Pages: 1

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Assigning multiple buttons to a UI function
#329505 - 08/08/14 12:21 AM

Hi guys. Hope you're enjoying your day

I have sort of a complex request/question so please bare with me......

I was wondering if any of you can tell me if it's possible to map multiple gamepad buttons to a MAME UI function?

Now keep it in mind....I don't mean simply mapping for example Joy button 1 + Joy button 2 to "Pause". I realize you can do this already. What I want to achieve, is a way to map Joy button 1, and then Joy Button 2, but set it up so that MAME REQUIRES me to hold Joy Button 1 down while pressing Joy Button 2 in order for the xxx function to activate.

Now the reason I want to do it this way, is because I am using a Neo Geo CD gamepad(USB version) and have already run out of buttons. Everything is already mapped to game specific buttons. So there's no spare unused button left for UI specific things like pause, toggle cheat, etc. I want to assign multiple UI functions that requires me to hold one button down while pressing another, so that it doesn't interfere with my normal gamepad mapping(ie punch, kick, start, select, etc).

Please tell me there's a way to do this, as I really really REALLY want to avoid having to buy xpadder, which then requires recompiling mame, etc.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Assigning multiple buttons to a UI function new [Re: Outrun2006]
#329508 - 08/08/14 02:16 AM

> I was wondering if any of you can tell me if it's possible to map multiple gamepad
> buttons to a MAME UI function?
>
> Now keep it in mind....I don't mean simply mapping for example Joy button 1 + Joy
> button 2 to "Pause". I realize you can do this already. What I want to achieve, is a
> way to map Joy button 1, and then Joy Button 2, but set it up so that MAME REQUIRES
> me to hold Joy Button 1 down while pressing Joy Button 2 in order for the xxx
> function to activate.

No, that is not possible. When you map controls so that two simultaneous button presses are required to perform a single action, there is no way to set the order.

Example: If I map G+H (in that order) on my keyboard to player 1 start I can hold G and then press H - or I can hold H and then press G.

Instead of mapping button 1 and button 2 on your gamepad, why don't you just just map start + select or some other combination of buttons that aren't used during gameplay. R1 + Select or whatever.

Am I misunderstanding your question?

S

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Assigning multiple buttons to a UI function new [Re: Sune]
#329514 - 08/08/14 03:16 AM

I didn't get that his syntax meant 'in sequence'. But, yeah, not necessary if he does what you say. Any button with one of those you mentioned, in fact.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

#329529 - 08/08/14 10:32 AM

Quote:

> No, that is not possible. When you map controls so that two simultaneous button
> presses are required to perform a single action, there is no way to set the order.
>
> Example: If I map G+H (in that order) on my keyboard to player 1 start I can hold G
> and then press H - or I can hold H and then press G.
>
> Instead of mapping button 1 and button 2 on your gamepad, why don't you just just map
> start + select or some other combination of buttons that aren't used during gameplay.
> R1 + Select or whatever.
>
> Am I misunderstanding your question?
>
> S

Thanks sune.....yeah I don't need it to be in a certain order, just need it to be so that I have to press two buttons to activate the function. Sounds like from what you've said it can in fact be done. But how do you assign two buttons at the same time? When I try to assign two or more, MAME says ie "Joy Button 1 or Joy Button 2". I don't want it to be "OR" I want the "+".

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#329531 - 08/08/14 10:46 AM

> > No, that is not possible. When you map controls so that two simultaneous button
> > presses are required to perform a single action, there is no way to set the order.
> >
> > Example: If I map G+H (in that order) on my keyboard to player 1 start I can hold G
> > and then press H - or I can hold H and then press G.
> >
> > Instead of mapping button 1 and button 2 on your gamepad, why don't you just just
> map
> > start + select or some other combination of buttons that aren't used during
> gameplay.
> > R1 + Select or whatever.
> >
> > Am I misunderstanding your question?
> >
> > S
>
> Thanks sune.....yeah I don't need it to be in a certain order, just need it to be so
> that I have to press two buttons to activate the function. Sounds like from what
> you've said it can in fact be done. But how do you assign two buttons at the same
> time? When I try to assign two or more, MAME says ie "Joy Button 1 or Joy Button 2".
> I don't want it to be "OR" I want the "+".

Clear the mapping you want to change by hitting ENTER, then ESC. It should then read NONE. Then hit ENTER again then hit both of your keys at the same time or in a very rapid succession.. wait a moment and it will show your input. For example, if you used CTRL + ALT, it would show "Ctrl Alt" in the mapping.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#329561 - 08/08/14 07:05 PM

> But how do you assign two buttons at the same time?

You press both at the same time, man.

S

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

#329562 - 08/08/14 07:23 PM

Quote:

> > But how do you assign two buttons at the same time?
>
>
>
> You press both at the same time, man.
>
> S

Soon, I have knewz 4 U my friend.....

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL the reason I'd never tried to assign two buttons simultaneously before, is because I always assume MAME would simply activate either button at any time regardless of whether the other one was being held down or not. MAME is pretty damn smart! So now I can map y R1+Start button to "Pause" and it works!!! Awesome! Why didn't you guys tell me this before!!

Thanks Soon, Tafoid, etc

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#329585 - 08/08/14 11:51 PM

> MAME is pretty damn smart

And has been so since.......at least .37?

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Assigning multiple buttons to a UI function new [Re: Traso]
#329591 - 08/09/14 12:52 AM

> > MAME is pretty damn smart
>
>
> And has been so since.......at least .37?

So you're saying it was as dumb as a box of rocks when it was .36?

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#329682 - 08/10/14 05:36 PM

> > > MAME is pretty damn smart
> >
> >
> > And has been so since.......at least .37?
>
> So you're saying it was as dumb as a box of rocks when it was .36?

Hmh hmh hmh hmh....... I think the same functionality was in .36, but I'm almost sure it was in .37 .

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 697 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1781