View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

Are these real dedicated cabinets?
#332153 - 09/22/14 08:00 AM Attachment: pacuman.png 562 KB (0 downloads)

I pointed out that weird (most likely) dedicated The Simpsons cabinet a few weeks ago... well, here are a couple others that I found intriguing. You think they are official dedicated cabinets?

Puckman

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: Are these real dedicated cabinets? new [Re: Big Karnak]
#332154 - 09/22/14 08:00 AM Attachment: phoenixc.png 119 KB (2 downloads)

Phoenix

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

casm
Cinematronics > *
Reged: 08/27/07
Send PM

#332156 - 09/22/14 08:35 AM

> I pointed out that weird (most likely) dedicated The Simpsons cabinet a few weeks
> ago... well, here are a couple others that I found intriguing. You think they are
> official dedicated cabinets?

There's a strong chance that they are official - wall-mounted cabinets were very common in some countries. I seem to recall seeing quite a few of them in Germany, for example.

The US was in some ways unusual in that much (if not the majority) of the cabinet manufacturing was handled directly by the game manufacturers. In other countries, it wasn't uncommon for this to be contracted out to third parties, often with some connection to the larger distributors. Essentially, game manufacturers would supply the boards, another company would make the cabinets, and either the distributors themselves or another company would combine the two into a functional game.

This was usually done to keep costs down: importing a complete game from another country could have made it unsaleable once the costs of local import duties, etc. were factored in - but bringing in the individual components and having the woodworking and assembly done locally was a way to keep prices reasonable.

Of course, it also meant that the local cabinet manufacturer may not be building a cabinet that exactly matched the ones being made by the game manufacturer in another territory. Zaccaria's games are a good example of this.

GatKong
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

#332163 - 09/22/14 04:17 PM

My God that would suck playing that cab... horizontally mounted joystick and all.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Are these real dedicated cabinets? new [Re: GatKong]
#332181 - 09/23/14 01:04 AM

> My God that would suck playing that cab... horizontally mounted joystick and all.

Not for a two-way. Just hold the stick between index and middle finger, with the thumb over the index. Four-way might not be harder the same way.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: Are these real dedicated cabinets? new [Re: Traso]
#332195 - 09/23/14 05:14 AM Attachment: north-korean-arcade-photos-7.jpg 950 KB (0 downloads)

How about these North Korea gems?... LMAO

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

#332197 - 09/23/14 05:15 AM Attachment: north-korean-arcade-photos-4.jpg 876 KB (0 downloads)

But for real, I wonder how much a cabinet like this one would go for on the market? (If someone, somehow, was able to smuggle it out of that country. If it's one of the few arcade machines that country has, it may be looked upon as a crime by their government, falling under the law "acts hostile to the country." I bet there would be a few arcade collectors that would like to get their hands on an ultra rare cabinet like this one.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

casm
Cinematronics > *
Reged: 08/27/07
Send PM

#332199 - 09/23/14 06:51 AM

> But for real, I wonder how much a cabinet like this one would go for on the market?

*shrug* hard to say. There's no real precedent for a NORK arcade cabinet turning up on eBay or similar, so it's probably worth whatever the market is willing to pay. That said, see following comments for more on that:

> (If someone, somehow, was able to smuggle it out of that country. If it's one of the
> few arcade machines that country has, it may be looked upon as a crime by their
> government, falling under the law "acts hostile to the country." I bet there would be
> a few arcade collectors that would like to get their hands on an ultra rare cabinet
> like this one.

Except that looking at the periscope mechanism and kick panel art on the submarine game as well as the sideart on the cowboy game, they look to be re-marqueed Japanese, American, or European cabinets. In fact, IIRC, the same site that has those photos also has photos of candy cabs that have received the same treatment.

Thinking about it, it's not totally dissimilar to the ex-East German subway trains and knockoff Mecedes-Benzes in use there.

Back to how it relates to the value of a NORK cabinet coming up for sale anywhere else in the world, though... Personally, I wouldn't pay very much for one, given that they look to be butchered games in poor-to-moderate (at best) shape. Sure, they'd have significance for being ex-DPRK, but so is Vinalon, and Vinalon is awful.

The ex-Soviet games are interesting because they adapted the (more-or-less) ZX Spectrum out to arcade usage, Poly-Play is notable for being indigenously East German, and Cuba cranks out good cigars. But there's just not much coming out of the DPRK that's worth much beyond being a curiosity, which is what these games are.

Hell, I could probably have a couple of Korean-speaking friends help me fake a marquee, stick it on a beat-to-crap cabinet with a semi-functional game in it, and have a 'genuine' North Korean relic on eBay inside of half of an afternoon.

Edited by casm (09/23/14 07:12 AM)

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

#332211 - 09/23/14 02:05 PM

I love these cute little mini cabs from South Korea. Even the kids need to sit down to play them.

YoungSon
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/02/07
Send PM

Re: Are these real dedicated cabinets? new [Re: Comboman]
#332212 - 09/23/14 03:32 PM

Those are just the coolest cabinets ever.

I've got to have one of those, full size cabs are just too big for the average house

Thanks for posting that!

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Are these real dedicated cabinets? new [Re: Traso]
#332236 - 09/24/14 05:28 AM

> Not for a two-way. Just hold the stick between index and middle finger, with the
> thumb over the index. Four-way might not be harder the same way.

There were some cocktails (I want to say Nintendo?) that had control panels mounted vertically like this. You pretty much had to do as you say, hold the stick between your fingers and rap the buttons with your knuckles. They were usable, but pretty freaking awkward.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: Are these real dedicated cabinets? new [Re: DMala]
#332240 - 09/24/14 06:14 AM

Anyone else know of any other intriguing, questionable official dedicated arcade cabinets? And remember...

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

#332242 - 09/24/14 06:30 AM Attachment: alien.jpg 24 KB (0 downloads)

I've been to countless arcades in America when I was young, and I had never seen an official dedicated wall-mounted cabinet. So I find them intriguing. It seems like there weren't many arcade games that came available in official dedicated wall-mounted cabinets.

Here's a Cosmic Alien:

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Are these real dedicated cabinets? new [Re: DMala]
#332275 - 09/25/14 04:32 AM

Here's an old cocktail cab I just stumbled upon.

http://dayton.craigslist.org/vgm/4667533826.html

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 318 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3566