yoeddy
Sound perfectionist
Reged: 12/27/03
Loc: Boise, Idaho
Send PM

Jump Bug missing sounds
#338414 - 03/31/15 08:11 PM

Hi guys,

Not sure if this has been logged, but it appears that Jump Bug is missing some sounds in the low end range. When the game starts, there are some drum sounds that play that are clearly missing in MAME. Also when you respawn after losing a life, there are some serious drums that play that are missing in MAME.

Fast forward the following restoration video to 1:03:40 and listen for about 30 seconds or so. Lotta drums.

http://youtu.be/4QHd2ScVcvI

Here's a video of MAME, and you'll notice the missing sounds.

http://youtu.be/E_P--FYbhEU

Seems like there are other sounds missing too.

Thanks,
Jason

yoeddy
Sound perfectionist
Send PM

Re: Jump Bug missing sounds new [Re: yoeddy]
#339117 - 04/20/15 08:17 PM

Here is a better video that clearly shows that there are a multitude of sounds missing. Seems like the majority are in the low range frequencies.

Fast forward to 55:45 in the following video:

http://youtu.be/uwvEW2ahCro

Notice the car bounce sound is missing. The drums with the respawn music. The explosions when shooting the enemies. Seems like there are some other little details. Is this a Rock-O-La thing, or is this specific to Jump Bug. Wasn't sure if games like Eyes, Fantasy, and Nibbler might also be missing these same types of sounds.

Are these sound issues for Jump Bug known and/or already logged?

Thanks guys!

Jason

Edited by yoeddy (04/20/15 08:20 PM)

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#339133 - 04/20/15 10:56 PM

Yeah, I'm trolling here but.....

Except for the preservation element....I played one of these this past weekend and.....this game sucks so bad who would care?

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

yoeddy
Sound perfectionist
Send PM

Re: Jump Bug missing sounds new [Re: Traso]
#339143 - 04/21/15 02:57 AM

Rock-Ola has some interesting games. When I first played Jump Bug, Eyes, and Nibbler, I couldn't stand them. Even Fantasy for that matter. But they have a challenge factor that really pulls you in. It took some time for me to get into their games, but after giving them a chance, they really are quite fun.

Hopefully someone could take a look at the state of the sound on this game and determine the level of effort involved. If it was an easy fix, great, but I agree that a large amount of effort to resolve may not make sense.

Thanks again,
Jason

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#339194 - 04/22/15 05:17 AM

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Jump Bug missing sounds new [Re: Robbbert]
#339240 - 04/24/15 12:28 AM

> > Rock-Ola has some interesting games. When I first played Jump Bug, Eyes, and
> Nibbler,
> > I couldn't stand them. Even Fantasy for that matter. But they have a challenge
> factor
> > that really pulls you in. It took some time for me to get into their games, but
> after
> > giving them a chance, they really are quite fun.
> >
> > Hopefully someone could take a look at the state of the sound on this game and
> > determine the level of effort involved. If it was an easy fix, great, but I agree
> > that a large amount of effort to resolve may not make sense.
> >
> > Thanks again,
> > Jason
>
> You might like to try out Jump Bug in HBMAME. It has extra sounds not in MAME.
> Perhaps these are the sounds that you say are missing?

The extra sounds in the HBMAME do not seem to match up directly to PCB video. That said, there is likely some missing discrete and I've adjusted the game/notes to show this. I also changed the clock speed on the 8910 so that it now matches video, so that is fixed at least

No need to make a bug report on this, btw.

yoeddy
Sound perfectionist
Send PM

Re: Jump Bug missing sounds new [Re: Tafoid]
#339241 - 04/24/15 02:06 AM

> > > Rock-Ola has some interesting games. When I first played Jump Bug, Eyes, and
> > Nibbler,
> > > I couldn't stand them. Even Fantasy for that matter. But they have a challenge
> > factor
> > > that really pulls you in. It took some time for me to get into their games, but
> > after
> > > giving them a chance, they really are quite fun.
> > >
> > > Hopefully someone could take a look at the state of the sound on this game and
> > > determine the level of effort involved. If it was an easy fix, great, but I agree
> > > that a large amount of effort to resolve may not make sense.
> > >
> > > Thanks again,
> > > Jason
> >
> > You might like to try out Jump Bug in HBMAME. It has extra sounds not in MAME.
> > Perhaps these are the sounds that you say are missing?
>
> The extra sounds in the HBMAME do not seem to match up directly to PCB video. That
> said, there is likely some missing discrete and I've adjusted the game/notes to show
> this. I also changed the clock speed on the 8910 so that it now matches video, so
> that is fixed at least
>
> No need to make a bug report on this, btw.

Awesome! Thanks Tafoid!

Jason

yoeddy
Sound perfectionist
Send PM

#339606 - 05/04/15 07:39 AM

The sound speed sounds much better in 0.161. Thanks again Tafoid. Now if we can just get the missing sounds implemented, the game will really be "jumpin". Ok that was baaaaad.

Thanks,
Jason

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 291 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1877