MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

What I hate about action movies
#336052 - 01/14/15 02:36 PM

They get a hard dick by making the audio track more dynamic so that conversations are low and when there are explosions or helicopters or whatever the fuck the audio is slammed out. So if you watch it at home you have to crank it up to hear wtf they are saying and then an action scene happens and blows your speakers and ear drums. If you're watching at someone else's place after they go to bed it wakes them up. And you have to keep adjusting the volume. Fuck you Hollywood. Hollyshit.

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Re: What I hate about action movies new [Re: Smitdogg]
#336057 - 01/14/15 06:46 PM

> They get a hard dick by making the audio track more dynamic so that conversations are
> low and when there are explosions or helicopters or whatever the fuck the audio is
> slammed out. So if you watch it at home you have to crank it up to hear wtf they are
> saying and then an action scene happens and blows your speakers and ear drums. If
> you're watching at someone else's place after they go to bed it wakes them up. And
> you have to keep adjusting the volume. Fuck you Hollywood. Hollyshit.

I also hate that shit.

Players often have options to un-dynamize de audio, specially on 5.1 to stereo conversions. VLC has it for sure. For hardware players, it's often called "nocturnal mode" or similar. I've seen it in two Phillips players and also in one Samsung player, but I have no reason to doubt other players don't have something similar.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#336073 - 01/15/15 05:13 AM

> They get a hard dick by making the audio track more dynamic so that conversations are
> low and when there are explosions or helicopters or whatever the fuck the audio is
> slammed out. So if you watch it at home you have to crank it up to hear wtf they are
> saying and then an action scene happens and blows your speakers and ear drums. If
> you're watching at someone else's place after they go to bed it wakes them up. And

Yeah, I hate having to ride the faders because I have neighbors downstairs and kids sleeping upstairs. I feel like it's a fairly recent thing, too. Older movies don't seem to have as much dynamic range.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: What I hate about action movies new [Re: DMala]
#336079 - 01/15/15 05:35 AM

> Yeah, I hate having to ride the faders because I have neighbors downstairs and kids sleeping upstairs. I feel like it's a fairly recent thing, too. Older movies don't seem to have as much dynamic range.

I actually was thinking about this last night for some reason. Yes, older movies had less range, and in ways it was nice like you all say, but in another it's not. You can actually hear a mouse fart in newer movies. And the space is much bigger sounding.

As for the music, well that's the gig...but go back to many movies in the 30s and 40s, and jesus are they dramatic. It's, like, fucking comical.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Waremonger
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Re: What I hate about action movies new [Re: Pi]
#336116 - 01/16/15 02:53 AM

> > They get a hard dick by making the audio track more dynamic so that conversations
> are
> > low and when there are explosions or helicopters or whatever the fuck the audio is
> > slammed out. So if you watch it at home you have to crank it up to hear wtf they
> are
> > saying and then an action scene happens and blows your speakers and ear drums. If
> > you're watching at someone else's place after they go to bed it wakes them up. And
> > you have to keep adjusting the volume. Fuck you Hollywood. Hollyshit.
>
> I also hate that shit.
>
> Players often have options to un-dynamize de audio, specially on 5.1 to stereo
> conversions. VLC has it for sure. For hardware players, it's often called "nocturnal
> mode" or similar. I've seen it in two Phillips players and also in one Samsung
> player, but I have no reason to doubt other players don't have something similar.

Yeah, that shit drives me crazy and it's definitely worse in newer movies. Dolby Volume was supposed to be a solution but I don't think I've ever seen a TV that had it built in and it's been around for years.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Have you heard about subtitles? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#336131 - 01/17/15 12:05 AM

Just saying. :P

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Toledo, OH. USA
Send PM

Re: What I hate about action movies new [Re: Pi]
#336144 - 01/17/15 02:04 PM

> I also hate that shit.
>
> Players often have options to un-dynamize de audio, specially on 5.1 to stereo
> conversions. VLC has it for sure. For hardware players, it's often called "nocturnal
> mode" or similar. I've seen it in two Phillips players and also in one Samsung
> player, but I have no reason to doubt other players don't have something similar.

Audyssey's Dynamic Volume works extremely well in my experience. The Denon receiver I bought a couple of year's ago has it and I haven't had to play with the volume control since.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: What I hate about action movies new [Re: Traso]
#336152 - 01/17/15 09:23 PM

> I actually was thinking about this last night for some reason. Yes, older movies had
> less range, and in ways it was nice like you all say, but in another it's not. You
> can actually hear a mouse fart in newer movies. And the space is much bigger
> sounding.

Sure, I mean I'd love to turn it up so the dialog is audible and just let the walls rattle during the loud parts. Unfortunately, much like surround sound, it's just not always practical in the real world.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: What I hate about action movies new [Re: DMala]
#336153 - 01/17/15 10:23 PM

> Sure, I mean I'd love to turn it up so the dialog is audible and just let the walls
> rattle during the loud parts. Unfortunately, much like surround sound, it's just not
> always practical in the real world.

I haven't tried this myself, but couldn't you just crank up the volume on the front-center channel in your surround system? That's where the spoken dialogue is typically concentrated.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: What I hate about action movies new [Re: krick]
#336160 - 01/18/15 05:42 AM

> I haven't tried this myself, but couldn't you just crank up the volume on the front-center channel in your surround system? That's where the spoken dialogue is typically concentrated.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I'm still rockin the 2.1 sys, but damn that seems like a good idea. Now that I think of it, I seem to have some dim-ass memory of someone saying they did just that.....

Otherwise, headphones.

RoyalScam
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/23/05
Send PM

Re: What I hate about action movies new [Re: Waremonger]
#336219 - 01/20/15 06:01 PM

Frankly, I can't be bothered with a home theater setup. I just watch TV using the speakers that came with the set, no A/V receiver, surround sound, sound bar, it's just not that important to me. But if you do have an A/V receiver used for audio on your setup, put a compressor/limiter between the audio source (TV, Cable box, whatever...) and the A/V receiver. it'll flatten out the "louds" and amplify the "softs". You'll need one for each channel or one stereo unit.
Regards,
Scam

lamprey
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/01/11
Send PM

#336223 - 01/20/15 11:09 PM

Cann't say I really care too much as we already have ways to control this, a la Night Mode. Plus, I like a high dynamic range. However, Dolby is working on something that may be of interest to those plagued by this issue. It'll probably require and Atmos capable receiver though, so, perhaps, not too much solace:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/12/dtsx-dialogue-volume-control/

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

#336248 - 01/21/15 07:45 PM

make sure your center channel is louder than the stereo/surround satellites.

i learned everything i know from KC

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: What I hate about action movies new [Re: jopezu]
#336257 - 01/22/15 12:51 AM

I'm just watching on stereo speakers and there is no receiver with compression or night mode etc. either.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: What I hate about action movies new [Re: RoyalScam]
#336300 - 01/23/15 01:07 AM

> Frankly, I can't be bothered with a home theater setup. I just watch TV using the speakers that came with the set, no A/V receiver, surround sound, sound bar, it's just not that important to me. But if you do have an A/V receiver used for audio on your setup, put a compressor/limiter between the audio source (TV, Cable box, whatever...) and the A/V receiver. it'll flatten out the "louds" and amplify the "softs". You'll need one for each channel or one stereo unit.
> Regards,
> Scam

For fuck's sake, whoever's using such antiquated hardware needs help.

RoyalScam
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/23/05
Send PM

Re: What I hate about action movies new [Re: Traso]
#336321 - 01/23/15 04:21 PM

How dare you sir! If I didn't have this 'bum' hip, I'd hop right out of this Lazy-Boy and throw my Zenith Space Command clicker at you! And get off my lawn!

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: What I hate about action movies new [Re: RoyalScam]
#336393 - 01/26/15 05:44 AM

> How dare you sir! If I didn't have this 'bum' hip, I'd hop right out of this Lazy-Boy
> and throw my Zenith Space Command clicker at you! And get off my lawn!

HEHN. Yeah, now it's barca lounger. Or whatever....

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 369 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2662