MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

dylstew
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/16/14
Send PM

Can someone help me find the name of this game? (Asteroids type shooter)
#333300 - 10/16/14 05:58 PM

There was this mame game I played when I was young that played kind of like Asteroids, but without a single screen. The screen would scroll with you. The graphics were more 16 bit style than 8 bit. There would be this weird round grey thing with I think red eyes that would talk to you in actual voice, and I think the goal was to destroy that thing when it appeared. I think the name of the game was the name of that enemy.

Got any ideas?

edit: Thank you, it's Sinistar. I remember playing it on MAME when I was like 6(Now I'm 17, almost 18). Now because of that reply I also know why I could barely control it xD.

Edited by dylstew (10/16/14 06:22 PM)

VirtuaIceMan
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/22/07
Send PM

Re: Can someone help me find the name of this game? (Asteroids type shooter) new [Re: dylstew]
#333302 - 10/16/14 06:08 PM

Sinistar?

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Re: Can someone help me find the name of this game? (Asteroids type shooter) new [Re: dylstew]
#333303 - 10/16/14 06:09 PM

the game is called Sinistar
it is not easy to play in mame unfortunately as the cabinet uses a special custom joystick

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#333304 - 10/16/14 06:14 PM

> Got any ideas?

Yes, I got one :

P.S Go to 3:36 for talking head

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Re: Can someone help me find the name of this game? (Asteroids type shooter) new [Re: CTOJAH]
#333305 - 10/16/14 06:23 PM

the screen doesnt scroll in blasteroids
also, the boss in blasteroids isnt called 'blasteroids'

(god im gonna look like a right dick if it is indeed blasteroids hes talking about )

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#333306 - 10/16/14 08:29 PM

> edit: Thank you, it's Sinistar. I remember playing it on MAME when I was like 6(Now
> I'm 17, almost 18). Now because of that reply I also know why I could barely control
> it xD.

Good god, thanks for making me feel old.

dylstew
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Can someone help me find the name of this game? (Asteroids type shooter) new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#333317 - 10/16/14 09:39 PM

> > edit: Thank you, it's Sinistar. I remember playing it on MAME when I was like 6(Now
> > I'm 17, almost 18). Now because of that reply I also know why I could barely
> control
> > it xD.
>
> Good god, thanks for making me feel old.

Considering the fact that this is a mame forum, I figured the people here would be a lot older :P.

One thing though. I had a hard time navigating this forum until I found out you can collapse the topics and then have a flat view. Why is the other format the default? 0.o.

Edited by dylstew (10/16/14 09:51 PM)

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#333334 - 10/17/14 05:29 AM

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Can someone help me find the name of this game? (Asteroids type shooter) new [Re: Robbbert]
#333335 - 10/17/14 05:31 AM

> > One thing though. I had a hard time navigating this forum until I found out you can
> > collapse the topics and then have a flat view. Why is the other format the default?
> > 0.o.
>
> I don't know but it's damned annoying.
>
> You can change it to the 'flat' format in your settings, then it will become the
> default while ever you're logged in.

Threaded view is the best!

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#333339 - 10/17/14 06:27 AM

> One thing though. I had a hard time navigating this forum until I found out you can
> collapse the topics and then have a flat view. Why is the other format the default?
> 0.o.

No idea, glad you're on the logical side though.

Yes, we've had forum battles over it.

- Stiletto

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Can someone help me find the name of this game? (Asteroids type shooter) new [Re: Stiletto]
#333347 - 10/17/14 08:53 AM

> No idea, glad you're on the logical side though.

It would be logical if everyone bothered to quote the person to whom they're replying. As people don't, flat view is a miserable shit-show thanks to it being very unclear who is replying to whom, and a lot of context is lost.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Can someone help me find the name of this game? (Asteroids type shooter) new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#333380 - 10/17/14 05:30 PM

> > No idea, glad you're on the logical side though.
>
> It would be logical if everyone bothered to quote the person to whom they're
> replying. As people don't, flat view is a miserable shit-show thanks to it being very
> unclear who is replying to whom, and a lot of context is lost.

+1. Flat view makes it impossible to follow conversations.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Can someone help me find the name of this game? (Asteroids type shooter) new [Re: R. Belmont]
#333401 - 10/18/14 12:33 AM

> > > No idea, glad you're on the logical side though.

> > It would be logical if everyone bothered to quote the person to whom they're replying. As people don't, flat view is a miserable shit-show thanks to it being very unclear who is replying to whom, and a lot of context is lost.

> +1. Flat view makes it impossible to follow conversations.

The problem is that quoting a reply doesn't show who's being quoted. It's like that bit of the forum software has stayed in '96 or something. I go to some length by at least using the arrows, generated, like shown above. Occasionally I'll bb a quote. I don't put in the code for who's being quoted.

> Good god, thanks for making me feel old.

I rather feel young when a youngen comes in looking for something from '82. Niice.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Can someone help me find the name of this game? (Asteroids type shooter) new [Re: R. Belmont]
#333460 - 10/18/14 10:46 PM

> +1. Flat view makes it impossible to follow conversations.

Why are you using flat view?

dylstew
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Can someone help me find the name of this game? (Asteroids type shooter) new [Re: Traso]
#333768 - 10/24/14 05:03 PM

Since you guys have been around longer than me, have you all played arkanoid on a real arcade machine?
On mame, it's difficult as fuck. Is it also difficult on the real thing? Because the real thing has a:Way less input lagg and B:a paddle controller.

Everyday I wish emulators didn't have that much input lag...

Edited by dylstew (10/24/14 05:04 PM)

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#333769 - 10/24/14 05:22 PM

No lag, no lag at all !!!
You probably think of speed of the bat/space ship.
Go to (TAB) menu, then go to ANALOG CONTROLS and finally to Dial Digital Speed. (Change it from 15 which is default to 30 and try again)

dylstew
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Can someone help me find the name of this game? (Asteroids type shooter) new [Re: CTOJAH]
#333771 - 10/24/14 08:08 PM

> No lag, no lag at all !!!
> You probably think of speed of the bat/space ship.
> Go to (TAB) menu, then go to ANALOG CONTROLS and finally to Dial Digital Speed.
> (Change it from 15 which is default to 30 and try again)

uuhm, you move your mouse, it happens sligtly later than on the real thing on a CRT. It's like that in all emulators on PC, no matter what settings. I asked the creator of Higan and it's impossible to fix with the current hardware. It has to do with syncing the video/sound and the refresh rate of your monitor or something, I don't know, it's complicated because a lot of things are a factor in the input lag, but in total it's more than on the real console, and I can feel it.
Especially in Rhyhm Games, it makes for example Rhythm Tengoku on GBA almost pointless.

I'm just wondering how much impact it has on my performance in Arkanoid, especially considering I don't have a paddle controller on PC.

Some do have less input lag than others though.

Edited by dylstew (10/24/14 08:11 PM)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#333780 - 10/25/14 03:29 AM

> I'm just wondering how much impact it has on my performance in Arkanoid, especially
> considering I don't have a paddle controller on PC.

Arkanoid uses a spinner/dial, not a paddle controller. It's a completely different beast.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#333827 - 10/26/14 04:40 PM

> It has to do with syncing the video/sound and the refresh rate of your monitor
> or something

On real hardware the cpu can update video ram the instant before the pixels appear on screen & it can read inputs immediately.

Emulators generally have the inputs from the start of the frame, for the next 1/60th of a second you'll get the same inputs while on arcade hardware they could change during that time. Then at the end of the frame you pass the image to the OS to display, which is 1/60th of a second later than real hardware.

There isn't really anything you can do about it, the FPGA emulators that plug into real controls and monitors are likely to be much better but we're a long way off that being something that everyone has.

But even real monitors aren't great, LCD displays for example often add another frame or more of latency.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#333932 - 10/29/14 06:56 AM

A mouse is dual-axis, meaning going up or down can slew the side to side movement and hence tracking, not to mention your own feel of it. Arkanoid uses a resistive, geared spinner. While this translates to smoother movement of the control, the resitive element means it won't necessarily spin across the screen if you spin hard and let go. Which is why I prefer my Tornado (or any modern-day) spinner, with which I experience about zero latency.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

dylstew
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Can someone help me find the name of this game? (Asteroids type shooter) new [Re: ]
#334070 - 10/31/14 10:10 PM

> > It has to do with syncing the video/sound and the refresh rate of your monitor
> > or something
>
> On real hardware the cpu can update video ram the instant before the pixels appear on
> screen & it can read inputs immediately.
>
> Emulators generally have the inputs from the start of the frame, for the next 1/60th
> of a second you'll get the same inputs while on arcade hardware they could change
> during that time. Then at the end of the frame you pass the image to the OS to
> display, which is 1/60th of a second later than real hardware.
>
> There isn't really anything you can do about it, the FPGA emulators that plug into
> real controls and monitors are likely to be much better but we're a long way off that
> being something that everyone has.
>
> But even real monitors aren't great, LCD displays for example often add another frame
> or more of latency.
Thanks for the explenation.

Emulation without that latency.
I can only dream. xD

Edited by dylstew (10/31/14 10:10 PM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 278 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3782