Pages: 1

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Questions about an original Xbox
#335395 - 12/23/14 05:28 PM

A friend gave me an old original Xbox with a couple of games. No gamepad.

I plugged it in, and apparently it works fine, it has a green ring around the power button.

The screen only showed the clock setting screen. Without the gamepad I was unable to go further than that. However, when I tried to open the disc tray, the green ring blinked, I heard a noise from the tray but it didn't open. I tried several times with no luck.

Question: Is that a normal behaviour or should I think that the disc tray is borked? Would going further than the clock setting screen somehow "unlock" the disc tray?

Question: What kind of gamepads do an original Xbox use? Can I use a PC gamepad or should I buy an Xbox specific one?

Also, it has a plug in thingy for playing DVDs. Not that I'm going to make much use out of it, but does it work without a remote, like with a gamepad, or would I need e.g. a generic remote control?

Thanks for any insight.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

You mean Eve? Adam mastered that console eons ago. new [Re: Pi]
#335396 - 12/23/14 05:52 PM

hmmmmmm
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/27/08
Send PM

Re: Questions about an original Xbox new [Re: Pi]
#335398 - 12/23/14 06:34 PM

>The screen only showed the clock setting screen. Without the gamepad I was unable to go further than that. However, when I tried to open the disc tray, the green ring blinked, I heard a noise from the tray but it didn't open. I tried several times with no luck.

No clue...but if you have the remote for the DVD playback, you should be able to go through the menus.

But then again...you later asked about playing DVDs without having the remote...

>Question: What kind of gamepads do an original Xbox use? Can I use a PC gamepad or should I buy an Xbox specific one?

Xbox specific gamepads.

> Also, it has a plug in thingy for playing DVDs. Not that I'm going to make much use out of it, but does it work without a remote, like with a gamepad, or would I need e.g. a generic remote control?

You can use the game pad for playing, going back etc..that's no problem.

I think you needed to have that receiver plugged in one of the joypad ports at all time to be able to use the DVD functionality, but the remote is not needed purely optional.

Cheers

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: Questions about an original Xbox new [Re: hmmmmmm]
#335400 - 12/23/14 09:07 PM

Thanks for the answers.

It bothers me to not know if it's any good without having to go through the trouble of finding an Xbox gamepad to try, and worse, paying for it. If I knew it works, I wouldn't mind spending a bit in a gamepad, but I'd hate to have to go somewhere fishy for something this old and outdated just to discover that the console doesn't work anyways and I have no way to return the gamepad...

I would try to find someone with an Xbox to lend me a gamepad to try, but around here the Xbox wasn't popular at all around here and everyone I know with consoles had a PS2.

I see that the DVD and hard drive are standard PC drives. Does that mean I can dig up some kind of old DVD drive (I think I have one somewhere in this room), and just plug it inside the Xbox to have a working disc drive?

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

#335426 - 12/24/14 09:42 PM

> A friend gave me an old original Xbox with a couple of games. No gamepad.
>
> I plugged it in, and apparently it works fine, it has a green ring around the power
> button.
>
> The screen only showed the clock setting screen. Without the gamepad I was unable to
> go further than that. However, when I tried to open the disc tray, the green ring
> blinked, I heard a noise from the tray but it didn't open. I tried several times with
> no luck.
>
> Question: Is that a normal behaviour or should I think that the disc tray is borked?
> Would going further than the clock setting screen somehow "unlock" the disc tray?
>
> Question: What kind of gamepads do an original Xbox use? Can I use a PC gamepad or
> should I buy an Xbox specific one?
>
> Also, it has a plug in thingy for playing DVDs. Not that I'm going to make much use
> out of it, but does it work without a remote, like with a gamepad, or would I need
> e.g. a generic remote control?
>
> Thanks for any insight.

You're at the initial setting screen; you need to set the clock and language to continue past that screen.

Pretty sure the disc drive should open even if you haven't gone through initial setup. I've had my drive stuck before... could just be that the tray is a bit warped, or there was still a disc in it, which moved and got it stuck, etc.

There is a manual eject in the front, just like a regular PC drive... here's a link to the manual:

http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/images/Manuals/01_Microsoft_Xbox_(PAL)-Manual.pdf

You can't just put in any drive; there is firmware flashed to the drive that tells it it's for an XBox. Certain older drives can be flashed to become one... but it's been awhile... the info is out there.

Hope that helps... make sure to get Burnout 3, Burnout Revenge, and Outrun 2 once you get it working.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: Questions about an original Xbox new [Re: Mr. Do]
#335428 - 12/24/14 10:12 PM

> Hope that helps... make sure to get Burnout 3, Burnout Revenge, and Outrun 2 once you
> get it working.

Burnout Revenge is one of the games my friend gave to me.

Thanks for your advice. Let's see if I can make it work...

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#335441 - 12/25/14 07:44 AM

> Thanks for the answers.
>
> It bothers me to not know if it's any good without having to go through the trouble
> of finding an Xbox gamepad to try, and worse, paying for it. If I knew it works, I
> wouldn't mind spending a bit in a gamepad, but I'd hate to have to go somewhere fishy
> for something this old and outdated just to discover that the console doesn't work
> anyways and I have no way to return the gamepad...
>
> I would try to find someone with an Xbox to lend me a gamepad to try, but around here
> the Xbox wasn't popular at all around here and everyone I know with consoles had a
> PS2.

I was in the same boat earlier this year; I found an Xbox in a roadside hard waste collection back in 2012 or so, which had nothing with it except for the DVD remote sensor still in the P3 controller port (funnily enough, along with a faulty PS2 Slim in the same plastic tub, which surprisingly still had the AV cable and the power brick with it). I finally bit the bullet and bought a controller and AV plug so I could see if it actually worked or not, along with a random game (Sonic Heroes). Turned out the Xbox worked fine, as did the PS2 once I picked up a replacement laser unit (before that, the PS2 would only read CD media like audio CDs, PS1 games, Tekken Tag Tournament etc.; in fact, I only used it for playing Tekken Tag back then).

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 151 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2052