MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

JonBoyRetro
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/25/11
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Smoothness of your monitor / latency test
#333789 - 10/25/14 03:27 PM

Hi all,

As part of a previous post, I included a link which tests the latency of your panel/monitor. The link is now in this separate post for those who may want to test their monitors and who missed that particular posting. It is very useful.

http://www.testufo.com/#test=ghosting&am...0&pursuit=0

Latency is the ghosting (or trail) that you get when an object moves smoothly across the screen. For flat screens, it's the ability (or not) of the panel to raise and lower the appropriate pixels sufficiently fast such that they don't appear within the next frame. When this occurs, objects are 'muddied' with several pixels, in various states of decay, appearing on the screen at once.

It's the reason I stick with a traditional CRT as the nature of the technology means they don't suffer from latency. I did try a 1ms panel in the summer (Asus VN247H) only to find the latency is still very much present. So, it seems, if you want the best display for MAME (and gaming generally), CRT's are still the way to go.

With a CRT, you should get no ghosting. To confirm whether your monitor suffers, click on the link and follow the spaceship with your eye. You should see all of the detail if latency is non-existent. Note that for big screen TV's, plasma seem to be better than LED's for some reason.

Have fun (or not as the case may be).

God, I miss those dark, musty arcades ....

vio
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/30/14
Send PM

Re: Smoothness of your monitor / latency test new [Re: JonBoyRetro]
#333852 - 10/27/14 07:47 AM

This is what I get with my laptop screen:
http://1drv.ms/1ssrVDc

Edit: I also added the picture I get when I hit PrtSc, to make sure this blur wasn't originated from the application.

Edited by vio (10/27/14 08:49 AM)

JonBoyRetro
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Smoothness of your monitor / latency test new [Re: vio]
#333855 - 10/27/14 09:55 AM

Hi, Can't see the picture, sadly. I guess it's not good news, then? Having researched a lot on monitors, the impression I get is, to get the best image for gaming, CRT's are still the way to go. On a related note, try this site, which is also very interesting:

http://www.displaylag.com/

I did E-Mail this guy about the experiences (as well as reading stuff on lots of other sites). Here is his reply:

Re: Ghosting Test

Hello Gary,
Yes, unfortunately it is possible for certain displays to be slower than others when it comes to handling motion blur. I've only tested the input lag on this specific monitor, and didn't do a thorough review of it. However, the monitors I have done full reviews for, I do use Test UFO as my benchmark for blur testing. Please feel free to read up on those reviews if you're curious on how they fare.

I'd say the closest I've seen to CRT-like motion handling without overclocking is the BenQ RL2455HM, but it still cannot match the clarity of a CRT completely. Technology hasn't caught up in that regard, sadly.

vio
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/30/14
Send PM

Re: Smoothness of your monitor / latency test new [Re: JonBoyRetro]
#333881 - 10/28/14 03:10 AM

The picture I posted is similar to the ones that can be found in this page:
http://www.displaylag.com/benq-xl2720z-review-144hz-gaming-monitor

CRT displays have pixel persistence too. There is a picture showing this in the following link:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1808071

However, behaviour of CRT is different. It doesn't distort the image. Trailing is only limited to bright fast moving objects (games like DXBall, Arkanoid can be used to observe this).

So when a CRT display is accepting 60 Hz refresh rate, it is really able to adequately show 60 fps animation. It's not completely artifact-free but it's enjoyable, the animation is smooth enough. Unfortunately that's not the case with LCD displays.

While I was searching if new technologies like OLED would match CRT performance, I came across this interesting article which shows that there is a more fundamental issue of LCD displays than pixel persistence. Because of behaviour of human eye, smooth animation cannot be achieved with flickerless displays.
http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/oled-motion-blur

Edited by vio (10/28/14 05:49 AM)

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

I SAID...... new [Re: vio]
#333933 - 10/29/14 07:16 AM

This has been researched and documented on the BYOAC forum. Ya best go look there if you want to know what the deal is.

Now that said, I just fired up some games on my few-years-old Acer 22" LCD, and there is almost no blur. You only MAY-BE notice it on a totally black screen, for example Ms-pac during the attract sequence. And, really, black background, golden age, games are those affected. So I guess my monitor doesn't suck, but it ain't high-end. And I [do] know suck because back in aught-six when I wanted to go LCD and got one, it did ghost. Like fuckin water colors.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

JonBoyRetro
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Smoothness of your monitor / latency test new [Re: vio]
#333945 - 10/29/14 01:45 PM

Hi vio,

That is a really interesting response - many thanks for that. I agree about CRT trails on bright objects. I deliberately didn't mention it so as not to confuse the overall message which is that CRT's are a lot better than panels generally. You do see trails slightly, on the UFO test, for the brighter elements. However, as you say, it is way more acceptable than even a good LCD. Shame as I really wanted an LCD. I won't be upgrading to a panel any time soon since, once you notice trails (pixel persistence), it is immensely irritating.
Pity about the OLED's - something I would consider.
Odd that a 100-year old tech is actually better, in these cases, than the newer tech. Oh well.

Once again, thanks for your excellent response.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 698 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2176