MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

MESS softlist paths: by xml filename or datafile name?
#333947 - 10/29/14 03:30 PM

I find a bit conflicting datafile internal names don't match xml filenames. The following hash files as of MESS 0.155 have that issue:

g7400.xml
softwarelist name="vg7400" description="Philips Videopac Plus G7400 cartridges"

fmtowns_cd.xml
softwarelist name="fmtowns" description="FM Towns CD-ROMs"

pegasus_cart.xml
softwarelist name="pegasus" description="Technosys Aamber Pegasus ROM expansions"

radio86_cass.xml
softwarelist name="radio86" description="Radio-86RK cassettes"

Doing some tests, if I try and load a Videopac Plus G7400 cartridge I get the following:

WARNING: support for software helicopt (in list g7400) is only preliminary
helicopter rescue (europe).bin NOT FOUND (tried in g7400 odyssey2 g7400\helicopt
helicopt)
FATALERROR: Required files are missing, the system cannot be run.

Which obviously obeys it's following internal software list name. Not a problem, that "mistake" has been there since 3 to 5 official builds and it was the only one. But now we have 3 more hash files. If I try and load a Radio-86RK cassette, it won't load on a "radio86" path. Only if it's in a "radio86_cass" path, that is following xml filename.

Not a complain, only reporting what it could be an omission. I don't have a bannister account, so sorry for reporting this here.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: MESS softlist paths: by xml filename or datafile name? new [Re: BIOS-D]
#333951 - 10/29/14 04:29 PM

It works the same as MAME so you would load by set name and not description.

Code:

mame64 sf2

and not mame64 Street Fighter II

Or

Code:

mess64 nes smb1

and not

mess64 Nintendo Entertainment System Super Mario Bros. /Duck Hunt w/e .....

So yes, the XML filename or set name is correct for usage in the emulator.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MESS softlist paths: by xml filename or datafile name? new [Re: B2K24]
#333955 - 10/29/14 05:37 PM

OK, somehow I got a bit confused between softlist path name, softlist xml filename and softlist internal name.

If I do a "mess64.exe g7400 -cart freedom" it will load if it's on a "g7400" softlist path (g7400\freedom.zip). Softlist name is "vg7400" and doesn't follow it contrary to what I said in the previous post.

If I do a "mess64.exe radio86 -cass basic80" it will load if it's on a "radio86_cass" softlist path (radio86_cass\basic80.zip). Softlist name is "radio86".

So far every softlist path matched xml filename AND softlist name. So I though it would make sense to follow the same standard for each one. In the end softlist name doesn't matter but softlist xml filename does. All this time I've been using batch profiles with the wrong option. "For rompath naming use" should have been "DatFile file" instead of "DatFile Name Tag".

Thank you.

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

#333957 - 10/29/14 05:40 PM

those softwarelist names are wrong. thanks for catching those

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

#334024 - 10/30/14 09:34 PM

These have been fixed. For future reference, let me however clarify what happens internally.

1. drivers define the softlist name (e.g. "g7400")
2. the emulator looks for an xml file with the same name in one of your hashpaths (e.g. "hash/g7400.xml")
3. when asked to load one of the games of the xml list, the emulator searches the roms inside a folder with the same name as the xml file relative to one of your rompaths (e.g. "roms/g7400")

as a result, the only thing that really matters is the xml name

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: MESS softlist paths: by xml filename or datafile name? new [Re: etabeta]
#334033 - 10/31/14 12:23 AM

> These have been fixed. For future reference, let me however clarify what happens
> internally.
>
> 1. drivers define the softlist name (e.g. "g7400")
> 2. the emulator looks for an xml file with the same name in one of your hashpaths
> (e.g. "hash/g7400.xml")
> 3. when asked to load one of the games of the xml list, the emulator searches the
> roms inside a folder with the same name as the xml file relative to one of your
> rompaths (e.g. "roms/g7400")
>
> as a result, the only thing that really matters is the xml name

In case there are situations where the tagging information does need to be different than the actual filename, If the rom manager would change the default setting of DatFile Name Tag to DatFile File, then it wouldn't matter what's tagged inside.

I've had it this way in my setup for years...

http://imgur.com/NJowk8p

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MESS softlist paths: by xml filename or datafile name? new [Re: etabeta]
#334036 - 10/31/14 02:02 AM

> These have been fixed. For future reference, let me however clarify what happens
> internally.
>
> 1. drivers define the softlist name (e.g. "g7400")
> 2. the emulator looks for an xml file with the same name in one of your hashpaths
> (e.g. "hash/g7400.xml")
> 3. when asked to load one of the games of the xml list, the emulator searches the
> roms inside a folder with the same name as the xml file relative to one of your
> rompaths (e.g. "roms/g7400")
>
> as a result, the only thing that really matters is the xml name

Thank you for the explanation. It's probably not needed anymore, but if I ever find something like that next time I'll let you know via PM.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 420 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3608