MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Nightbringer
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/29/11
Send PM

Anyone else notice weirdness in some of the Atari vectors since 0.153?
#332938 - 10/08/14 05:02 AM

Specifically Asteroids, AD, Space Duel, Black Widow & Gravitar (not Battlezone though).

I have 0.153 and 0.154 compiled on a couple different machines and they all run those games slightly too slow as indicated by the F11 "Frames per Second" and the sound skips a bit.

Maybe related to this change? "r29388 Various Atari vector drivers: derive (fake) refresh rate from CPU IRQ frequency to reduce juddering [Alex Jackson]"

Just thought I'd see if anyone else sees what I'm seeing ...

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

Re: Anyone else notice weirdness in some of the Atari vectors since 0.153? new [Re: Nightbringer]
#332958 - 10/08/14 04:49 PM

MAME now runs those games at frame rates more closely matching the frequency of their internal logic (vector monitors don't really have a "refresh rate", but MAME needs one). You'll have to use the same settings as for other games with native refresh rates higher than 60Hz (Galaxian, Pac-Man, etc.)

Nightbringer
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/29/11
Send PM

Re: Anyone else notice weirdness in some of the Atari vectors since 0.153? new [Re: AWJ]
#332986 - 10/09/14 06:41 AM

Ah, how dense of me. Disabling waitvsync for those games fixes the issue. Thanks for the tip!

JonBoyRetro
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/25/11
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Anyone else notice weirdness in some of the Atari vectors since 0.153? new [Re: Nightbringer]
#333487 - 10/19/14 12:22 PM

Hello. I used to own this tabletop in the dim and distant past so it is a game close to my heart.
To get the smoothest version of this game to match that of the coin-op, it is best to have the following settings:
Triple buffering: On
Sync to monitor refresh: On
Frame skipping Automatic: Off

Note that your monitor must be set to 60fps natively.
This will give you uber (buttery) smooth game play.

If you don't do this, watch the big spaceships as they come on (as well as the asteroids themselves). They will 'leap' ever so slightly which is not how they should move.
Hope this helps.

God, I miss those dark, musty arcades ....

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 451 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1435