MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Reynard
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/28/06
Loc: Australia
Send PM

Brand new PC, can't get 100% speed with DirectDraw.
#332947 - 10/08/14 08:50 AM

I've recently put together a considerably powerful new PC, and now I can't run MAME like I could on my 11 year old XP system...

I cannot stand bilinear filtering or non-even pixel sizes, so I only use mame in DirectDraw mode, I've tried all the video option combinations that I know and some game engines run with erratic, slow framerates and jittery sound. CPS2, Neo-Geo & Sega System 16 being prime examples, while others such as Cave's run just fine.

I can use Direct3D and get perfect speed, but as far as I can tell there seems to be now way to get perfectly scaled, unfiltered pixels in D3D mode. Am I missing something?

I've tried the latest Vanilla MAME64 and MAMEUI64 and I'm currently using a 60hz CRT at 1280x1024 on an i7 4790K, with 16gb RAM, MSI Z97 Gaming7 Mobo, Radeon R9 290X card and Windows 7 Ultimate.

Can anyone please help?

Edited by Reynard (10/08/14 11:08 AM)

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Brand new PC, can't get 100% speed with DirectDraw. new [Re: Reynard]
#332957 - 10/08/14 04:42 PM

> I can use Direct3D and get perfect speed, but as far as I can tell there seems to be
> now way to get perfectly scaled, unfiltered pixels in D3D mode. Am I missing
> something?

Set Filter to 0 and Prescale to 2 or 3. Or you can ask at BYOAC, they are a lot smarter than us.

S

Reynard
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/28/06
Loc: Australia
Send PM

Re: Brand new PC, can't get 100% speed with DirectDraw. new [Re: Sune]
#334213 - 11/04/14 03:19 PM

This still causes pixel width distortion... but the filter with prescale 2 seems to tighten everything up, DDraw still takes a huge speed hit at prescale 3 but D3D is fine. There's still a very faint blur but it's surprisingly unobtrusive. Not exactly what I wanted, but I can cope. I never tried messing with prescale, thanks for the help.

Something is definitely up with directdraw on modern systems, I've tried win 7 ultimate & premium ati systems and a win 8 nvidia system and DDraw is ungodly slow on all of them, but fine on my significantly slower XP box.

Edited by Reynard (11/04/14 03:24 PM)

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

UniVBE/VESA slow too... new [Re: Reynard]
#334216 - 11/04/14 04:54 PM

> Something is definitely up with directdraw on modern systems, I've tried win 7
> ultimate & premium ati systems and a win 8 nvidia system and DDraw is ungodly slow on
> all of them, but fine on my significantly slower XP box.

You've pretty much already hit the nail on the head. DirectDraw is slower on modern systems, period. Has nothing to do with MAME.

Since version 7, of what we now refer to as Direct X, DirectDraw has been deprecated by Microsoft. There is support under version 8 and 9 of Direct X via API addons, but much still relies on the old(er) Direct X (6/7) interfaces.

In fact, starting in June 2010, DirectX SDK completely removed the DirectDraw libraries and header file.

You could try the full 9.0c install to see if it helps...
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3

..but you may be SOL trying to obtain the same results with DirectDraw under Windows 7/8 as opposed to XP.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Or, you could try a higher resolution..... new [Re: Trebor]
#334236 - 11/05/14 02:00 AM

I don't have none of these issues you speak of at even lower resolutions, but then I know the difference in display between DD and D3D; LCD, PC CRT, 27" CRT, 19" CRT; old MAME versus new/current MAME.

Anyways, like I intimated: given you have a bleeding(er) edge system, and if you're using and LCD, go D3D and res as high as you can. Don't dick around, yo.

> > Or you can ask at BYOAC, they are a lot smarter than us.
>
> S

SUNE, you fucking sexy beast! I was missin ya!!

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 329 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1844