MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Bonze Adventure proto
#329857 - 08/13/14 04:42 PM Attachment: Bonze Adventure prototype.jpg 57 KB (1 downloads)

Silvio Grazini dumped what appears to be a Bonze Adventure prototype or test location version PCB.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

stephh
Happy Bonze
Reged: 07/23/06
Send PM

Re: Bonze Adventure proto new [Re: Smitdogg]
#329861 - 08/13/14 05:39 PM

> Silvio Grazini dumped what appears to be a Bonze Adventure prototype or test location version PCB.

It's going to be hard to wait until next week to check the differences in the code (while someone might look at the gameplay differences and post screenshots) !

I hope that the C-Chip is the same and that data can be extracted to fix the one from the full version ...

/Me will soon be a very Happy Bonze I guess ...

Steph from The Ultimate Patchers

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Bonze Adventure proto new [Re: stephh]
#329869 - 08/13/14 07:13 PM

>>Silvio Grazini dumped what appears to be a Bonze Adventure prototype or test location
>>version PCB.

>It's going to be hard to wait until next week to check the differences in the code
>(while someone might look at the gameplay differences and post screenshots) !

>I hope that the C-Chip is the same and that data can be extracted to fix the one from
>the full version ...

>/Me will soon be a very Happy Bonze I guess ...

Not surprised that I knew who would be first person to post replying to this and be excited about this particular update. I hope it works out, but if the C-chip can ever be fully emulated some time in the future that will be much better.

haynor666
Reged: 05/06/06
Loc: Tarnobrzeg/Poland
Send PM

Re: Bonze Adventure proto new [Re: gregf]
#329903 - 08/14/14 10:46 AM

Great news. I hope emulation of protection will be completed soon. This is one of best arcade games that I've played.

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

Re: Bonze Adventure proto new [Re: gregf]
#329904 - 08/14/14 12:32 PM

> >>Silvio Grazini dumped what appears to be a Bonze Adventure prototype or test
> location
> >>version PCB.
>
> > It's going to be hard to wait until next week to check the differences in the code
> >(while someone might look at the gameplay differences and post screenshots) !
>
> > I hope that the C-Chip is the same and that data can be extracted to fix the one
> from
> > the full version ...
>
> >/Me will soon be a very Happy Bonze I guess ...
>
>
> Not surprised that I knew who would be first person to post replying to this and be
> excited about this particular update. I hope it works out, but if the C-chip can ever
> be fully emulated some time in the future that will be much better.

IIRC the c-chip is (based on notes from dr decap from years ago) a custom Toshiba (or nec?) chip with (i think) a upd78c10 (or more likely z80) cpu, a mask rom inside (bootloader/write code for the eprom?), an otp-eprom which holds the game specific code, as well as an sram of unknown size which is i think at least partially optionally battery backed (using an external pin to the chip connected to an optional battery to hold high scores).

Dumping the mask rom visually is doable, but getting the eprom part dumped is going to be a big mess.

LN

Edited by Lord Nightmare (08/15/14 04:26 AM)

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Bonze Adventure proto new [Re: Lord Nightmare]
#330053 - 08/17/14 07:14 PM

>IIRC the c-chip is (based on notes from dr decap from years ago) a custom Toshiba (or >nec?) chip with (i think) a upd78c10 (or more likely z80) cpu, a mask rom inside
>(bootloader/write code for the eprom?), an otp-eprom which holds the game specific code,
>as well as an sram of unknown size which is i think at least partially optionally
>battery backed (using an external pin to the chip connected to an optional battery to
>hold high scores).

>Dumping the mask rom visually is doable, but getting the eprom part dumped is going to
>be a big mess.

I wonder if Charles can devise a way to deal with that. I was impressed with Charles past work with Gaelco Master Boy pcb which was considered not possible until Charles spotted a way of extracting data from the mcu.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 136 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3462