GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

You mean I have to work for a living?
#329882 - 08/13/14 11:34 PM

Quote:

Robin Williams resented having to work on films such as the second Mrs Doubtfire but felt compelled in order to keep money coming in, a close friend of the actor has told the Telegraph.

Fuck that shit. I'll kill myself before I have to actually work for a living.

I'm not holding anything against Robin because people are only speculating on his motives, but man am I tired of these megamillionaire Hollywood types whining about how hard their lives are... even worse is when they whine about how unfair the income disparity in the world is. Everyone of them cashed in hard on the capitalist system called free-market movie-sales that made them all megamillionaires so they can live a drug-fueled lifestyle of jetsetting parties... and then sit back and pontificate on the injustices of the world and how unbearable it all is.

Sorry Robin... if you really offed yourself because working to earn the money coming in would be just too much of a burden to bear... sucks to be you.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: You mean I have to work for a living? new [Re: GatKong]
#329885 - 08/13/14 11:45 PM

> Robin Williams resented having to work on films such as the second Mrs Doubtfire but
> felt compelled in order to keep money coming in, a close friend of the actor has told
> the Telegraph.
>
> Fuck that shit. I'll kill myself before I have to actually work for a living.
>
>
> I'm not holding anything against Robin because people are only speculating on his
> motives, but man am I tired of these megamillionaire Hollywood types whining about
> how hard their lives are... even worse is when they whine about how unfair the income
> disparity in the world is. Everyone of them cashed in hard on the capitalist system
> called free-market movie-sales that made them all megamillionaires so they can live a
> drug-fueled lifestyle of jetsetting parties... and then sit back and pontificate on
> the injustices of the world and how unbearable it all is.
>
> Sorry Robin... if you really offed yourself because working to earn the money coming
> in would be just too much of a burden to bear... sucks to be you.

Quote:

Robin Williams resented having to work on films such as the second Mrs Doubtfire
but felt compelled in order to keep money coming in, a close friend of the actor has
told the Telegraph.

Williams, who had been working on four projects when he was believed to have taken
his own life this week, was said to have been dreading making more films as they
"brought out his demons".

He had committed to starring in sequels to the hugely successful Mrs Doubtfire and
Night in the Museum, as well as comedy Merry Friggin’ Christmas, and the drama
Boulevard.

But according to his neighbour and friend of over a decade, he no longer wanted to
work on films as he felt they were not conducive to his mental well-being.

"Robin had promised himself he would not do any more as he invested so much in
his roles that it left him drained and particularly vulnerable to depressive episodes,”
the friend told the paper.

I think having more of the story adds a bit of context to what the friend said. If working on
films brought about the depressive episodes, maybe they weren't the ideal medium for him
anymore.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: You mean I have to work for a living? new [Re: Gor]
#329895 - 08/14/14 02:18 AM

> I think having more of the story adds a bit of context to what the friend said. If working on films brought about the depressive episodes, maybe they weren't the ideal medium for him anymore.

I already lectured on this, but....more than that. Human is a difficult gig, and worse for these folk. It's been perhaps a month or so since PSH went the same route.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Yeah.... new [Re: GatKong]
#329897 - 08/14/14 03:13 AM

We're generally eye to eye on a lot of stuff, but I'd cut him some slack on three accounts...

1) The dude paid more than his due, and got his clock cleaned via divorce. He's got every right to be as bitter as you'd be if an ex took everything.

b) He wasn't whining about income disparity, or actually doing the work. He was whining about having to work on projects he disliked, while doing them. We all do that too.

xxx) He offed himself due to depression, not money. He was an addict due to depression. He probably made a lot of bad choices due to depression. Depression is some seriously fucked up shiat, that can't be fathomed until you've experienced it yourself or someone with it.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Yeah.... new [Re: italie]
#329905 - 08/14/14 01:58 PM

> 1) The dude paid more than his due, and got his clock cleaned via divorce. He's got
> every right to be as bitter as you'd be if an ex took everything.

Yeah well, he kinda brought it on himself catching herpes from an affair and then infecting his wife. You do kind of have to go into marriage thinking about what will happen if it ends.

> b) He wasn't whining about income disparity, or actually doing the work. He was
> whining about having to work on projects he disliked, while doing them. We all do
> that too.

I can actually relate to this. He hated working on movies but felt like he'd be letting people down if he didn't do it. I totally get the feeling of working a job that makes you want to kill yourself because you feel like you'd be letting everyone down if you didn't, and there's nothing else you can do.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: Yeah.... new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#329909 - 08/14/14 04:25 PM Attachment: IHateMyJob.jpg 23 KB (0 downloads)

> Yeah well, he kinda brought it on himself catching herpes from an affair and then infecting his wife.

Gets back to the insanely narcissistic culture of entertainers:

Shit! My ex is ruining my life (translation- taking all my money) because she didn't approve of me having affairs, and this depresses me to no end. This is bullshit. Why can't I have everything I want where I come in first all the time. That would make me happy.

And the whole "don't want to do this work" thing... still not buying it. He wanted the money... didn't want to do the work. You don't have to do the work, but then you have to accept that you don't get the money that work brings. Simple as that.

Uh. It rips out my soul and makes me sooo sad to do this work... why do I have to work to make this fabulous money. This is bullshit.

See, if my job situation sucked so bad it was ripping my soul out, I'd find a new job (which is what I did, by the way). Now Robin had a new gig... Broadway... but Broadway doesn't reap the megamillions Hollywood does... so he had to do the soul-ripping part to make the money he wanted... his real problem was he liked the money more than he liked his soul. Sure, she's in college, but stripping pays the bling bling. "Don't judge me."

Again... I'm not bashing on Robin, per se. We don't know his real motives... we just know the motives people are projecting on to him. But people wouldn't offer up these "excuses" if they didn't, in their mind, sound reasonable. And these "reasons" only sound reasonable to people who buy into that culture.

Yeah, his ex and having to "sell out" were tearing his soul out. Sounds reasonable... I can understand that-only if I ignore the fact that both of those situations are his own doing and choices.

Now if the talking heads simply just said "He suffered from manic depression" that's enough right there to understand how he came to commit suicide. The rest is just society thinking "stars" are entitled to so much more than they deserve, and pity them when their world isn't the fairytale anymore.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Gor
Giver of truth.
Send PM

Re: Yeah.... new [Re: GatKong]
#329914 - 08/14/14 06:27 PM

> > Yeah well, he kinda brought it on himself catching herpes from an affair and then
> infecting his wife.
>
> Gets back to the insanely narcissistic culture of entertainers:
>
> Shit! My ex is ruining my life (translation- taking all my money) because she didn't
> approve of me having affairs, and this depresses me to no end. This is bullshit. Why
> can't I have everything I want where I come in first all the time. That would make me
> happy.
>
> And the whole "don't want to do this work" thing... still not buying it. He wanted
> the money... didn't want to do the work. You don't have to do the work, but then you
> have to accept that you don't get the money that work brings. Simple as that.
>
> Uh. It rips out my soul and makes me sooo sad to do this work... why do I have to
> work to make this fabulous money. This is bullshit.
>
> See, if my job situation sucked so bad it was ripping my soul out, I'd find a new job
> (which is what I did, by the way). Now Robin had a new gig... Broadway... but
> Broadway doesn't reap the megamillions Hollywood does... so he had to do the
> soul-ripping part to make the money he wanted... his real problem was he liked the
> money more than he liked his soul. Sure, she's in college, but stripping pays the
> bling bling. "Don't judge me."
>
> Again... I'm not bashing on Robin, per se. We don't know his real motives... we just
> know the motives people are projecting on to him. But people wouldn't offer up these
> "excuses" if they didn't, in their mind, sound reasonable. And these "reasons" only
> sound reasonable to people who buy into that culture.
>
> Yeah, his ex and having to "sell out" were tearing his soul out. Sounds reasonable...
> I can understand that-only if I ignore the fact that both of those situations are his
> own doing and choices.
>
>
>
> Now if the talking heads simply just said "He suffered from manic depression" that's
> enough right there to understand how he came to commit suicide. The rest is just
> society thinking "stars" are entitled to so much more than they deserve, and pity
> them when their world isn't the fairytale anymore.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Possible update... new [Re: GatKong]
#329929 - 08/15/14 01:48 AM

His wife as said today that he had Parkinsons. Early stages I imagine.

Can you imagine having your mind still going at full speed and knowing that slowly, & eventually, you will not being able to properly communicate that brilliancy to others in the fashion that you are famous for?

Just saying, that to me, that would be an extremely dark & depressing thought I would always be conscious of. Not something to look cheerily forward to. Then pile on the monetary & personal problems, not to mention the ego & narcissism issues and you end up with one unstable mental position.

Just a few thoughts...

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Yeah.... new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#329931 - 08/15/14 02:04 AM

Does it suck seeing the world in monochrome?

> > 1) The dude paid more than his due, and got his clock cleaned via divorce. He's got
> > every right to be as bitter as you'd be if an ex took everything.
>
> Yeah well, he kinda brought it on himself catching herpes from an affair and then
> infecting his wife. You do kind of have to go into marriage thinking about what will
> happen if it ends.
>
> > b) He wasn't whining about income disparity, or actually doing the work. He was
> > whining about having to work on projects he disliked, while doing them. We all do
> > that too.
>
> I can actually relate to this. He hated working on movies but felt like he'd be
> letting people down if he didn't do it. I totally get the feeling of working a job
> that makes you want to kill yourself because you feel like you'd be letting everyone
> down if you didn't, and there's nothing else you can do.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Possible update... new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#329936 - 08/15/14 04:04 AM

> His wife as said today that he had Parkinsons. Early stages I imagine.
>
> Can you imagine having your mind still going at full speed and knowing that slowly, &
> eventually, you will not being able to properly communicate that brilliancy to others
> in the fashion that you are famous for?
>
> Just saying, that to me, that would be an extremely dark & depressing thought I would
> always be conscious of. Not something to look cheerily forward to. Then pile on the
> monetary & personal problems, not to mention the ego & narcissism issues and you end
> up with one unstable mental position.
>
> Just a few thoughts...

Had a very active and strong willed grandfather go by way of Parkinson. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. The day he could no longer take is daily bike ride, a tradition for pretty much his entire life, was the day I saw his spirit die. Over the course of three years he went from the most boisterous and lovable italian you'd ever seen, to a man trapped inside a prison of spastic flesh. If you saw the real "him" break through for 2 minutes a day it was a good day. The last two years of his life were completely without purpose.

After witnessing that, I made a choice that put in the same shoes I'd do the same as Williams. If I can't wipe my own ass, share my own thoughts, or do something as simple as even hug my wife...what good is living.

I didn't blame Williams before for what he did, and I most certainly don't now.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Yeah.... new [Re: GatKong]
#329941 - 08/15/14 04:36 AM

I seen that attachment around FB just a few days ago... I also shared it.

Anyway... Just adding my reply to the discussion, not necessarily replying to your post, other than to remark about the attachment.

There's another rumor (I suppose) that he was also on antidepressants, which are known to make people want to commit suicide.

So, about him having parkinsons.... Who (outside of his immediate family) knows how bad it was? Was it to the point that he couldn't function? Probably not, but probably getting there.

God knows why he did it. God have mercy upon him.

LEVEL-4

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Yeah.... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#329944 - 08/15/14 04:57 AM

> There's another rumor (I suppose) that he was also on antidepressants, which are
> known to make people want to commit suicide.

My grandmother (born in 1920) was bipolar and she lived in a "home" in her final years (after incidents where she nearly set fire to her apartment and flooded the whole apartment building because she left the water running in the bathtub) In Denmark those are run by the state, so of course they are understaffed and overpopulated, and as a consequence they have to give more "medicine" to "calm down" the old folks or whatever.

/EDIT and yes, she did try to kill herself while she lived there.

I don't know what they gave her but one time I went there to visit her (I guess, 13-15 years ago) we were sitting on a bench outside sharing a cigarette and in a moment of clarity she told me something like this; I don't like these pills. I eat good food, I see the sun set and I hear the birds sing but I don't feel anything!

S

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: Possible update... new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#329945 - 08/15/14 05:06 AM

At the risk of sounding like I'm stuck in one gear....

Back to the issue of living the consequences of our choices...

Cocaine abuse causes Parkinson's.

*cough Michael J. Fox cough cough*

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: You mean I have to work for a living? new [Re: GatKong]
#329946 - 08/15/14 05:17 AM

> Sorry Robin... if you really offed yourself because working to earn the money coming
> in would be just too much of a burden to bear... sucks to be you.

Seriously? Not wanting to go to work is hardly a motive for taking your own life...? I imagine that his work was actually what kept him alive this long.

In interviews they'd always ask him why they never made a sequel to Mrs. Doubtfire and he'd always say, because the secret was out. There's no foundation there for a sequel, what's he going to do, what would be his motive for dressing up as Mrs. Doubtfire in a sequel? That makes sense to me.

Of course they could always make something up, and make a shitload of money anyway. Like they do. But never mind...it's not like he was a forgotten movie star with no offers coming in right? I don't know anything, but I doubt that he killed himself because of his "work". It's much more probable that a Hollywood star would kill themselves because there was no work. But that wasn't the case here.

S

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Possible update... new [Re: italie]
#329952 - 08/15/14 06:29 AM

> Had a very active and strong willed grandfather go by way of Parkinson. I wouldn't
> wish it on anyone. The day he could no longer take is daily bike ride, a tradition
> for pretty much his entire life, was the day I saw his spirit die. Over the course of
> three years he went from the most boisterous and lovable italian you'd ever seen, to
> a man trapped inside a prison of spastic flesh. If you saw the real "him" break
> through for 2 minutes a day it was a good day. The last two years of his life were
> completely without purpose.
>
> After witnessing that, I made a choice that put in the same shoes I'd do the same as
> Williams. If I can't wipe my own ass, share my own thoughts, or do something as
> simple as even hug my wife...what good is living.
>
> I didn't blame Williams before for what he did, and I most certainly don't now.

The diseases that take away your body and leave your mind intact are the ones that really scare me... Parkinson's, ALS, MS when it's really bad...

Cancer and heart disease don't seem so bad in comparison... all that stuff can do is kill you.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: Possible update... new [Re: DMala]
#329953 - 08/15/14 07:00 AM

> The diseases that take away your body and leave your mind intact are the ones that
> really scare me... Parkinson's, ALS, MS when it's really bad...
>
> Cancer and heart disease don't seem so bad in comparison... all that stuff can do is
> kill you.

To me Alzheimers is the most terrifying. It's the opposite. Imagine slowly losing your past day by day. During the early stages you know that you're losing your mind, and you get to watch it go. Front row seat.

S

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Possible update... new [Re: Sune]
#329955 - 08/15/14 07:58 AM

> To me Alzheimers is the most terrifying. It's the opposite. Imagine slowly losing
> your past day by day. During the early stages you know that you're losing your mind,
> and you get to watch it go. Front row seat.

That one is pretty bad, too. I worked with/for a woman, an author, who suffered from it. When I first met her, it was just part of her personality, she was just Scatterbrain Jane. I would maintain her computer and teach her how to use it, she would retain some small part of what I taught her, and eventually I'd have to go back and show her again. I think it comforted her to have someone to come in periodically and set everything right, and I made some decent beer money from the gig. I never "officially" knew it was Alzheimer's, but it became increasingly obvious as time went on. She would retain less and less of what I showed her, and I had to devise increasingly foolproof systems to keep her up and running.

The last time I saw her, she was starting research on a new book, and was frantic because her files were "randomly disappearing". I was trying to talk her down over the phone, but I finally agreed to walk over to her office on my lunch break to take a look. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the machine. Her documents folder was just a clusterfuck of files saved wily-nilly, each with a few sentences or a paragraph or two. She would start a document, write down a few thoughts, save it, and then couldn't find it, so she'd start over with a new one. I tried to explain to her what was going on and how to fix it, but I just wasn't getting through. I remember her just looking miserable and saying, "I used to be able to do this, why is it so hard now?" What do you even say to that? I didn't know for sure that she had Alzheimer's, and even if I did, it wasn't my place to try to explain it to her.

After that, I never heard from her again. A couple of years later, I googled her name just out of curiosity and found her obituary. She'd moved into an assisted living facility not long after the last time I saw her, and a few months later she was gone. Yeah, it's a pretty horrible disease.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Possible update... new [Re: DMala]
#329957 - 08/15/14 10:07 AM

> Cancer and heart disease don't seem so bad in comparison... all that stuff can do is
> kill you.

Well, it's not that simple. It can depend on the type of cancer. My mother died from bone cancer. From what I've heard, it's one of the most painful.... ways to go. There was a good number of times we thought she wouldn't make it another day or another week. Actually, she was in terrible shape for several months. I can only presume that her mental state was from her pain and the medication she had to take. There were also other 'pills' she'd have to take (for other side effects and conditions)... All I can say is that when she did finally die it was welcome in a way. Although you still hate to see someone you love -go, you can't bear to see them suffer any more either.

One of my Aunt's had lung cancer. A great Uncle had cancer. Both died in what seemed like a short time... That is, after they got off really bad with it. My Mother... she must've been a fighter. Or perhaps that is just the nature of that particular disease.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Send PM

Re: Possible update... new [Re: GatKong]
#329958 - 08/15/14 01:38 PM

> Cocaine abuse causes Parkinson's.
>

Is there any scientific evidence to support that? I can find one study that
Quote:

suggests that chronic heavy cocaine abuse does not cause parkinsonism.

A later St Jude research study found that cocaine use may make the brain more susceptible to a toxin known to cause symptoms of Parkinson's, but it doesn't actually say that

Quote:

Cocaine abuse causes Parkinson's.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Possible update... new [Re: GatKong]
#329985 - 08/16/14 12:07 AM

> At the risk of sounding like I'm stuck in one gear....
>
> Back to the issue of living the consequences of our choices...

Yeah, lard-ass.

> I tried to explain to her what was going on and how to fix it, but I just wasn't getting through. I remember her just looking miserable and saying, "I used to be able to do this, why is it so hard now?" What do you even say to that? I didn't know for sure that she had Alzheimer's, and even if I did, it wasn't my place to try to explain it to her.

It's anyone's opportunity to tell another straight shit, and it's anyone's opportunity to listen and take note.

As for memory, there's a point where it mostly doesn't need to matter, but letting go is difficult for people.

> Cocaine abuse causes Parkinson's.
>
> *cough Michael J. Fox cough cough*

Did he? I thought Michael was better than that.....

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 128 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3399