View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Best technique to scan bezels
#338312 - 03/29/15 04:58 PM

I've bought 2 rare bezels and they are sitting in my closet because the places I have around here which have big scanners are unable to scan them, because the cardboard is too thick and it won't pass through their scanners without damaging the bezel and/or the scanner itself!

SO I guess I'll have to scan them myself at home using a flatbed scanner. The problem here is that all these scanners have raised borders around the glass which is a PITS! Please, give me some advice on how can I scan these things without bending the bezel too much, so the final images won't get distorted. Any tips are welcome.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

Re: Best technique to scan bezels new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#338351 - 03/30/15 11:57 AM

Don't know if it helps or not, but... if maybe you could go to a plexiglass shop and have a thick piece of plexiglass cut to 1/8" smaller than your scanner bed glass, then tape it over the glass so that it raises above the borders? I don't know if it will cause the scan to be out of focus or not, but I used to use that method with vinyl album covers.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

big10p
Arcadian
Reged: 03/13/14
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: Best technique to scan bezels new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#338354 - 03/30/15 01:07 PM

I think most people use a hand scanner and then stitch the images together in PhotoShop. This is the method that has to be used for sideart on cabs, etc.

BurnPrograde
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/25/15
Send PM

Re: Best technique to scan bezels new [Re: Nightvoice]
#340437 - 05/25/15 04:29 AM

For an excellent DIY reproduction, I like to take a very high resolution photograph, import it into Adobe Illustrator and convert the image into vector format. That way you can resize, recolour, change anything possible.

Or import it into Adobe Photoshop. You can also get rid of any age discolourations, damage, etc. Or if you're a retro-addict like myself, you can ADD discolourations, damage, cigarette burns etc

Best of luck to you!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
1 registered and 86 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2068