MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

So many great bezels waiting to be cleaned
#332327 - 09/26/14 05:24 AM

There are over 50 bezels on the artwork FTP site that have been collected between 2009-2013 just waiting for you guys to go at them.
Why choose to create a bezel that never existed while we have so many that need your help.
For example:
Cosmic Avenger is complicated but very clean and a must for colecovision fans.
Barrier is clean, fairly simple and has clouds which the current low rez artwork lacks.
Star Cruiser: Very cool bezel that adds a great deal to an otherwise dull game.
Tempest Cocktail: Fairly clean and a special request for MrDo!
Fire One: Cool split screen bezel adds a lot to this insanely rare game.

You all are doing such great work on these "what if" titles.
I hope that you will take another look at the real bezels waiting for a chance to shine in Mame and get a much overdue update to MrDo's web page.

TrevEB

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: So many great bezels waiting to be cleaned new [Re: TrevEB]
#332329 - 09/26/14 05:52 AM Attachment: pong.png 50 KB (0 downloads)

> There are over 50 bezels on the artwork FTP site that have been collected between
> 2009-2013 just waiting for you guys to go at them.
> Why choose to create a bezel that never existed while we have so many that need your
> help.
> For example:
> Cosmic Avenger is complicated but very clean and a must for colecovision fans.
> Barrier is clean, fairly simple and has clouds which the current low rez artwork
> lacks.
> Star Cruiser: Very cool bezel that adds a great deal to an otherwise dull game.
> Tempest Cocktail: Fairly clean and a special request for MrDo!
> Fire One: Cool split screen bezel adds a lot to this insanely rare game.
>
> You all are doing such great work on these "what if" titles.
> I hope that you will take another look at the real bezels waiting for a chance to
> shine in Mame and get a much overdue update to MrDo's web page.
>
> TrevEB

Don't forget the Pong red bezel that I made. Need the real one in snapshot HD or what ever you guys call it. This just a temporary bezel that I done. Can be found here. What I did is redone over that cabinet image. http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1 I didn't do the other half because of the controls will be blurry. Anyway it need some shadows for touch up. You can add the shadows if you want. Even redo it.

Here what it look like on the SDLMAME.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Robbbert
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#332343 - 09/26/14 02:37 PM

lamprey
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/01/11
Send PM

#332346 - 09/26/14 05:45 PM

Probably because it takes a couple of hours to make something up or tens of hours to clean up a scan. Where as it would take me weeks/months (probably many months with my current schedule) to do a complete vectorization of a bezel. You are welcome to jump on it though!

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: So many great bezels waiting to be cleaned new [Re: lamprey]
#332347 - 09/26/14 05:49 PM

> You are welcome to jump
> on it though!

FYI... Trevor is the guy responsible for already putting in hundreds of hours and dollars to getting those items scanned in the first place.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: So many great bezels waiting to be cleaned new [Re: Mr. Do]
#332349 - 09/26/14 06:22 PM Attachment: Like_1_Facebook.jpg 23 KB (0 downloads)

> > You are welcome to jump
> > on it though!
>
> FYI... Trevor is the guy responsible for already putting in hundreds of hours and
> dollars to getting those items scanned in the first place.

I leave this to the pro. He is doing a good job. Where is the like button to click on?

Anyone else help out then good job as well.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

#332352 - 09/26/14 07:30 PM Attachment: rightside-comp.jpg 1918 KB (1 downloads)

Wow, I haven't seen this much activity on a thread in a while. As long as everyone's here and on the topic of cleaning, I have a question. How far do we go with the cleaning? I'm currently stitching and cleaning the inner bezels for Blue Shark and it's in poor condition (folds, rips, uneven fading, water marks, staple holes, rust stains... you name it, it's got it). At some point it becomes less of a restoration and more of a re-creation. I'm not sure if I have gone far enough, or if I've already gone too far.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

#332369 - 09/27/14 02:56 AM

I need to get my ass in gear again. I lose interest when everything is dead around here. I'm gonna pick something and got at it soon. I'm going to look at the ones you mentioned. Thanks for all you've contributed. Do you have any Photoshop skills.......just kidding.

TrevEB
Send PM

Re: So many great bezels waiting to be cleaned new [Re: Antny]
#332377 - 09/27/14 06:22 AM

I do have photoshop skills but those skills are sad compared to the groups abilities. MrDo holds the keys to the FTP site for anyone who would like to take a look at what we have. The collection is very diverse with easy and hard titles. Many of the bezels come from very rare titles and some are from Early black and white games where some colorful art really makes a difference. We also have the 3 sisters (starship 1, destroyer, sky raider) which have several pieces of art. These titles would be throughly transformed with these added parts.
We are a small group but the work is appreciated by many both in the mame community and by the owners of these machines.
At CAX I always introduce people to the wider capabilities of mame, showing of the artwork and working lighting effects always to amazement and greater appreciation for what mame is preserving.

TrevEB

TrevEB
Send PM

Re: So many great bezels waiting to be cleaned new [Re: Comboman]
#332378 - 09/27/14 06:35 AM

> Wow, I haven't seen this much activity on a thread in a while. As long as everyone's
> here and on the topic of cleaning, I have a question. How far do we go with the
> cleaning? I'm currently stitching and cleaning the inner bezels for Blue Shark and
> it's in poor condition (folds, rips, uneven fading, water marks, staple holes, rust
> stains... you name it, it's got it). At some point it becomes less of a restoration
> and more of a re-creation. I'm not sure if I have gone far enough, or if I've already
> gone too far.

Looks great to me. I think the desire is try to get it as close to new as possible. If a better example should come along the art could always be touched up later. With so much damage, one has to take some artistic license.

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

#332390 - 09/27/14 03:32 PM

Another question: On the Most Wanted/WIP list, some games have "in the works" with someone's name beside it. I assumed this meant someone was currently working on that artwork so I avoided those games. I don't want to step on anyone's toes (and I really don't want to duplicate effort) but based on your comments, maybe "in the works" doesn't mean what I thought?

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

#332460 - 09/28/14 12:49 PM

I looked over everything that's there, and most of it is well beyond my skill level. Basically, if it has ANY "illustrated" areas or gradiant fills, it's out of my ballpark. I'm good with geometric things, but that's about it. I offered some time ago to take a crack at the Sky Soldiers bezel, but the scan has still never been posted. Given the response to my Crash bezel, I doubt anyone would be satisfied with the results I'd get anyway. Also, I have a medical inability to focus on anything for long periods of time, so anything that takes more than a couple of days to do is beyond me.

Another thing giving me pause is a recent incident. I know that my contributions to this project are not significant and probably wouldn't be missed if they didn't exist. But I recently saw one of my own vector projects (I know it was mine because it had my own customizations and didn't exist before I created it) posted for sale on another artist's site; when I approached this artist for one of HIS files, I was flatly told that he only gives artwork in trade or for sale, so apparently my prior contribution didn't count. I'm certainly not in this for monetary gain, but I'm trying to decide if I want to do any more hard work with no give-and-take on the part of some people.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Ramirez
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/10
Loc: Brasil
Send PM

Re: So many great bezels waiting to be cleaned new [Re: Nightvoice]
#332473 - 09/28/14 09:17 PM

>
> Another thing giving me pause is a recent incident. I know that my contributions to
> this project are not significant and probably wouldn't be missed if they didn't
> exist. But I recently saw one of my own vector projects (I know it was mine because
> it had my own customizations and didn't exist before I created it) posted for sale on
> another artist's site; when I approached this artist for one of HIS files, I was
> flatly told that he only gives artwork in trade or for sale, so apparently my prior
> contribution didn't count. I'm certainly not in this for monetary gain, but I'm
> trying to decide if I want to do any more hard work with no give-and-take on the part
> of some people.

It's almost funny how easy it is for some people to take ownership from others people work. Very sad.

jibmums
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/24/09
Send PM

#332491 - 09/29/14 04:40 AM

> Another thing giving me pause is a recent incident. I know that my contributions to
> this project are not significant and probably wouldn't be missed if they didn't
> exist. But I recently saw one of my own vector projects (I know it was mine because
> it had my own customizations and didn't exist before I created it) posted for sale on
> another artist's site; when I approached this artist for one of HIS files, I was
> flatly told that he only gives artwork in trade or for sale, so apparently my prior
> contribution didn't count. I'm certainly not in this for monetary gain, but I'm
> trying to decide if I want to do any more hard work with no give-and-take on the part
> of some people.

Sounds like.....Mikonos/Zona Arcade?

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

#332492 - 09/29/14 08:37 AM

> of some people.

PM me details if you can.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

Re: So many great bezels waiting to be cleaned new [Re: jibmums]
#332494 - 09/29/14 09:45 AM

Jibmums! Any new cabinets in the works?

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Re: So many great bezels waiting to be cleaned new [Re: jibmums]
#332498 - 09/29/14 01:46 PM

> > Another thing giving me pause is a recent incident. I know that my contributions to
> > this project are not significant and probably wouldn't be missed if they didn't
> > exist. But I recently saw one of my own vector projects (I know it was mine because
> > it had my own customizations and didn't exist before I created it) posted for sale
> on
> > another artist's site; when I approached this artist for one of HIS files, I was
> > flatly told that he only gives artwork in trade or for sale, so apparently my prior
> > contribution didn't count. I'm certainly not in this for monetary gain, but I'm
> > trying to decide if I want to do any more hard work with no give-and-take on the
> part
> > of some people.
>
> Sounds like.....Mikonos/Zona Arcade?

YEP, I thought exactly the same thing here!! Banned from KLOV forums for good a couple months ago and still damaging the community around the world.

jibmums
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/24/09
Send PM

#332501 - 09/29/14 02:39 PM

Hi NV. I have so much stuff in the works I could choke on it, but since last year I've been working on pinball machines (real ones) so the 3dArk stuff is taking a back seat. Haven't abandoned it though, I'm always on the lookout for scans/photos needed to complete unfinished models, and recently came across a cp and a sideart that I really needed for the Gremlin project. The coming cold weather will be a perfect reason to stay inside and finish up a few cabs.

When I get a chance I also plan to measure my Data East Simpsons and Williams Earthshaker pins and make accurate models of them, which will cover some pretty cool looking skins.

So, was it Mikonos? KLOV wasn't the only board he's been kicked off for the crap he pulls, there are one or two others.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 155 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3260