View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

RPOR6V
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/03/12
Send PM

Using the same MAME rom for more than one game
#332487 - 09/29/14 12:06 AM

Somebody a lot smarter than me in the artwork forum made a new background image for Atari's Video Pinball in MAME based on a flyer for a clone someone made of the game back (called Rugby) back in the day. Is there a way I can make Rugby its own playable separate game in MAME (and on my Hyperspin MAME wheel?

Edited by RPOR6V (09/29/14 12:45 AM)

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Using the same MAME rom for more than one game new [Re: RPOR6V]
#332488 - 09/29/14 12:27 AM

> Somebody a lot smarter than me in the artwork forum made a new background image for
> Atari's Video Pinball in MAME based on a flyer for a clone someone made of the game
> back (called Ruby) back in the day. Is there a way I can make Rugby its own playable
> separate game in MAME (and on my Hyperspin MAME wheel?

If there is no separate ROM for this game, then no, you can't have both video pinball with normal artwork and video pinball with Ruby/Rugby artwork listed separately in your front-end's game list.

If the artwork is the only difference between the two, *I think* someone would have to add the ability to switch artwork for Video Pinball via the MAME OSD so that you could play it with the Ruby/Rugby artwork at will.

S

RPOR6V
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Using the same MAME rom for more than one game new [Re: Sune]
#332489 - 09/29/14 12:48 AM

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it would be as easy as making a copy of the rom and renaming it "rugby" but obviously not.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#332490 - 09/29/14 01:50 AM

> Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it would be as easy as making a copy of the rom
> and renaming it "rugby" but obviously not.

Yeah that won't work. Besides MAME already supports another game named "rugby":
http://www.progettoemma.net/gioco.php?game=rugby

For now all you can do is rename the artwork.zip so that it loads for video pinball.

S

RATMNL
Patron Saint of the Totally F*cked
Reged: 02/02/13
Loc: 026, NL
Send PM

#332495 - 09/29/14 01:06 PM

which is probably the best option anyway, since it seems that besides the artwork the games are identical.

It is a bit of an oddbit situation, because as it stands, the game rugby is not in MAME's DB: it's only shown as video pinball. The existence of the video pinball game "Rugby" can never be acknowledged this way...

"Those voices in his head might not be real, but they have really good ideas!"

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

Re: Using the same MAME rom for more than one game new [Re: RATMNL]
#332514 - 09/29/14 09:45 PM

There are actually several games in this category. In some, the games are changed via DIP switch settings (example, Atari's Firetruck and Smokey Joe). In others the only difference is in artwork, cabinetry, etc (example Exidy's Circus and Taito's Acrobat TV). But as far as MAME is concerned, anything with the same ROM is only one game.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#332517 - 09/29/14 10:17 PM

> If there is no separate ROM for this game, then no, you can't have both video pinball
> with normal artwork and video pinball with Ruby/Rugby artwork listed separately in
> your front-end's game list.

Why wouldn't it work to make it a clone of Video Pinball? Does artwork only load by the parent setname? Because I'd be tempted to call that a bug.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: Using the same MAME rom for more than one game new [Re: R. Belmont]
#332520 - 09/29/14 10:39 PM

> > If there is no separate ROM for this game, then no, you can't have both video
> pinball
> > with normal artwork and video pinball with Ruby/Rugby artwork listed separately in
> > your front-end's game list.
>
> Why wouldn't it work to make it a clone of Video Pinball? Does artwork only load by
> the parent setname? Because I'd be tempted to call that a bug.

heh. I suppose if you're a MAME Dev you can do whatever you want

But can you make it a clone (as in normal MAME parent-clone relationship terms) when the ROMs are the same and the only difference is the artwork?

Wouldn't it make more sense to just make the "Rugby" artwork selectable from the OSD? Like with Space Invaders for example, which has a couple of different sets of artwork.

S

lamprey
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/01/11
Send PM

Re: Using the same MAME rom for more than one game new [Re: RATMNL]
#332521 - 09/29/14 11:40 PM

Depending on your front end it shouldn't be too hard to run Mame from two different folders pointing to the same roms and just use a different artwork path. Or , as someone mentioned, you could just use two different artwork setups in the a lay file and just pick the one you want.

RPOR6V
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Using the same MAME rom for more than one game new [Re: Comboman]
#332522 - 09/30/14 12:33 AM

Thanks for all the discussion - I didn't know if anyone would even discuss my question. I'm using Hyperspin (MAME only), and I'd like the user to be able to pick from either Video Pinball or Rugby as two separate choices on the wheel.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#332526 - 09/30/14 02:17 AM

> Thanks for all the discussion - I didn't know if anyone would even discuss my
> question. I'm using Hyperspin (MAME only), and I'd like the user to be able to pick
> from either Video Pinball or Rugby as two separate choices on the wheel.

It's possible to do what you want and at the moment, I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to accomplish what you want.

Here's the entry for videopin
http://pastebin.com/L3w0U6jS

You could create a dummy entry in the mame.xml with everything identical except a different description field.

Then assuming your on HyperLaunch 3 with access to HyperLaunchHQ, create a custom entry something like this

http://imgur.com/29Z1CuO

I'm not sure if you can specify a different artwork path on the command line, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

If that happens to fail then the other option would be to have 2 MAME selections on your wheel. Setup a MAME2 (which would be the same process as adding another system) and use a different MAME path the contains the different artwork.

You can use a different defaulted MAME theme to get distinction between both of them.

From there your MAME2 could just have the 1 game on the wheel or you could compose a favorites listing and play around with it

Best of Luck!

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Using the same MAME rom for more than one game new [Re: B2K24]
#332527 - 09/30/14 02:22 AM

> I'm not sure if you can specify a different artwork path on the command line, but I
> don't see why it wouldn't work.

it's still -artpath on the command line isn't it?

RPOR6V
MAME Fan
Send PM

#332534 - 09/30/14 03:23 AM

> > Thanks for all the discussion - I didn't know if anyone would even discuss my
> > question. I'm using Hyperspin (MAME only), and I'd like the user to be able to pick
> > from either Video Pinball or Rugby as two separate choices on the wheel.
>
> It's possible to do what you want and at the moment, I'm trying to figure out the
> easiest way to accomplish what you want.
>
> Here's the entry for videopin
> http://pastebin.com/L3w0U6jS
>
> You could create a dummy entry in the mame.xml with everything identical except a
> different description field.
>
> Then assuming your on HyperLaunch 3 with access to HyperLaunchHQ, create a custom
> entry something like this
>
> http://imgur.com/29Z1CuO
>
> I'm not sure if you can specify a different artwork path on the command line, but I
> don't see why it wouldn't work.
>
> If that happens to fail then the other option would be to have 2 MAME selections on
> your wheel. Setup a MAME2 (which would be the same process as adding another system)
> and use a different MAME path the contains the different artwork.
>
> You can use a different defaulted MAME theme to get distinction between both of them.
>
> From there your MAME2 could just have the 1 game on the wheel or you could compose a
> favorites listing and play around with it
>
> Best of Luck!

Thanks, I feel like I'm getting closer. I set up another MAME folder (MAME2) but now my problem is I want both Video Pinball and Rugby to be visible in the same "favorites" wheel but obviously both roms have the same name if you will. Maybe this is turning out to be a Hyperspin-specific question.

B2K24
Send PM

Re: Using the same MAME rom for more than one game new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#332537 - 09/30/14 03:41 AM

> it's still -artpath on the command line isn't it?

Yeah, that works. Was able to confirm it just now.

B2K24
Send PM

#332538 - 09/30/14 03:51 AM

> Thanks, I feel like I'm getting closer. I set up another MAME folder (MAME2) but now
> my problem is I want both Video Pinball and Rugby to be visible in the same
> "favorites" wheel but obviously both roms have the same name if you will. Maybe this
> is turning out to be a Hyperspin-specific question.

Unfortunately, what you add to favorites are only specific to that wheel. The rom naming has nothing to do with that.

It would be a neat feature if you could compose a mixed list of favorites that involved different systems, but it's not currently possible.

B2K24
Send PM

#332554 - 09/30/14 06:28 AM

> Wouldn't it make more sense to just make the "Rugby" artwork selectable from the OSD?
> Like with Space Invaders for example, which has a couple of different sets of
> artwork.

That's the easiest solution to the OP problem if you can modify the .lay to make it all work

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#332556 - 09/30/14 07:18 AM

If it's a clone, then it should be so in MAME. If it's a homebrew, then it should be in HBE.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Using the same MAME rom for more than one game new [Re: Traso]
#332562 - 09/30/14 02:26 PM

> If it's a clone, then it should be so in MAME. If it's a homebrew, then it should be
> in HBE.

It could be neither. Some games are released with different artwork (and names).

MrGoodwraith
Barnacle Clinging to the Ship of MAME
Reged: 10/12/05
Send PM

Re: Using the same MAME rom for more than one game new [Re: ]
#332580 - 09/30/14 09:38 PM

"Rugby" is a very strange case. It does indeed seem to be a commercial game. My guess is that some bootlegging firm somehow got hold of a few dozen "Video Pinball" boards that "fell off the truck" and decided that instead of creating an externally obvious bootleg, they would throw the boards into cabs with custom-designed bezels and other artwork that would interact in some kinda-sorta-not-completely-insane way with the video displayed by the PCB but had an *American football* (not rugby) theme. I can't imagine that they made money on this sort of Frankenstein maneuver, but I suppose anything's possible.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#332581 - 09/30/14 10:11 PM

> > Wouldn't it make more sense to just make the "Rugby" artwork selectable from the
> OSD?
> > Like with Space Invaders for example, which has a couple of different sets of
> > artwork.
>
> That's the easiest solution to the OP problem if you can modify the .lay to make it
> all work

Yeah, that's probably the way to go.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#332638 - 10/02/14 05:30 AM

> It could be neither. Some games are released with different artwork (and names).

Burger Time is like that, and it's two sets.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Using the same MAME rom for more than one game new [Re: Traso]
#332729 - 10/03/14 08:01 PM

> > It could be neither. Some games are released with different artwork (and names).
>
>
> Burger Time is like that, and it's two sets.

which sets?

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#332775 - 10/05/14 01:02 AM Attachment: btime 1&2.png 71 KB (1 downloads)

> > > It could be neither. Some games are released with different artwork (and names).
> >
> >
> > Burger Time is like that, and it's two sets.
>
> which sets?

Just different marquees, but still. 1 and 2 (btime, btime2), respectively.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 253 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3274