MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

francisrizzo
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/01/15
Send PM

Reviving an old MAME cabinet?
#338465 - 04/01/15 05:19 PM

I built a MAME cabinet 12-13 years ago, running MAME 0.56 with an EmuLoader FE on a Win2k machine (AMD K6-II 500MgHz, 256Mb of RAM, 2 physical drives - OS on one and MAME/ROMS on the other) and it worked great. It has a CRT TV for the monitor with a Radeon7000 s-video-out video card in the computer. I say "worked" past tense because I didn't boot up the machine for 8-10 months and when I finally did the MAME/ROMS drive would not spin up. I have two options to get the cabinet operational again:

1 - Use existing hardware and add a MAME and a FE that are compatible with my "vintage" hardware
2 - Build a whole new box and load the latest and greatest versions of MAME and a FE

I'd like to try Option 1 first. I have a reman'd replacement IDE drive, and I actually found my install CDs for the ROMS and MAME (I have versions 0.56-0.65) but I don't have the EmuLoader. The current EmuLoader available requires at least MAME 0.84 which I don't have, and my old machine won't meet the specs required for the latest version of MAME. Does anyone have a recommendation for a FE that will work with my vintage version of MAME? Or is my only real option to buy new hardware?

Thanks!

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

Re: Reviving an old MAME cabinet? new [Re: francisrizzo]
#338479 - 04/01/15 11:08 PM

HaHa !! I just fired up or tried to anyway, my old mame cab and the amd chip must have fried. its an old amd 2100 I had o/c'd to 2650.

So im at the same kinda spot you are. I guess I could ebay another chip and hope for a good one though. As far as I kno the harddrive is still good. IF I remember correctly its been 7 yrs since it was last fired up. so what ever mame version was running say 9 yrs ago is whats still on it and its running arcade at home front end so that kinda gives its age away. I used to have all of it backed up on cd,s but can't find them now. If I could I would send you a copy of the old arcade at home front end (flame suit needed when mentioning that front end yrs ago). I will look again tonight to see if I can locate them....

I would think you could find an old copy somewhere though of your frontend but a lot has changed since both of our cabs have been used so it might not be as easy as I think.

P.S. I did hook up my desk top and play the new mame thru my cab though... it was great. even my 17 yr old daughter pushed me out of the way so her and her boyfriend could play ;-)

Only here to annoy...

Waremonger
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Re: Reviving an old MAME cabinet? new [Re: Renegade]
#338489 - 04/02/15 05:58 AM

> can't find them now. If I could I would send you a copy of the old arcade at home
> front end (flame suit needed when mentioning that front end yrs ago). I will look
> again tonight to see if I can locate them....

http://www.zophar.net/frontends/arcade/arcade-home.html

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

Re: Reviving an old MAME cabinet? new [Re: Waremonger]
#338518 - 04/02/15 11:47 PM

there you go! waremonger posted a link that should let you keep and run your old mame version with no problem.
infact that's the same version of arcade at home im running.

thanks waremonger !

Only here to annoy...

Waremonger
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Re: Reviving an old MAME cabinet? new [Re: Renegade]
#338519 - 04/03/15 12:12 AM

> there you go! waremonger posted a link that should let you keep and run your old
> mame version with no problem.
> infact that's the same version of arcade at home im running.
>
> thanks waremonger !

If there's one thing Zophar is good for it's hosting ancient emulation stuff. :-)

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

I was gonna say Zophar's, too...... new [Re: Waremonger]
#338523 - 04/03/15 01:49 AM

Elsewise, you can use AdvanceMenu. The latest version, even.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

Re: Reviving an old MAME cabinet? new [Re: francisrizzo]
#338533 - 04/03/15 02:42 AM

I might be able to support MAME versions lower than 0.84 in Emu Loader. With any luck, all the way down to MAME 0.56.
I just need to do some house cleaning and code refactoring...

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

francisrizzo
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/01/15
Send PM

Re: Reviving an old MAME cabinet? new [Re: Waremonger]
#338545 - 04/03/15 06:22 AM

> > can't find them now. If I could I would send you a copy of the old arcade at home
> > front end (flame suit needed when mentioning that front end yrs ago). I will look
> > again tonight to see if I can locate them....
>
> http://www.zophar.net/frontends/arcade/arcade-home.html

shhweeeet, I'll give it a shot. Thanks Waremonger!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 175 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1593