View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

bigbluefe
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/18/14
Send PM

Raiden II
#331309 - 09/06/14 03:32 AM

Kind of surprised nobody's talking about this. I'm floored.

Incredible work by Kale and OG. Thank you very much for all that you do!

http://i.imgur.com/Xnw4oeu.jpg

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Raiden II new [Re: bigbluefe]
#331311 - 09/06/14 04:34 AM

> Kind of surprised nobody's talking about this. I'm floored.
>
> Incredible work by Kale and OG. Thank you very much for all that you do!
>
> http://i.imgur.com/Xnw4oeu.jpg

I saw that driver keep on updating.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

mike20599
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/14/08
Send PM

#331314 - 09/06/14 06:02 AM

>
> Incredible work by Kale and OG. Thank you very much for all that you do!
>
> http://i.imgur.com/Xnw4oeu.jpg

Is there an article to go with the pic?

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

#331315 - 09/06/14 06:21 AM

the typical pattern is that someone starts commenting about it, and then a dozen or so of annoying requests for further progresses and news arrive and devs get bothered to the point to stop working on this...

apparently most people here has learned not to annoy devs when raiden 2 is involved

when 0.155 will be out there will be plenty of time to comment and enjoy the good news

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: Raiden II new [Re: mike20599]
#331316 - 09/06/14 06:34 AM

> > Kind of surprised nobody's talking about this. I'm floored.
> >
> > Incredible work by Kale and OG. Thank you very much for all that you do!
> >
> > http://i.imgur.com/Xnw4oeu.jpg
>
> Is there an article to go with the pic?

Showing what been work on here. http://mame.dorando.at/svn/

The game isn't stable yet. There are some flickering going on after the jet left out of the trees and turning itself aiming north. It still need to be redump to get the missing ROM's. Probably the missing ones will make it work better. Don't get down when the Dev stop working on it. Later it will get pick back up again soon as the missing ROM's get dump.

Code:

K:\UME>mame64 raiden2
jj4b02__ami18cv8-15.u0342.jed NOT FOUND (NO GOOD DUMP KNOWN) (tried in raiden2 r
aiden2)
jj4b01__mmipal16l8bcn.u0341.jed NOT FOUND (NO GOOD DUMP KNOWN) (tried in raiden2
raiden2)
WARNING: the game might not run correctly.
Average speed: 100.00% (3 seconds)

K:\UME>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Raiden II new [Re: etabeta]
#331338 - 09/06/14 06:51 PM

>
> the typical pattern is that someone starts commenting about it, and then a dozen or
> so of annoying requests for further progresses and news arrive and devs get bothered
> to the point to stop working on this...
>
> apparently most people here has learned not to annoy devs when raiden 2 is involved
>
> when 0.155 will be out there will be plenty of time to comment and enjoy the good
> news

I suppose most of the rom kiddies have grown up and gotten jobs, so they're too busy working now to care about Raiden 2.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: Raiden II new [Re: Master O]
#331340 - 09/06/14 08:21 PM

> I suppose most of the rom kiddies have grown up and gotten jobs, so they're too busy
> working now to care about Raiden 2.

I disagree.
The main reason why they are pretty quiet about Raiden 2 is a fact that old PC version of the game is fully playable even on todays PC's.
Mine is i7 64 bit & I can play Raiden 2 on my machine !
Nevertheless, this "news" brings great excitement in our shooter-lovers community - I can't wait for playable Raiden 2 in MAME. (Also I believe that Zero Team USA will be playable, too)

bigbluefe
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/18/14
Send PM

Re: Raiden II new [Re: CTOJAH]
#331347 - 09/06/14 11:03 PM

Yup, Zero Team is playable now.

In celebration of this, I made a widescreen bezel for it if you play on a 16:9 screen.
https://sites.google.com/site/bigbluefrontend/zeroteam.zip

You can see it in action here:

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#331348 - 09/06/14 11:18 PM

What a wonderful surprise

edcosta
15khz user
Reged: 05/25/07
Send PM

THANKS KALE, OG and ALL MAME DEVS!!! -nt- new [Re: bigbluefe]
#331407 - 09/07/14 11:54 PM

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

Re: THANKS KALE, OG and ALL MAME DEVS!!! -nt- new [Re: edcosta]
#331429 - 09/08/14 06:57 AM

So will the Raiden II status officially change from NOT WORKING to WORKING in the next MAME release? I look forward to playing this game from start to finish. I've never played it before but I've heard word on the street is that it's one of the most liked shmups.

I tried playing Zero Team USA. The hit detection is absolutely awful. Not even worth playing. I'm assuming that's not how the game really is, right? The jump kicks detect fine, same with special moves and object throwing. But when you just do normal punches, more often than not, you'll miss the enemy even when standing right in front of them.

Roman
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

#331432 - 09/08/14 09:24 AM

yeah...fantastic work! Congrats...

What I'd like to see is an overview, a description about what was encryted in which way...what operations are known...which are still unknown.....like Andrea's CPSII/III blogs.... that would be awesome...

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: THANKS KALE, OG and ALL MAME DEVS!!! new [Re: Big Karnak]
#331436 - 09/08/14 11:12 AM

> So will the Raiden II status officially change from NOT WORKING to WORKING in the
> next MAME release? I look forward to playing this game from start to finish. I've
> never played it before but I've heard word on the street is that it's one of the most
> liked shmups.

I'm not entirely sure everything will be guaranteed to be thought 100% working. Think of it like a 10000 piece puzzle where like 9800 of the pieces are pure blue sky with no variation with the remainder of them making up a few big puffy clouds. If anything, it may still be flagged for video problems even if seemingly fine.

> I tried playing Zero Team USA. The hit detection is absolutely awful. Not even worth
> playing. I'm assuming that's not how the game really is, right? The jump kicks detect
> fine, same with special moves and object throwing. But when you just do normal
> punches, more often than not, you'll miss the enemy even when standing right in front
> of them.

But, yeah, to critique the state at this time is pointless. Just enjoy what you can do for now. Repeating known issues is a recipe for annoyance.

Edited by Tafoid (09/08/14 11:12 AM)

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

Re: Raiden II new [Re: Dullaron]
#331440 - 09/08/14 12:32 PM

> > > Kind of surprised nobody's talking about this. I'm floored.
> > >
> > > Incredible work by Kale and OG. Thank you very much for all that you do!
> > >
> > > http://i.imgur.com/Xnw4oeu.jpg
> >
> > Is there an article to go with the pic?
>
> Showing what been work on here. http://mame.dorando.at/svn/
>
> The game isn't stable yet. There are some flickering going on after the jet left out
> of the trees and turning itself aiming north. It still need to be redump to get the
> missing ROM's. Probably the missing ones will make it work better. Don't get down
> when the Dev stop working on it. Later it will get pick back up again soon as the
> missing ROM's get dump.
>
>
> K:\UME>mame64 raiden2
> jj4b02__ami18cv8-15.u0342.jed NOT FOUND (NO GOOD DUMP KNOWN) (tried in raiden2 r
> aiden2)
> jj4b01__mmipal16l8bcn.u0341.jed NOT FOUND (NO GOOD DUMP KNOWN) (tried in raiden2
> raiden2)
> WARNING: the game might not run correctly.
> Average speed: 100.00% (3 seconds)
>
> K:\UME>pause
> Press any key to continue . . .

Those are PALs, they have to do with address decoding or interfacing, and they are not necessary to be dumped for the game to be playable. (They are necessary only to repair broken PCBs)

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Send PM

Re: THANKS KALE, OG and ALL MAME DEVS!!! -nt- new [Re: Big Karnak]
#331497 - 09/09/14 06:10 AM

> So will the Raiden II status officially change from NOT WORKING to WORKING in the
> next MAME release? I look forward to playing this game from start to finish. I've
> never played it before but I've heard word on the street is that it's one of the most
> liked shmups.

Well, you heard wrong. The Gradius series is the most liked.

In all seriousness, though, the Raiden shooters are definitely one of the most liked shmup series.

Edited by Master O (09/09/14 06:57 AM)

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: Raiden II new [Re: Lord Nightmare]
#331502 - 09/09/14 07:43 AM

> Those are PALs, they have to do with address decoding or interfacing, and they are
> not necessary to be dumped for the game to be playable. (They are necessary only to
> repair broken PCBs)
>
> LN

Oh OK.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: THANKS KALE, OG and ALL MAME DEVS!!! -nt- new [Re: Big Karnak]
#331525 - 09/09/14 04:51 PM

> next MAME release?

It's likely to be marked working with a very serious IMPERFECT_GRAPHICS (we know there's lots of glitches, trying to flood MAMETesters with reports will end poorly for you). Other Seibu games, including Zero Team, are not expected to be marked working at this time.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Raiden II new [Re: Roman]
#331527 - 09/09/14 05:02 PM

> yeah...fantastic work! Congrats...
>
> What I'd like to see is an overview, a description about what was encryted in which
> way...what operations are known...which are still unknown.....like Andrea's CPSII/III
> blogs.... that would be awesome...

Seibu decided to make the predecessor to bullet hell shmups but their pitiful V30 CPU couldn't handle it, so they made a chip to do all the trig calculations and hitbox detection and sprite list DMA. It also obfuscates the rest of the hardware registers for fun. (Contrast with the rest of the game manufacturing world, who simply dropped in fast 68000s or in the case of Gradius III 2 of them).

As I understand it the missing bullet sprites we had for the last year or so was essentially a typo in the previous attempts to fix the game rather than a protection function that had eluded people. It often helps to get away from code you're stuck on and come back having forgotten your assumptions.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Raiden II new [Re: CTOJAH]
#331528 - 09/09/14 05:03 PM

> > I suppose most of the rom kiddies have grown up and gotten jobs, so they're too
> busy
> > working now to care about Raiden 2.
>
> I disagree.
> The main reason why they are pretty quiet about Raiden 2 is a fact that old PC
> version of the game is fully playable even on todays PC's.

The very good PSX Raiden Project plays great in MESS, as well.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Send PM

Re: Raiden II new [Re: R. Belmont]
#331532 - 09/09/14 06:46 PM

> > yeah...fantastic work! Congrats...
> >
> > What I'd like to see is an overview, a description about what was encryted in which
> > way...what operations are known...which are still unknown.....like Andrea's
> CPSII/III
> > blogs.... that would be awesome...
>
> Seibu decided to make the predecessor to bullet hell shmups but their pitiful V30 CPU
> couldn't handle it, so they made a chip to do all the trig calculations and hitbox
> detection and sprite list DMA. It also obfuscates the rest of the hardware registers
> for fun. (Contrast with the rest of the game manufacturing world, who simply dropped
> in fast 68000s or in the case of Gradius III 2 of them).
>
> As I understand it the missing bullet sprites we had for the last year or so was
> essentially a typo in the previous attempts to fix the game rather than a protection
> function that had eluded people. It often helps to get away from code you're stuck on
> and come back having forgotten your assumptions.

Does the COP protection also apply to the Legionnaire driver, too?

I hear those games are also well protected as Raiden 2 was.

Can any of mamedev elaborate on that issue for me?

"Note to Noobs:

C.D.~"

Olivier Galibert
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: Raiden II new [Re: R. Belmont]
#331534 - 09/09/14 07:27 PM

> > > I suppose most of the rom kiddies have grown up and gotten jobs, so they're too
> > busy
> > > working now to care about Raiden 2.
> >
> > I disagree.
> > The main reason why they are pretty quiet about Raiden 2 is a fact that old PC
> > version of the game is fully playable even on todays PC's.
>
> The very good PSX Raiden Project plays great in MESS, as well.

Does it do blending or meshing there?

OG.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Raiden II new [Re: Olivier Galibert]
#331536 - 09/09/14 08:13 PM

> Does it do blending or meshing there?

Real blending. It's PSX

Rockman
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/23/12
Send PM

Re: Raiden II new [Re: etabeta]
#331539 - 09/09/14 11:43 PM

>
> the typical pattern is that someone starts commenting about it, and then a dozen or
> so of annoying requests for further progresses and news arrive and devs get bothered
> to the point to stop working on this...
>
> apparently most people here has learned not to annoy devs when raiden 2 is involved
>
> when 0.155 will be out there will be plenty of time to comment and enjoy the good
> news

Amen! :-)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Raiden II new [Re: Master O]
#331543 - 09/10/14 01:00 AM

> Does the COP protection also apply to the Legionnaire driver, too?

The COP isn't really protection at all: it's an offload processor to reduce the work the CPU has to do.

Olivier Galibert
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: Raiden II new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#331558 - 09/10/14 10:11 AM

> > Does the COP protection also apply to the Legionnaire driver, too?
>
> The COP isn't really protection at all: it's an offload processor to reduce the work
> the CPU has to do.

It's *also* protection, for some of the simplest things they do V25 code would be shorter than calling the cop.

OG.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 197 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 8070