View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

hotgraphics
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/07/06
Send PM

Mame slow compiling
#336956 - 02/15/15 09:29 AM

Hi, I was compiling Mame a few weeks ago when I noticed Mame had become slow to compile in MinGW for some reason (takes over 1h 40min). I scanned and scanned for malware but found nothing. So presuming I had some sort of undetected malware I have now done a fresh format & install of Windows 7 64, however the slow compiling remains. I'm using the tools off Mamedev.org & Git, TortoiseGit to update my source from https://github.com/mamedev/mame.git & am using a .bat file executed in the root of the source, with these settings:

set path=D:\Emulation\MinGW\mingw64-w64\bin;D:\Emulation\MinGW\mingw64-w64\opt\bin;D:\Emulation\MinGW\mingw64-w64\Qt\bin;
make -j8 OS=Windows_NT ARCHOPTS=-march=native NOWERROR=1 TARGETOS=win32 TARGET=mame OSD=windows PTR64=1

My computer specs are:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU: Intel Core i7 2670QM @ 2.20GHz (Up to 3.10GHz) Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
GRAPHICS: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
STORAGE: 698GB Seagate ST9750423AS 5400RPM SATA-II

I'm running Avast Antivirus, Comodo Firewall. And have disabled Avast & HIPS in Comodo but with the same result. I've tried other -j* commands and all cores seem to be firing under Performance in Windows Task Manager, but it seems to start off quickly compiling and then gets a bit slower, but overall WAY slower than how quickly it was compiling a month ago. All other programs including Mame seem fine.

Anyone have any ideas what might be happening here?.

hotgraphics
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Mame slow compiling new [Re: hotgraphics]
#336961 - 02/15/15 12:14 PM

I think I've fixed the problem. Though it didn't work before I formatted, changing the command to -j12 seems to have now fixed the problem. Oh well.

hotgraphics
MAME Fan
Send PM

Back to slow compiling again new [Re: hotgraphics]
#337047 - 02/19/15 09:56 AM

Back to slow compiling again, don't know what's going on here. It usually starts off at 100% CPU use but then gets less & less use.

Edited by hotgraphics (02/19/15 10:49 AM)

lamprey
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/01/11
Send PM

Re: Back to slow compiling again new [Re: hotgraphics]
#337052 - 02/19/15 07:50 PM

An Hour.. ouch!

You HD is rather slow, but that seems excessive. A shot it the dark, but do you have your power settings set to something other than Performance? If so, you might try and set it to performance, or at least make sure it'll use 100% CPU, and see if that makes a difference.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Italy
Send PM

#337053 - 02/19/15 08:46 PM

I'd try a simple "make -j8" since the rest of options you're using are already auto-detected by the compiler and MAME makefile. With your PC specs you should have 15-10 minutes of compiling process. My old Quad-Core takes 20-25 minutes now and I usually do other things when I'm waiting the end...

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#337054 - 02/19/15 09:20 PM

> Back to slow compiling again, don't know what's going on here. It usually starts off
> at 100% CPU use but then gets less & less use.

That sounds like your CPU's generating more heat than the fan can throw off so it's downclocked itself to 1.8 GHz or less. From the part numbers I'm assuming it's a laptop - try shooting compressed air into all the vents to make sure they're breathing freely.

Edited by R. Belmont (02/19/15 09:20 PM)

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Back to slow compiling again new [Re: R. Belmont]
#337055 - 02/19/15 09:56 PM

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Back to slow compiling again new [Re: lamprey]
#337086 - 02/21/15 07:50 AM

> An Hour.. ouch!
>
> You HD is rather slow, but that seems excessive. A shot it the dark, but do you have
> your power settings set to something other than Performance? If so, you might try and
> set it to performance, or at least make sure it'll use 100% CPU, and see if that
> makes a difference.

It took three hours to compile MAME on a 2.8GHz Celeron, and that's with no slowdowns.

hotgraphics
MAME Fan
Send PM

Slow Compiling III new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#337358 - 03/01/15 09:06 AM Attachment: Windows Gala.png 18 KB (0 downloads)

Thanks for the advice guys. I don't think there's a dust build up problem though, as my laptop was compiling slow, then i formatted and put windows back on and it was at 100% CPU compiling all the way through. However it eventually went back to slow compiling again. The problem is I feel is malware. I did find a few viruses on my system and they were removed, however I think they damaged some of Windows files, as when I run sfc.exe /scannow as Administrator it comes back with that it found damaged files but was unable to repair some of them, then creating a log file. It says this every time I run it. Could these corrupt files be causing the slow compiling?. Also tried the Check Disk utility. It repaired some corrupt files, but when I ran sfc again, it was the same damaged files unable to repair message. It wouldn't suprise me if there is more undetected malware on my system, preventing sfc from doing it's job and it if could do it's job the malware would probably just corrupt the files again. But I'm just so fricken sick of scanning for malware, and most of the time the many anti-malware programs I've used find nothing. I can't be bothered loading windows back on again as it just takes too long. I have started to use a sandbox utility for my browser, to help prevent any more problems with malware.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Slow Compiling III new [Re: hotgraphics]
#337364 - 03/01/15 04:33 PM

If CHKDSK is finding problems, maybe your drive is failing. Test it with HDD Tune, etc.

hotgraphics
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Slow Compiling III new [Re: redk9258]
#337373 - 03/02/15 05:02 AM

Thanks for the tip redk9258, but according to HD Tune there are no errors.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Send PM

#337381 - 03/02/15 07:29 AM

Look, the symptoms are consistent with heat issues or I/O errors, but most likely heat issues. You're not getting anywhere by refusing to believe it.

hotgraphics
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Slow Compiling III new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#337382 - 03/02/15 08:53 AM

Yeah, I'm not totally dissmissing that possibility. Found out something interesting though. Apparently according to Norton Antivirus, Mame Compiler 64 mc64setup.exe has the SAPE.Graftor.6f6 virus in it.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Send PM

#337384 - 03/02/15 09:08 AM

> Yeah, I'm not totally dissmissing that possibility. Found out something interesting
> though. Apparently according to Norton Antivirus, Mame Compiler 64 mc64setup.exe has
> the SAPE.Graftor.6f6 virus in it.

Haha you shouldn't trust stuff of dubious origin. If you stuck with official MAMEdev tools you'd be safer.

hotgraphics
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Slow Compiling III new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#350848 - 02/29/16 12:40 PM

Just for reference I'm posting this. It was Comodo Firewall causing my slow compiling problem, even when put into "Game Mode". Once uninstalled my compiling time went back to under 25 minutes. Thanks for your help & suggestions as to the source of the problem though guys.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#350853 - 03/01/16 12:40 AM

> Just for reference I'm posting this. It was Comodo Firewall causing my slow compiling
> problem, even when put into "Game Mode". Once uninstalled my compiling time went back
> to under 25 minutes. Thanks for your help & suggestions as to the source of the
> problem though guys.

Comodo's products are godawful. I tell people to avoid them... the damn thing tried scanning every single file that was loaded into memory.

I was trying to play a multiplayer online FPS and it made a simple fifteen second load screen freeze, every single thing kept being scanned, even when told to ignore everything in the folder. It's absolute garbage.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Slow Compiling III new [Re: Foxhack]
#350854 - 03/01/16 12:46 AM

> > Just for reference I'm posting this. It was Comodo Firewall causing my slow
> compiling
> > problem, even when put into "Game Mode". Once uninstalled my compiling time went
> back
> > to under 25 minutes. Thanks for your help & suggestions as to the source of the
> > problem though guys.
>
> Comodo's products are godawful. I tell people to avoid them... the damn thing tried
> scanning every single file that was loaded into memory.
>
> I was trying to play a multiplayer online FPS and it made a simple fifteen second
> load screen freeze, every single thing kept being scanned, even when told to ignore
> everything in the folder. It's absolute garbage.

Any good AVs to recommend, then?

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Slow Compiling III new [Re: Master O]
#350855 - 03/01/16 01:10 AM

> > > Just for reference I'm posting this. It was Comodo Firewall causing my slow
> > compiling
> > > problem, even when put into "Game Mode". Once uninstalled my compiling time went
> > back
> > > to under 25 minutes. Thanks for your help & suggestions as to the source of the
> > > problem though guys.
> >
> > Comodo's products are godawful. I tell people to avoid them... the damn thing tried
> > scanning every single file that was loaded into memory.
> >
> > I was trying to play a multiplayer online FPS and it made a simple fifteen second
> > load screen freeze, every single thing kept being scanned, even when told to ignore
> > everything in the folder. It's absolute garbage.
>
> Any good AVs to recommend, then?

Or https://www.malwarebytes.org/ download the free version. Or go pro if you so want to buy stuff.

Norton is very bad. Trust me. I drop that when I had Intel 4 back in the days. I never install that ever again. It a hogging the system nightmare. I don't understand why people still buying that crap. Why is that shit still around? It been reported it a bad product in years. It will eat your memories up. lol

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: Slow Compiling III new [Re: Dullaron]
#350871 - 03/01/16 07:50 AM

> > > > Just for reference I'm posting this. It was Comodo Firewall causing my slow
> > > compiling
> > > > problem, even when put into "Game Mode". Once uninstalled my compiling time
> went
> > > back
> > > > to under 25 minutes. Thanks for your help & suggestions as to the source of the
> > > > problem though guys.
> > >
> > > Comodo's products are godawful. I tell people to avoid them... the damn thing
> tried
> > > scanning every single file that was loaded into memory.
> > >
> > > I was trying to play a multiplayer online FPS and it made a simple fifteen second
> > > load screen freeze, every single thing kept being scanned, even when told to
> ignore
> > > everything in the folder. It's absolute garbage.
> >
> > Any good AVs to recommend, then?
>
> Or https://www.malwarebytes.org/ download the free version. Or go pro if you so want
> to buy stuff.
>
> Norton is very bad. Trust me. I drop that when I had Intel 4 back in the days. I
> never install that ever again. It a hogging the system nightmare. I don't understand
> why people still buying that crap. Why is that shit still around? It been reported it
> a bad product in years. It will eat your memories up. lol

Malwarebytes is not an antivirus but it does help them. Don't buy the program through their website, they changed the license terms to be an annual subscription instead of the lifetime versions they used to sell - if you can get a boxed version from a couple of years ago, the keys should still be valid. I bought one on clearance for $10 a few years back and it's still going.

I personally use Avast Free, after turning off all the unnecessary BS (firewall and browser "protection".) It does its job OK, it should be enough for most normal users.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 242 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3949