley or just Nolan's freewheeling Atari vs. a division of a decades-old toy company, but the Inty programmers were quite a bit more straight-laced. Booze instead of drugs, never to the Atari levels of excess, and of course infinite practical jokes. It sounds a lot like the modern game industry, except with female programmers. (Whoever figures out why girls freely went into CS in the 70s and stopped abruptly in the mid 80s will make a lot of HR departments very happy).

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

#339365 - 04/28/15 05:09 PM

> Also, I should note that the various Intellivision developer interviews floating
> around are an interesting contrast. Not sure if it's L.A. vs the Valley or just
> Nolan's freewheeling Atari vs. a division of a decades-old toy company, but the Inty
> programmers were quite a bit more straight-laced. Booze instead of drugs, never to
> the Atari levels of excess, and of course infinite practical jokes. It sounds a lot
> like the modern game industry, except with female programmers. (Whoever figures out
> why girls freely went into CS in the 70s and stopped abruptly in the mid 80s will
> make a lot of HR departments very happy).

I can't remember where I read it, but there's speculation that the rise of home computers is to blame. The theory is that before the 1980s basically nobody had any opportunity to interact with a computer before they went off to university, but once that wasn't true any more you had an overwhelming advantage getting into CS if you'd already been developing computer literacy since elementary school on your Apple II or C64 or Atari ST or Amiga, and for one reason or another the category of kids who played with home computers was overwhelmingly male.

boogaloo
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Atari: Game Over is now on Netflix streamer new [Re: AWJ]
#339368 - 04/28/15 07:31 PM

Also in that time software developers have mainly gone from gods who could do the impossible because nobody understood how these damned computers worked, to code monkeys working on a production line who should quit moaning and finish already because I could do that in ten minutes.

Or as Bill Gates put it:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2013/10/08/10454920.aspx

Women don't tend to thrive in that environment and I doubt they'd even want to. The problem is down to poor management and they'll never accept any blame. With software development homogenised and outsourced I can't see women making a rush any time soon.

Especially as you say they would need to catch up with people who have been messing around with computers for years. Girls do use computers/phones/tablets/3ds as much as boys now, but the majority don't seem to care about how they work.

The second world war was the last big shift in women taking on jobs that had previously been male oriented, so short of an outbreak of a disease that kills men and not women then IMO the gender balance in software development is going to stay where it is.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#339375 - 04/28/15 11:27 PM

> (Whoever figures out
> why girls freely went into CS in the 70s and stopped abruptly in the mid 80s will
> make a lot of HR departments very happy).

Simple: It's when the hippie (I mean that in a good way) ideals and womens' liberation movements of the 60s gave way to rampant consumerism.

When you go to pick out clothes for your newborn child, what do they look like? Blue if it's a boy, pink if it's a girl. When you flip over to the cartoons and kids' shows for pre-teens, what do they look like? Being "cool" if they're for boys, pink and glitter everywhere with everyone wanting to be princesses if they're for girls. When you're sitting there and watching TV shows with your son or daughter at 10+, arguably the years where their brain plasticity starts to harden and they begin to plan their adult lives, what do you see? Spray-tan, entitlement, cars and "bangin' chicks" if they're targeted at men, or fashion models, teenage mothers, and co-dependency if they're targeted at women.

When you go to watch a movie with your friends, what sort of ideals are portrayed on the glorious silver screen? Women want nothing more than to settle down and raise a family as a stay-at-home mom with the executive something-or-other she saw once in a coffee shop, and men have impossible six-packs and tear apart trees with their bare hands for fun, anything less than either of these ideals mean you're not good at being a woman, or not good at being a man. When you go home and flip the TV back on to wash away the tripe you saw on the big screen, and a commercial comes on to interrupt the show peddling make-up or Brawndo, what gets shoved in your face? The notion that men are bumbling, inept doofuses who can't do anything right without the gentle touch of a woman, and the idea that women are worthless without fifty dollars a day of Mary Kay applied with a putty knife.

Let's face facts here, young men and young women are inundated from practically the time they leave the womb, at every hour of the day, with media telling them what they can and cannot be depending on their gender. While I think that software development companies have a whole hell of a lot that they need to answer for in the way of sexism - take NVidia's crass party at GDC 2014 at a topless bar that, I swear to god, employed a little person on a megaphone outside - I think the battle to get women and other minorities involved in STEM fields is lost well before they get to the point in life of considering what their major will be.

boogaloo
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Atari: Game Over is now on Netflix streamer new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#339384 - 04/29/15 10:49 AM

> While I think that software development
> companies have a whole hell of a lot that they need to answer for in the way of
> sexism - take NVidia's crass party at GDC 2014 at a topless bar that, I swear to god,
> employed a little person on a megaphone outside

As long as Nvidia allowed both men and women to attend then it isn't sexist. It's arguably chauvinist.

Little people need jobs too.

Equality is a myth. You have to get what you can with the skills you acquire. I'm not 100% convinced that the brainwashing is so effective. Plenty of men and women don't conform and don't feel bad about it.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Atari: Game Over is now on Netflix streamer new [Re: boogaloo]
#339386 - 04/29/15 11:41 AM

> As long as Nvidia allowed both men and women to attend then it isn't sexist. It's
> arguably chauvinist.

It's sexist if they didn't also provide male strippers.

boogaloo
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Atari: Game Over is now on Netflix streamer new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#339388 - 04/29/15 12:59 PM

> It's sexist if they didn't also provide male strippers.

Female strippers are inferior?

I don't think it's right to say that a strip club who only employs female strippers is sexist, because sexism has a negative bias. You can't force a shop to sell a different product just because you don't want to buy the ones it has.

They discriminate on looks, like a lot of jobs have to. If a man applies for a job who looks like a woman and can dance etc like they expect the women to, then they should employ him.

I'd like to see the number of people who visited and whether the majority thought it was ok, in which case meh. The majority of people like looking at beautiful people, you can't legislate against that.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#339389 - 04/29/15 02:42 PM

> As long as Nvidia allowed both men and women to attend then it isn't sexist. It's
> arguably chauvinist.

Are you shitting me?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#339390 - 04/29/15 03:03 PM

It doesn't really matter what they did, it's that they didn't do it in a way that kept quiet. They could have had a private party and not let the world know. You let everyone know you had a good time and there will be hate groups that blast you and refuse to buy your products etc. Poor fucking bitches and midgets and vegans, fuckers probably ate meat you know.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#339392 - 04/29/15 04:19 PM

> > It's sexist if they didn't also provide male strippers.
>
> Female strippers are inferior?

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that if you're going to provide erotic entertainment at a party, and you don't want to be seen as sexist, you'd damn well better be providing erotic entertainment for women as well as men.

boogaloo
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Atari: Game Over is now on Netflix streamer new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#339402 - 04/29/15 06:55 PM

> That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that if you're going to provide erotic
> entertainment at a party, and you don't want to be seen as sexist, you'd damn well
> better be providing erotic entertainment for women as well as men.

They would be seen as sexist even if they had provided male strippers, it would also be a disaster.

It's the kind of suggestion made by someone who just wants them to not do it in the first place. Rather than someone trying to come up with a socially acceptable way for men to enjoy the beauty of naked women than they could attract using the approved methods of: providing housing, food, mowing the lawn and putting up shelves.

boogaloo
MAME Fan
Send PM

#339403 - 04/29/15 07:03 PM

> Are you shitting me?

No. I would expect the party to put on entertainment that the majority will enjoy. A few members of the audience might like their strippers to be 300lbs with no legs, but it's not practical to cater to everyone's tastes. I would hazard a guess that the majority opinion would be split between people who liked it and people who thought that any strippers was wrong. With only a few who thought the entire carcrash would magically have been fixed by providing male strippers.

Sometimes gender is important for a job.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/11202075/No-job-for-a-man-Meet-the-male-midwives.html

Men should be allowed to become midwives but women should be free to choose. I cannot see a court prosecuting a women who refused a male midwife.

Sometimes being a man means women hate you for doing things you enjoy http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/11570313/Why-we-must-not-criminalise-wolf-whistling.html

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#339436 - 04/30/15 05:00 PM

> > (Whoever figures out
> > why girls freely went into CS in the 70s and stopped abruptly in the mid 80s will
> > make a lot of HR departments very happy).
>
> Simple: It's when the hippie (I mean that in a good way) ideals and womens'
> liberation movements of the 60s gave way to rampant consumerism.

Except that rampant consumerism started the nanosecond the war ended in the 40s (there was a company selling hundreds of thousands of 3 inch black-and-white TVs for $99 in 1947, for one example that kind of translates to today if you make that 3 feet). It's not something that was invented in the 80s, nor was it eschewed by hippies in the 60s (the "All You Need Is Love" Beatles had a merchandising operation that would make modern Disney jealous). So plenty of women who grew up in that environment went into CS and worked at IBM, DEC, Apple, Atari, Mattel Electronics, and so on.

So I'm inclined to believe what AWJ said about home computers being at least related to the cause. Which would be sort of ironic since many of them ran games and other software made by women, and several early 80s Apple machines had their final PCB layout done by Collette Askeland, whom I'm retroactively adding to my list of early heroes.

boogaloo
MAME Fan
Send PM

#339471 - 05/01/15 03:22 PM

> So I'm inclined to believe what AWJ said about home computers being at least related
> to the cause.

I think it's a complex issue.

Social mobility is much higher now. The availability of home computers has lowered the bar and men have benefitted the most.

The bottom feeder software developers are always going to be male. It's much easier for the girls with equivalent intelligence to just get a job where their appearance gets them an easier ride.

The girls who at one point didn't have much of an outlet for their above average intelligence until computers came along, now have other more exciting prospects.

I imagine girls are also not attracted to working in an environment filled with male software developers. Sure there are some normal male developers, but the IT industry has more than it's fair share of socially awkward men.

Taking them to a topless bar could be seen as therapy.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
2 registered and 275 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2429