MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

Drag Race tachometer test
#332743 - 10/04/14 02:52 AM Attachment: Untitled.jpg 235 KB (3 downloads)

I've been working on this one off and on for couple months, but I've gone as far as I can without some help. Atari Drag Race is pretty much impossible to play without the tachometer to indicate when to shift. I found a photo of the tachometer and created a control panel and separate graphics for the needle in each position. I thought it would work but couldn't test it because MAME would not cooperate. Then recently I realized that Sega's Turbo has working tach output and modified my Drag Race files for Turbo and ... Voila! Working tachometer.

Now I need some help from you guys to get this working with Drag Race. From the schematic, I've determined that the tachometer is driven from the same frequency generator that creates the engine sound. The MAME driver has sound, so that signal is definitely being emulated, but I can't seem to get access to it. It uses 6 outputs per tach which allows for 32 distinct speeds. Tach #1 uses the lowest 6 bits of m_misc_flags (~m_misc_flags & 0x0000001f) and tach #2 uses 6 bits in the middle ((~m_misc_flags & 0x001f0000) >> 0x10). I'm not sure if the driver needs to be modified to makes these signals available to the LAY file or if there's some LAY file commands I don't know about that can do it, but either way I could really use some help.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Drag Race tachometer test new [Re: Comboman]
#332744 - 10/04/14 02:54 AM Attachment: turbo.zip 2442 KB (15 downloads)

If anyone wants to play around with the test file, here it is. Be sure to backup your old Turbo.zip artwork file first.

hap
Reged: 12/01/08
Send PM

#332759 - 10/04/14 02:21 PM

Ok, please try with the newest svn revision.

Retro27
Play The Past
Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: leeds (UK)
Send PM

Re: Drag Race tachometer test new [Re: hap]
#332796 - 10/05/14 01:04 PM Attachment: 4gears.png 3 KB (1 downloads)

Great work. Would it be possible to show the gear changes?
This could be used on a number of different games.

See attached image for mock up.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Retro
Play the Past.

www.freewebs.com/retro27/

Comboman
Send PM

#332798 - 10/05/14 03:19 PM

> Ok, please try with the newest svn revision.

Thanks Hap! Now I have a new project of getting svn set up and Mame compiling.

Comboman
Send PM

#332827 - 10/06/14 02:14 AM Attachment: 0001.png 64 KB (2 downloads)

Thanks to Hap, the tachs are now working in Drag Race (if you use the latest SVN build). I was able to fix a couple problems (like the left and right tach being reversed). If anyone has access to an actual machine, I would love to get some close-up photos to improve the artwork (control panel, start button, gear shift and the instructions which are missing from the reproduction bezel).

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Comboman
Send PM

#332828 - 10/06/14 02:15 AM Attachment: dragrace.zip 2428 KB (23 downloads)

Here's the updated zip.

Edited by Comboman (10/06/14 02:16 AM)

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

#332834 - 10/06/14 04:07 AM Attachment: drag_race.jpg 1091 KB (1 downloads)

> I would love to get some
> close-up photos to improve the artwork (control panel, start button, gear shift and
> the instructions which are missing from the reproduction bezel).

Best I got

Attachment

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Drag Race tachometer test new [Re: Mr. Do]
#332837 - 10/06/14 05:08 AM

Thanks. It confirms my fears that the control panel is not symmetrical. The start button on the yellow side is farther from the center than the red side start button is from the edge. Maybe the center line between the yellow and red rectangles isn't even the true center of the machine?

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#332840 - 10/06/14 05:33 AM Attachment: drag_race.jpg 67 KB (1 downloads)

> Thanks. It confirms my fears that the control panel is not symmetrical. The start
> button on the yellow side is farther from the center than the red side start button
> is from the edge. Maybe the center line between the yellow and red rectangles isn't
> even the true center of the machine?

I think it's kind of mirrored, then the controls are swapped. See my attached image to see what I mean. I think the difference in spacing of the button is because it's a smaller diameter than the tachometer. I think the centers of each item are mirrored.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by krick (10/06/14 05:35 AM)

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

blinddog
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/19/14
Loc: Washington
Send PM

#332846 - 10/06/14 09:40 AM

Here's a shot of the instructions and around the start button. The " 4 HEATS PER GAME" is a sticker on mine underneath it says "3 HEATS PER GAME". There were stickers for changing the heats and the bonus heat time I believe. If you need a larger image of the instructions it here. http://imgur.com/eC8HMXd

Edited by blinddog (10/06/14 09:41 AM)

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Drag Race tachometer test new [Re: blinddog]
#332852 - 10/06/14 02:30 PM

Thanks Blinddog, very useful.

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Drag Race tachometer test new [Re: krick]
#332866 - 10/06/14 09:12 PM Attachment: drag comp.png 4098 KB (0 downloads)

I guess that makes some sense to give each player enough room to work. It also seems that each tach is centered over the steering wheel and each start button is centered over the gear shift. It makes sense when you look at the whole panel but looks very odd when you just look at the top panel.

There also seems to be several different variants of this control panel. With and without pin-striping around the gear shift/wheel. With and without silver edging around the colored boxes. One appears to have a black cap over the carriage bolt head. There are two different tachs: one with large numbers, a black cap at the center of the needle, and white tick marks pointing outward; the other with smaller numbers, no cap, and tick marks pointing inward.

Attachment

blinddog
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/19/14
Loc: Washington
Send PM

#332871 - 10/06/14 10:19 PM

I have both control panels the one with the pin striping and without so I believe there are the two variations of that. The Tachs should be the Atari type with the center piece. The tachs on mine are not original that top image is of my game in my garage when I first got. also I painted my carriage bolt black because I thought it look better than a regular gray one, it's not capped with any thing.

Edited by blinddog (10/06/14 10:22 PM)

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#332880 - 10/07/14 04:36 AM

If you look at the center of the wheels, one has an ATARI logo, the other has a Kee Games logo. It's highly probable that older or newer games were cannibalized for parts to repair it. That could explain the differences. Also, it's possible that the one without pinstriping was peeling or damaged and someone just peeled the overlay off completely. Or if it was painted on and really worn, maybe they sanded and re-painted it black.

Edited by krick (10/07/14 04:38 AM)

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Drag Race tachometer test new [Re: blinddog]
#332889 - 10/07/14 02:03 PM

> I have both control panels the one with the pin striping and without so I believe
> there are the two variations of that. The Tachs should be the Atari type with the
> center piece. The tachs on mine are not original that top image is of my game in my
> garage when I first got. also I painted my carriage bolt black because I thought it
> look better than a regular gray one, it's not capped with any thing.

Well that reduces the variations quite a bit, thanks. I think about 50% of Drag Race photos on the internet must be of your machine. Speaking of which, would it be possible to get a straight-on photo of the gear shift in each of the four gears?

BTW, they make black oxide steel carriage bolts that would give you the black color without the gloss (unless that's what you were going for).

jcroach
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/27/04
Loc: Bloomington, Indiana
Send PM

#332890 - 10/07/14 03:09 PM

> Thanks to Hap, the tachs are now working in Drag Race (if you use the latest SVN
> build). I was able to fix a couple problems (like the left and right tach being
> reversed). If anyone has access to an actual machine, I would love to get some
> close-up photos to improve the artwork (control panel, start button, gear shift and
> the instructions which are missing from the reproduction bezel).

Now this shit is exciting! Great work!

Edited by jcroach (10/07/14 03:12 PM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 180 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3609