MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Why vertical scrollers are cooler than horizontal ones......
#337993 - 03/23/15 11:55 PM

Very simple.

Horizontal ones are strictly 2D. Vertical scrollers have an implied down element. Even if it isn't used to bomb things with, the mind thinks those things on the ground or in the ocean, etc, are down. And that makes the game more interesting.

One exception is Moon Patrol. Why? Because you [are] on the ground. And you can jump over stuff. Gravity.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Why vertical scrollers are cooler than horizontal ones...... new [Re: Traso]
#338003 - 03/24/15 05:34 AM

Fair points. But, I prefer the horizontal scrollers. The R-Types, Metal Slugs, etc are all quality shooters, and with the side view, you get to see the characters involved a lot better - the profile of the people rather than just the tops of their heads, the tanks side on with their treads going round rather than just a top view, and so on.

And you can still have a pseudo-3D type effect in horizontal shooters. Robocop, Metal Slug, etc.

Moose

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: Why vertical scrollers are cooler than horizontal ones...... new [Re: Traso]
#338018 - 03/24/15 08:11 PM

This thread is umop apisdn

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

Re: Why vertical scrollers are cooler than horizontal ones...... new [Re: CTOJAH]
#338031 - 03/25/15 04:25 AM

upsıdɐ doɯn sı pɐəɹɥʇ sıɥʇ

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Re: Why vertical scrollers are cooler than horizontal ones...... new [Re: Moose]
#338049 - 03/25/15 02:11 PM

I don't really think that vertical scrollers are cooler than horizontal. I like to think that some vertical are cool and some horizontal are cool too. It's a matter of personal taste I think, rather than choosing which one is better.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Italy
Send PM

Re: Why vertical scrollers are cooler than horizontal ones...... new [Re: Moose]
#338059 - 03/25/15 05:57 PM

True, but not for all vertical shooters. MERCS for example gives you what you like in horz shooters and it's vertical...

Edited by Mamesick (03/25/15 09:51 PM)

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Why vertical scrollers are cooler than horizontal ones...... new [Re: Comboman]
#338066 - 03/25/15 09:31 PM

> upsıdɐ doɯn sı pɐəɹɥʇ
> sıɥʇ

You boys are so cute!

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#338070 - 03/25/15 09:48 PM

> Fair points. But, I prefer the horizontal scrollers. The R-Types, Metal Slugs, etc are all quality shooters, and with the side view, you get to see the characters involved a lot better - the profile of the people rather than just the tops of their heads, the tanks side on with their treads going round rather than just a top view, and so on.

> And you can still have a pseudo-3D type effect in horizontal shooters. Robocop, Metal Slug, etc.

Actually, I remembered Progear. While it is an isometric trick, how they did it was novel. Not new, of course, as this had been done for a long while in games like Congo Bongo, Marble Madness, and Gunsmoke. . (nodding to Mamesick) MERCS was a number in line.

Now, if we were talking about games in general, then I might agree with Rog, as I like In The Hunt, Progear is pretty cool, and Metal Slug is decent. But if we're talking about 'straight' graphics, verts are better because down is implied.

I also don't consider 'walking' games as scrollers. They scroll, but you can stop. In traditional scrollers the pace is set. In The Hunt teeters on the edge because of this.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: Why vertical scrollers are cooler than horizontal ones...... new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#338093 - 03/26/15 12:37 AM

...and what about diagonal scrollers - Viewpoint (Neo-Geo) anyone ?

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

& Zaxxon [nt] new [Re: CTOJAH]
#338125 - 03/26/15 08:29 AM

drugs

Edited by Tomu Breidah (03/26/15 08:30 AM)

LEVEL-4

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 490 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2100