View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

so virtual box it is! another ?
#335060 - 12/10/14 08:25 PM

Thank you guys so much for your help, I read all your replies, tried the fixes posted and it let me into the actual program but ran into another problem so I am taking your advice and setting up a virtual box setup.
now my next question is can someone turn me onto a good free disc imaging program.

I have used google and found a few but as always they all claim to be the best and I have found ovr the years the best advise I have found has always been found here. so I will use what is recommended thru you gents.

again thank you for your help, its greatly appreciated.

Only here to annoy...

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: so virtual box it is! another ? new [Re: Renegade]
#335061 - 12/10/14 09:12 PM

You are looking to move your old drive into virtual box I take it?

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=22422

This utility may be able to do it. I have never tried using it in this way. But you put something like \\.\PhysicalDrive0 in the source field. You will probably need to figure out which drive number windows gave the drive. You probably can noodle it out from diskpart (in windows 7) using the "list disk" command or the disk management snap in from the control panel.

You can also mount the physical drive in virtualbox. This is what I did a few years ago. Then used a copy of linux to use the dd command to copy the drive into a similar sized VDI file.

If you are looking for a backup solution. Acronis or the built in windows backup are both good choices. I am currently using the windows 7 backup solution. It creates VirtualPC VHD images and a set of differencing zip files. Windows 8 is similar. That is a good choice for a single computer.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Send PM

Re: so virtual box it is! another ? new [Re: lharms]
#335064 - 12/10/14 10:55 PM

Yea the windows 7 has a disk image program built in but when I start it just tries to image the new computers hard drive into the old one.
I have the physical drive installed from the old shop computer and yea it shows up fine in the new computers window as drive E:
The win7 version won't allow me to change the drive letter to the new hard drive as the storage device for the image, and there isn't enough hard drive space on the old hard drive to image it to itself. so I need the E: drive imaged and the C: drive as the storage place for the image itself...

again thanks to all....

Only here to annoy...

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#335065 - 12/11/14 12:33 AM

Will this work...
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415

lharms
MAME Fan
Send PM

#335066 - 12/11/14 01:15 AM

Not totally sure still as I asked 2 questions and you answered yes

You are just trying to make a disk image of your old drive to use in virtualbox?

If that is true then either the program I suggested or the one redk9258 suggested will work. The one I suggested will create a virtual box virtual HD (VDI). The one redk9258 suggested will create a virtual pc virtual HD (VHD). Both types can be read from virtualbox. VHD can also be mounted to look like a real drive in windows 7.

If you use the one I suggested you will need that drive number (as per the docs of the program). Use the command prompt and run the diskpart the give it the list disk command. It PROBABLY is #1 and #0 is your current C drive. But that is not guaranteed, so make sure you look.

The one redk9258 is little more point and click. It will image the whole drive as a VHD and create it on your C drive wherever you tell it.

If you are trying to create a backup using windows backup. You need to use the 'let me chose' option when you are setting up the backup. That will let you pick which drive to image.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Send PM

#335067 - 12/11/14 02:09 AM

Sorry, yes i plan to create a disc image of the old shop hard drive which is now installed in new computer and run the disc image thru birtual box in order to be able to use our accounting program and hopefully our estimating program.
In a perfect world i would like to be able to load virtual box and have it load our original winxp desktop and run the accounting and estimating programs thru it.
I have a feeling that both programs had registry keys that prevent me from just running them straight from the hard drive thru the new computers win 7. I am hoping that by running virtual box and a disc image i can just run the original winxp and thus loading the original registry allowing these programs again.
Sorry so long just hoping to clarify what im hoping to do.

Thanks guys

Only here to annoy...

lharms
MAME Fan
Send PM

#335074 - 12/11/14 06:49 AM

CloneVDI is the program you want then.

Just set the first setting to something "\\.\PhysicalDrive1"

Then point it at a folder with an empty 'xp' virtual machine. Do not overwrite the one that is there and create a new one. If you point it at the existing one the thing will not even boot due to the way virtualbox 'tags' virtual harddrives with a guid.

Plan on it taking a couple of hours to clone.

Then detach the old drive and attach the new one under the IDE controller.
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03.html#settings-storage
There will be a little hd with a plus over it (the pic in the docs is the old gui). That is add hard disk button. Just use "chose existing disk" button and go from there.

Make sure you match the memory size and number of cpus you had in the old box.

Also make a snapshot right after you get it all setup and before you turn it on. That way if you screw something up it does not mess up your cloned HD.

Fire it up and hope it works It probably will want you to re-register windows as it will see it as a hardware change.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Send PM

#335086 - 12/12/14 05:28 AM

Thank you for all your help,

I did as you said and got to the winxp screen asking if i wanted to start windows normally or safe mode, normal chosen and it would freeze, chosing safe mode it would stick at agp440. Driver, i renamed it and tryed again then it would just freeze at mup.driver.

I found several things on google about this problem
but no fixes for it. Im using the latest release of virtual box, so for now i guess im just stuck, after 3 hrs of trying and searching im ready to scream.

Thank you for your help, especially lharms.

Just sign me as tired and defeated...

Only here to annoy...

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#335091 - 12/12/14 01:12 PM

If you use the program that I linked, it has an option to change the drivers to use in Virtual PC. If you had Symantec Ghost Solution Suite, You can use a small program to re-target an offline system to use on different hardware.

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#335092 - 12/12/14 01:24 PM

Weird... usually the problem would be that it freezes when it tries to load the IDE controller, in which case this could be a solution:

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/move-windows...een-of-death/2/

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#335093 - 12/12/14 02:11 PM

VMWare p2v can make changes needed to get an image from a physical machine to boot in a virtual machine.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Send PM

Re: so virtual box it is! another ? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#335096 - 12/12/14 05:23 PM

That is the program i used to make the disc image with..

Yeah im stumped, frustrated and tired lol...

I guess tonight i will try again.

Only here to annoy...

lharms
MAME Fan
Send PM

#335105 - 12/12/14 08:55 PM

Was afraid something like that would happen. XP is sort of picky. It does things to itself during install time that make it pretty much non portable across computers without tweaking it.

However it looks like MS has encountered it before.

So they have a handy KB article for it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324764

You will need a copy of a bootable XP iso.

You can use one of the many iso creation utils out there and use a XP CD.

If you installed windows 7 pro or higher you may be able to use the util redk9258 was talking about and use XP mode inside of windows 7. For home edition if you can find it there is a download for XP mode that contains the ISO right from the MS site. Or give XP mode a try and see if that works for what you are trying to do.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Send PM

#335111 - 12/13/14 02:28 AM

> You will need a copy of a bootable XP iso.
>
> You can use one of the many iso creation utils out there and use a XP CD.
>
> If you installed windows 7 pro or higher you may be able to use the util redk9258 was
> talking about and use XP mode inside of windows 7. For home edition if you can find
> it there is a download for XP mode that contains the ISO right from the MS site. Or
> give XP mode a try and see if that works for what you are trying to do.

Thank you, i just found an old winxp bootable disc i made for the old shop computer, i will iso it and see if that works.

Yes both win versions are home editions (win 7 on new host and winxp on old hard drive guest shop computer image).

I will try that !

Only here to annoy...

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 305 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2206