View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

RetroRepair
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/21/09
Send PM

MESS Status
#334994 - 12/09/14 12:12 AM

I'm soon to be console-less so am looking into what I can run in emulation land. MESS makes a lot of sense since I use groovyUME already but is there a status page or some resource I can check to see how things are running with certain systems? I've not looked at MESS in about 5 years.

http://www.youtube.com/retrorepair

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: MESS Status new [Re: RetroRepair]
#335006 - 12/09/14 04:28 AM

http://www.mess.org/

http://www.progettoemma.net/mess/

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#335012 - 12/09/14 06:45 AM

> I'm soon to be console-less so am looking into what I can run in emulation land. MESS
> makes a lot of sense since I use groovyUME already but is there a status page or some
> resource I can check to see how things are running with certain systems? I've not
> looked at MESS in about 5 years.

If you're running UME already, why not try out the games you're interested in playing? Nobody has any comprehensive compatibility data, but if you know what you want to play we can guide you more accurately.

RetroRepair
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MESS Status new [Re: R. Belmont]
#335019 - 12/09/14 05:14 PM

I was mistaken, I was running straight MAME. It does look like MESS has come a long way in the last 5 years though, I'm quite amazed that PSX runs 100% on my lowly core2duo E8400.

My main concerns are SNES, Megadrive, Saturn etc. I have not tried Saturn yet but I would say given ST-V's performance on my machine it's not really viable at the moment for me, most of what I tried seems to run great though (aside from Super FX games, guess a lot of work went into emulating that properly).

I've never seen an emulator run in 15khz on a real CRT at proper refreshes, it's a sight to behold!

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#335023 - 12/09/14 07:05 PM

The Majority of SNES and Megadrive run really well. They are definitely worth trying out in MESS especially if you're fond of the games on those consoles.

PSX and Saturn are more hit and miss because of their preliminary state.

I was really Amazed when I completed Lunar Silver Star Story using the PSX driver in MESS. The core's ability to Fast Forward slow parts of the game and being able to pause the emulation when interruptions occur are invaluable too me.

The games native ability to save to memory card was a plus as well, but for games that don't offer that, in most cases saving and loading states are fine depending on system/game.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: MESS Status new [Re: R. Belmont]
#335024 - 12/09/14 09:17 PM

> If you're running UME already, why not try out the games you're interested in
> playing? Nobody has any comprehensive compatibility data, but if you know what you
> want to play we can guide you more accurately.

Taking advantage of the topic I would like to ask: If MAME/MESS has an empty driver to select the system, what stops MESS from prompting to select a cartridge instead of the "FATALERROR: Driver requires that device "cartridge" must have an image to load" message?

Yeah I know, "use a front-end like QMC2" or "load any game name you know and then search the one you'll load next from the softlist". It just picked my curiosity recently. Also the second solution leads to crash errors or so it did in previous versions. A cartridge was loaded properly without crashing, only if it was loaded from the start without switching it. NES and SNES or Genesis come to mind.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: MESS Status new [Re: BIOS-D]
#335025 - 12/09/14 09:44 PM

> > If you're running UME already, why not try out the games you're interested in
> > playing? Nobody has any comprehensive compatibility data, but if you know what you
> > want to play we can guide you more accurately.
>
> Taking advantage of the topic I would like to ask: If MAME/MESS has an empty driver
> to select the system, what stops MESS from prompting to select a cartridge instead of
> the "FATALERROR: Driver requires that device "cartridge" must have an image to load"
> message?
>
> Yeah I know, "use a front-end like QMC2" or "load any game name you know and then
> search the one you'll load next from the softlist". It just picked my curiosity
> recently. Also the second solution leads to crash errors or so it did in previous
> versions. A cartridge was loaded properly without crashing, only if it was loaded
> from the start without switching it. NES and SNES or Genesis come to mind.

I'm sure there is a solution but nothing has been coded internally as of yet to deal with those 'cart required' situations (as well as those that require no BIOSes). The file selection part of the UI is considered to be a fallback and never meant to replace a front-end or command-line interaction. Given time, I'm sure the situation will be fixed.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MESS Status new [Re: Tafoid]
#335026 - 12/09/14 09:56 PM

> I'm sure there is a solution but nothing has been coded internally as of yet to deal
> with those 'cart required' situations (as well as those that require no BIOSes). The
> file selection part of the UI is considered to be a fallback and never meant to
> replace a front-end or command-line interaction. Given time, I'm sure the situation
> will be fixed.

Indeed, oh and as always when something fails on my side it turns out has been fixed already, the cart switching is working fine now. I swear it was giving me problems in previous versions. Next time I'm gonna test everything with a recent version before commenting. Now I'm wondering if switching CD-ROMs is working fine too, I better give it a test.

RetroRepair
MAME Fan
Send PM

#335031 - 12/10/14 06:28 AM

Do any Saturn games work? All I've tried either get stuck at loading screen or just go right to black screen. I assume it's to do with CD ROM access? Since ST-V game work so well.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

#335078 - 12/11/14 09:41 PM

> Do any Saturn games work? All I've tried either get stuck at loading screen or just
> go right to black screen. I assume it's to do with CD ROM access? Since ST-V game
> work so well.

I recommend to stick to 2D games, they have small glitches but are playable. For example we have "Advanced V.G. (Japan)", "Akumajou Dracula X - Gekka no Yasoukyoku (Japan) (2M)" or "Sakura Taisen (Japan) (Disc 1) (7M, 9M)". Games like "Sonic Jam (USA)" or "Dead or Alive (Japan) (2M)" may work but are glitched. Games like "Virtua Cop (USA) (8S, 12S)", "Center Ring Boxing (USA)" or "Sonic R (USA, Brazil)" run but are either slow or freeze after a while.

HINT: There is not need to convert an ISO to CHD, just load the .cue file. And don't forget to do a "SHIFT+F3" (reset game) after loading just in case.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 246 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3851