MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

The King Of Arcades (2014)
#334313 - 11/06/14 05:03 PM

Looks like a sequel to King of Kong. http://thekingofarcades.com/

casm
Cinematronics > *
Reged: 08/27/07
Send PM

Re: The King Of Arcades (2014) new [Re: joey35car]
#334326 - 11/06/14 07:59 PM

> Looks like a sequel to King of Kong. http://thekingofarcades.com/

Other than a few of the same people who were in KoK appearing in it, it looks to be unrelated; see the IMDB entry for details.

Being completely honest: while I'll still (eventually) watch it, arcade documentaries seem to be pretty much played-out at this point. I really hope this one has something new to offer, but they've mostly turned into either rehashes on film of material available online or showcases for bizarre personal characteristics.

I really am hoping for better than that from this one, but my expectations aren't high.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: The King Of Arcades (2014) new [Re: casm]
#334350 - 11/06/14 11:49 PM

> I really am hoping for better than that from this one, but my expectations aren't high.

The lives of others, and their personalities, aren't necessarily special or even that entertaining.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

swm3rd
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/03/09
Send PM

Re: The King Of Arcades (2014) new [Re: Traso]
#334379 - 11/07/14 06:39 AM

I was at the premier in Bethlehem, PA a few months ago. I've met several people who are in the documentary.

I appear (uncredited) a few times in the documentary. There's a few second of one of my early Ms. Pac-Man Turbo world record attempts (the score reads 700,000+).

casm
Cinematronics > *
Send PM

Re: The King Of Arcades (2014) new [Re: swm3rd]
#334383 - 11/07/14 07:41 AM

> I was at the premier in Bethlehem, PA a few months ago. I've met several people who
> are in the documentary.
>
> I appear (uncredited) a few times in the documentary. There's a few second of one of
> my early Ms. Pac-Man Turbo world record attempts (the score reads 700,000+).

Cool. Out of curiosity, how do you think it holds up against the other documentaries that have come out over the past few years?

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#334446 - 11/12/14 03:04 AM

> The lives of others, and their personalities, aren't necessarily special or even that
> entertaining.

Please keep that in mind when you post here.

S

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#334447 - 11/12/14 05:00 AM

> The lives of others, and their personalities, aren't necessarily special or even that
> entertaining.

http://youtu.be/8gFb4yHXJbw

casm
Cinematronics > *
Send PM

Just watched it new [Re: joey35car]
#334453 - 11/12/14 09:34 PM

Laid up with the 'flu, so decided to grab a copy and check it out. It's officially available for download here (720p, no DRM) via gog.com for $2.99 right now, which is half-off the regular price. The DVD is on Amazon here for $12.98.

Before getting into what the movie is, I'm going to describe what it's not:

• It's not a movie about chasing high scores
  • It's not a movie following individuals within the classic arcade gaming scene
  • It's not a movie documenting the history of arcade games or gaming

That said, each of those items is a component of the film, which is basically about Richie Knucklez' love for old video games and how that has affected both his life and others' lives.

Where high score competitions are mentioned, they are shown as an aspect of how that has shaped his interests - much as any part looking at other individuals or the history of gaming does. These are not the focal points of the film, however. The games, how they affected him and others, and how that led him to open an arcade full of classic games is the story.

Overall, an enjoyable watch. The last third is a little uneven in terms of pacing (frankly, it gets slow at times), but it's basically well done. Not going to break any new ground with anyone familiar with most of the history, but it is an aspect of classic arcade gaming that hasn't really been focussed on until now.

There's also a stinger after the credits. Won't spoil it (and it is pretty silly), but it is something to look out for.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Just watched it new [Re: casm]
#334508 - 11/18/14 01:22 PM

> Overall, an enjoyable watch. The last third is a little uneven in terms of pacing
> (frankly, it gets slow at times), but it's basically well done. Not going to break
> any new ground with anyone familiar with most of the history, but it is an aspect of
> classic arcade gaming that hasn't really been focussed on until now.

Yes, I agree. I'll probably watch it again in a month or so.

I was in Denver a few years ago, and after going to a baseball game I happened to stumble across the same bar, as shown in the movie, with the arcade games, but I was refused entry because I did not have my driver's license with me. WTF ???? I thought the guy on the door was joking. WTF is this driver's license all about ? Over the top security or what ? Anyway, by the time I got back to my hotel, it had been a long day, I just could not be bothered slogging back across town to go the arcade bar. Wish I had .... It was crowded with people and was pumping out loud music - everyone was obviously having a great time.

> There's also a stinger after the credits. Won't spoil it (and it is pretty silly),
> but it is something to look out for.

Absolutely. I almost switched it off, but had a feeling there might be something after the credits because ~6 minutes of pure credits is just way too much, so I fast forwarded just in case there was some bonus content after the credits and there was. Very funny !

Moose

casm
Cinematronics > *
Send PM

Re: Just watched it new [Re: Moose]
#334509 - 11/18/14 05:42 PM

> I happened to
> stumble across the same bar, as shown in the movie, with the arcade games, but I was
> refused entry because I did not have my driver's license with me. WTF ???? I thought
> the guy on the door was joking. WTF is this driver's license all about ? Over the top
> security or what ?

No, that's courtesy of the National Minimum Drinking Age Act. Basically, the legal drinking age in the US is set at 21; the fines levied against bars not sticking to that can be pretty stiff. My guess is that the 1UP were caught with underage customers, got caught, and went gung-ho on checking IDs at the door.

If it's any consolation, I've been refused alcohol and tobacco here when the only ID I had on me at the time was my Irish passport. Apparently that's not a government-issued ID even though that's what the signs requested.

> Absolutely. I almost switched it off, but had a feeling there might be something
> after the credits because ~6 minutes of pure credits is just way too much, so I fast
> forwarded just in case there was some bonus content after the credits and there was.
> Very funny !

What's amusing is that if you check the credits closely, they actually spill the beans that there might be something else coming up. It's basically an accidental spoiler, but it's there.

Moose
Send PM

Re: Just watched it new [Re: casm]
#334511 - 11/19/14 01:00 AM

> > I happened to
> > stumble across the same bar, as shown in the movie, with the arcade games, but I
> was
> > refused entry because I did not have my driver's license with me. WTF ???? I
> thought
> > the guy on the door was joking. WTF is this driver's license all about ? Over the
> top
> > security or what ?
>
> No, that's courtesy of the National Minimum Drinking Age Act. Basically, the legal
> drinking age in the US is set at 21; the fines levied against bars not sticking to
> that can be pretty stiff. My guess is that the 1UP were caught with underage
> customers, got caught, and went gung-ho on checking IDs at the door.

Yes, the fines for staff and managers can be bankrupting. Guess I could understand it more if I looked young / was in my early twenties. But I'm in my late 40's .... Ahh well, next time I'm in Denver ...

Moose

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#334525 - 11/20/14 01:10 AM

>I was in Denver a few years ago, and after going to a baseball game I happened to
>stumble across the same bar, as shown in the movie, with the arcade games, but I was
>refused entry because I did not have my driver's license with me. WTF ???? I thought
>the guy on the door was joking. WTF is this driver's license all about ? Over the top
>security or what?

You might have had a better time had you been able to drive south on I-25 and go to Manitou Springs, CO Arcade Amusements place...west of Colorado Springs. I posted back in 2001 of how that place had lots of 1970s era games and lots of electro mechanical games there. I have not been there since 2007 so probably not as many older items there compared to 2001.

They had a working Kee Games Quiz Show cab when I first visited there in 2001. It was removed/gone sometime before I visited there again in 2007.

I am crossing fingers that the Kee Games Quiz Show tapes that were found earlier this year can still be readable, but I am guessing it might take sizeable spending money (donations) to have tapes processed (data copied to a digital format).

I am in for sending a donation for that myself in case it happens or whenever it happens because I would like to see Quiz Show emulated/preserved.

Moose
Send PM

Re: Just watched it new [Re: gregf]
#334536 - 11/20/14 07:00 AM

> You might have had a better time had you been able to drive south on I-25 and go to
> Manitou Springs, CO Arcade Amusements place...west of Colorado Springs. I posted back
> in 2001 of how that place had lots of 1970s era games and lots of electro mechanical
> games there. I have not been there since 2007 so probably not as many older items
> there compared to 2001.

Ahhh that sounds great, thanks Greg.

Actually, this topic might make a great "sticky" here in one of the forums - "the best arcades by Country / State" ? That way, if anyone is planning a trip, they could drop in on the ones they can ...

How about it RocLobsta, twisty, italie, Mr. Do, redk9258, URherenow, Tafoid ?

> I am crossing fingers that the Kee Games Quiz Show tapes that were found earlier
> this year can still be readable, but I am guessing it might take sizeable spending
> money (donations) to have tapes processed (data copied to a digital format).

Thanks for the reminder, I've really got to get organized and do some tape archiving as well - a couple of old VHS tapes and 3-4 old audio tapes from childhood and the last surviving tape with some of my earliest programs from my old Apple ][ days ...

Moose

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: The King Of Arcades (2014) new [Re: Sune]
#334550 - 11/21/14 05:28 AM

> > The lives of others, and their personalities, aren't necessarily special or even
> that
> > entertaining.
>
> Please keep that in mind when you post here.
>
> S

You're just being reactionary. Though, older and more adult folks tend to find me more novel......

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#334552 - 11/21/14 06:03 AM

> Yes, the fines for staff and managers can be bankrupting. Guess I could understand it more if I looked young / was in my early twenties. But I'm in my late 40's .... Ahh well, next time I'm in Denver ...

I got carded today at jerkle K for lighter fluid and a Mega. Now, the lady was probably in her sixties, and I do look quite youthful, but I'm obviously over 21. I've been refused lottery tickets for not having my ID, though. Even if they think you're of age, if they ask, and you don't got, you're hosed.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Re: Just watched it new [Re: Traso]
#334573 - 11/22/14 01:03 AM

It was a good film. I still enjoyed KoK more though.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 378 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3185