Pages: 1

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Vacation in Hong Kong
#330775 - 08/28/14 02:16 AM

Going to Hong Kong in 2 weeks and was just curious if there are any cool places to check out arcade games. I know it's not Japan but just wondering.

Thanks

Edit: I guess Google is your friend.

http://www.timeout.com.hk/around-town/features/59032/hks-best-arcades.html

Edited by joey35car (08/28/14 02:30 AM)

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Vacation in Hong Kong new [Re: joey35car]
#330776 - 08/28/14 02:27 AM

That's really awesome and I hope you have a great time there

Remember the pics and HD videos if you stumble into any Arcades on your trip

Enjoy!

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Vacation in Hong Kong new [Re: B2K24]
#330778 - 08/28/14 02:36 AM

OK I never heard of this game before.

Let's Go Jungle Lost On The Island Of Spice

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#330783 - 08/28/14 03:45 AM

They actually have that one at a Chuck E Cheese's about 10 minutes from my house.

I'd rather be playing Sega Racing classic or H2Overdrive though

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#330787 - 08/28/14 04:35 AM

There are lots of small arcades scattered around HK, but most of them only have mahjong and gambling games. Lots of stuff that isn't in MAME though, especially Cantonese-style mahjongs. Usually poorly ventilated and very smoky, with unsavoury types hanging around.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Vacation in Hong Kong new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#330788 - 08/28/14 05:02 AM

> There are lots of small arcades scattered around HK, but most of them only have
> mahjong and gambling games. Lots of stuff that isn't in MAME though, especially
> Cantonese-style mahjongs. Usually poorly ventilated and very smoky, with unsavoury
> types hanging around.

Yes, absolutely !! Vas is spot on.

There's tons of little basement arcades around HK - maybe 10-20 machines maximum in each. They are often poorly ventilated and smokey, and very hot, but they are great places, and full of games. And they all seem to have the volume of every machine turned up to maximum. You can be walking down a quiet side street and you will hear a cacophony of loud arcade sounds long before you see a sign or entrance. Keep your ears open.

There are much bigger arcades as well, at the usual places. But, without the smoke, heat, noise, and the constant worry of the "how am I gonna get out if there's a fire" danger, they just don't seem as fun as the basement arcades though. Always best to take note of where the exit is before every game !

Note: all of my comments above are going by how it was when I was last there - about 10 years ago. It might have changed now .... but I hope not.

Have fun.

Moose

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: Vacation in Hong Kong new [Re: Moose]
#330790 - 08/28/14 05:27 AM

> Note: all of my comments above are going by how it was when I was last there - about
> 10 years ago. It might have changed now .... but I hope not.

Nah, still about the same except that there's less variety in games. You still see the occasional VS fighter, but the vast majority are mahjong, gambling, and gambling mahjong games.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

#330792 - 08/28/14 05:35 AM

That's what I figured. Just thought I'd ask since I will be there. No problem have one of the best arcade's right here by my home town called galloping ghost.

http://gallopingghostarcade.com/

Thanks for all the replys.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#330793 - 08/28/14 05:42 AM

> That's what I figured. Just thought I'd ask since I will be there. No problem have
> one of the best arcade's right here by my home town called galloping ghost.

Galloping Ghost is for hipsters. The HK arcades are more authentic than that poser shit.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

#330794 - 08/28/14 05:55 AM

Well I guess I'm old school born in 69. I prefer the classic games.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#330805 - 08/28/14 11:39 AM

> Well I guess I'm old school born in 69. I prefer the classic games.

Face it, an arcade that charges for entry and has machines on freeplay has a completely different dynamic. It cheapens the experience and people with no skill tend to hog machines until they get bored. Even if they priced games at 5c/credit it would give a more authentic experience by requiring you to pay to play, the way arcades are supposed to be experienced.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#330833 - 08/29/14 03:57 AM

> Face it, an arcade that charges for entry and has machines on freeplay has a completely different dynamic. It cheapens the experience and people with no skill tend to hog machines until they get bored. Even if they priced games at 5c/credit it would give a more authentic experience by requiring you to pay to play, the way arcades are supposed to be experienced.

Noo. Just how they were oftenly experienced. There were plenty of places that did fee/free play - round here at least one was Golfland, the only day I was there, round '83 - and it was a little better, because you didn't have to make every fucking quarter count. Should I even play that game?...this game?....I don't know.........

Fuck all that. I ain't poor now and I still get chincy when putting quarters into pinball machines I'm not doing well at.

Now, definitely darkly lit and no smoking, that's how all larger arcades were here.

Certainly one reason I'll never visit various places in the world is smoking. But traveling sucks anyways. Being there might be way cool, but getting there sucks donkey dicks. Especially with the airport security nonsense. Just about everyone in contemporary society is complicit in the happening and perpetuation of that shit.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: Vacation in Hong Kong new [Re: Traso]
#330835 - 08/29/14 04:45 AM

> Noo. Just how they were oftenly experienced. There were plenty of places that did
> fee/free play - round here at least one was Golfland, the only day I was there, round
> '83 - and it was a little better, because you didn't have to make every fucking
> quarter count. Should I even play that game?...this game?....I don't know.........

Nah man, that's totally against the natural order of things. Pay to play and making it worth your money is a key part of the arcade experience. A free play day should be something unusual and special.

> Now, definitely darkly lit and no smoking, that's how all larger arcades were here.

It varied here. There were a bunch of arcades in Melbourne around Bourke and Russell that allowed smoking, while the more "family friendly" places didn't. I don't smoke myself, but there are worse things in the world than people wanting to fuck up their lungs.

> Certainly one reason I'll never visit various places in the world is smoking. But
> traveling sucks anyways. Being there might be way cool, but getting there sucks
> donkey dicks. Especially with the airport security nonsense. Just about everyone in
> contemporary society is complicit in the happening and perpetuation of that shit.

HK airport security is completely painless. Fortunately not every country in the world is so eager to emulate the USA in this regard.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#330841 - 08/29/14 05:39 AM

> > Noo. Just how they were oftenly experienced. There were plenty of places that did
> > fee/free play - round here at least one was Golfland, the only day I was there,
> round
> > '83 - and it was a little better, because you didn't have to make every fucking
> > quarter count. Should I even play that game?...this game?....I don't know.........
>
> Nah man, that's totally against the natural order of things. Pay to play and making
> it worth your money is a key part of the arcade experience. A free play day should be
> something unusual and special.
>
> > Now, definitely darkly lit and no smoking, that's how all larger arcades were here.
>
> It varied here. There were a bunch of arcades in Melbourne around Bourke and Russell
> that allowed smoking, while the more "family friendly" places didn't. I don't smoke
> myself, but there are worse things in the world than people wanting to fuck up their
> lungs.
>
> > Certainly one reason I'll never visit various places in the world is smoking. But
> > traveling sucks anyways. Being there might be way cool, but getting there sucks
> > donkey dicks. Especially with the airport security nonsense. Just about everyone in
> > contemporary society is complicit in the happening and perpetuation of that shit.
>
> HK airport security is completely painless. Fortunately not every country in the
> world is so eager to emulate the USA in this regard.

How's Australia's? I hear Australia's government slavishly follows whatever the US tells them to, so I am imagining Australia's airport security is just as draconian.

Full disclosure: I have never been to Australia.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: Vacation in Hong Kong new [Re: Master O]
#330845 - 08/29/14 05:52 AM

> How's Australia's? I hear your Australia's government slavishly follows whatever the
> US tells them to, so I am imagining Australia's airport security is just as
> draconian.
>
> Full disclosure: I have never been to Australia.

Yeah, the politicians do like sucking US cock politically. Aus airport security isn't as bad as US, particularly when flying domestically.

You can take most liquids on domestic flights, the most screening you're likely to encounter is explosive residue swab, and you can avoid that with careful timing if you fly often enough to see how they select people. You have to take aerosols an notebook computers out of hand luggage for the X-ray, but you can leave jackets, shoes, etc. on. Ropes, power tools, hammers, knives, scissors and nail clippers must be in your checked in luggage, not carry-on hand luggage. You can't take hot drinks onto a plane from the departure lounge due to issues with people getting burned when people spilled hot tea on them on crowded aerobridges.

For international flights, the silly gel/liquid restrictions apply at departure security. They randomly select people for microwave backscatter screening. It happened to me once out of six international departures in a one-year period. They don't generally ask many questions or do much unless you act like a jerk.

On arrival you have to declare food, wood, seeds, etc. for protection of local agriculture (there have been cases of people intentionally trying to introduce pests to harm the industry). If you actually declare something and show it to them, they'll usually believe you and not hassle you about anything else. They're more likely to select you and make you unpack your bag if you don't declare anything, even if you had nothing to declare. Also, if you don't declare anything and they see something that looks like food on the X-ray and it turns out to be food, then you'll get an intense search. But it's really things that could hurt agriculture that they're worried about more than anything else.

You occasionally get weirdness when flying to Australia. For example when flying to Australia from HK they will ask you to open your hand luggage to check for liquids when boarding the plane. So you can't buy a liquid at duty free in HK and then take it on the plane to Australia. They're pretty nice about it and if you quickly put your bag on the table and open it they don't even really look. If you're uncooperative they might try to make your life hard.

In the spirit of general inconsistency, other countries don't do this check on people flying to Australia. You can take liquids on the plane to Australia from Japan. Yeah, it's all very arbitrary and inconsistent, but it's not as bad as it could be.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#330873 - 08/29/14 09:15 PM

> Going to Hong Kong in 2 weeks and was just curious if there are any cool places to
> check out arcade games. I know it's not Japan but just wondering.
>
> Thanks
>
> Edit: I guess Google is your friend.
>
> http://www.timeout.com.hk/around-town/features/59032/hks-best-arcades.html

That article mentions that Street Fighter 2 is king in Hong Kong.

From what I've ever heard about that part of the world, most of East Asia (outside of Japan) plays Tekken and King of Fighters.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 276 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3859