Pages: 1

bigbluefe
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/18/14
Send PM

Big Blue 1.54 is out!
#328540 - 07/24/14 02:33 AM

What's new:

* Nothing. This frontend was actually designed well and doesn't need to be updated when new versions of MAME come out.

Seriously, though, I improved the Big Blue configuration utility.

https://sites.google.com/site/bigbluefrontend/

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Big Blue 1.54 is out! new [Re: bigbluefe]
#328545 - 07/24/14 03:45 AM

> What's new:
>
> * Nothing. This frontend was actually designed well and doesn't need to be updated
> when new versions of MAME come out.

Taunting MAMEdev never ends well :-)

bigbluefe
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Big Blue 1.54 is out! new [Re: R. Belmont]
#328552 - 07/24/14 05:33 AM

Taunting? I offered to give you a G-Sync monitor and got the cold shoulder.

xibic
Reged: 05/12/05
Send PM

#328586 - 07/24/14 01:53 PM

hi,
I do not see a new version.
old version available BigBlue07062014Release.zip.

regards

Sorry for my poor english^^
エツ

bigbluefe
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Big Blue 1.54 is out! new [Re: xibic]
#328591 - 07/24/14 04:53 PM

Hey.

The file name's the same, but it was updated.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#328601 - 07/24/14 08:26 PM

> Taunting? I offered to give you a G-Sync monitor and got the cold shoulder.

I missed that happening, but MAME is not a work-for-pay situation and presumably you'd want whoever got that monitor to support it in whatever way (although I thought someone said MAME just works with G-Sync as far as perfect sync to weird refresh rates).

bigbluefe
MAME Fan
Send PM

#328619 - 07/25/14 02:33 AM

MAME works fine with G-Sync, but the motion blur problem remains.

G-Sync monitors have that backlight strobing mode, but the problem is that it only works at 120hz and not with G-Sync. What it really needs is a software solution that runs every game at twice its native refresh rate and inserts black frames.

nirvactually
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/06/14
Send PM

#328701 - 07/27/14 03:18 AM

Hey Belmont.

Remember when you were jealous that someone had free hardware sent to them?

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

Then bigbluefe offered to send you a G-Sync monitor to get it 100% compatible with MAME and you backpedaled:

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

I would like to have 100% G-Sync compatibility with black frame insertion without having to use Groovymame anymore. The black frame insertion in Groovymame doesn't do it right. Can you please consider taking the G-Sync monitor and then make history by providing a solution to these problems?

I would be willing to articulate in detail what needs to be done in Skype, Mumble, Teamspeak, Jitsi, Ventrilo, or the telephone. I was also considering making a video about this as well.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Big Blue 1.54 is out! new [Re: nirvactually]
#328725 - 07/27/14 11:03 AM

> I would be willing to articulate in detail what needs to be done in Skype, Mumble,
> Teamspeak, Jitsi, Ventrilo, or the telephone. I was also considering making a video
> about this as well.

Hi bitcrunch

http://www.redditpics.com/so-reddit-admin-bitcrunch-has-banned-the-term-s,1522667/

http://pastie.org/7918634#1

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Big Blue 1.54 is out! new [Re: B2K24]
#328727 - 07/27/14 11:45 AM

> > I would be willing to articulate in detail what needs to be done in Skype, Mumble,
> > Teamspeak, Jitsi, Ventrilo, or the telephone. I was also considering making a video
> > about this as well.
>
> Hi bitcrunch
>
> http://www.redditpics.com/so-reddit-admin-bitcrunch-has-banned-the-term-s,1522667/
>
> http://pastie.org/7918634#1

It's nirv, what do you expect? The guy is downright fucking unhinged.

bigbluefe
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Big Blue 1.54 is out! new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#328733 - 07/27/14 01:35 PM

http://www.clker.com/cliparts/f/e/b/9/12117618342049654957DooFi_Turd.svg.hi.png

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#328736 - 07/27/14 02:39 PM

> Says the fruitcake who tries to remove his HLSL code from MAME because he got a
> hangnail. You're the last person who should be calling anyone unhinged. You're one
> nervous breakdown away from living in a padded room for the rest of your life.

Aww, is the author of the shitty frontend offended that I insulted his boyfriend?

bigbluefe
MAME Fan
Send PM

#328737 - 07/27/14 02:49 PM

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#328739 - 07/27/14 03:05 PM

> You mean the objectively best arcade cabinet frontend in the world?
>
> The frontend that works properly, unlike your shitty, misaligned HLSL implementation?

Huh, apparently I have been transported to Bizarre Fucko World, where the "objectively best" arcade cabinet frontend is one that desperately tries to make up for its author's complete lack of any ability to make a sensible UI by ripping off other games' art assets. Silly me!

bigbluefe
MAME Fan
Send PM

#328740 - 07/27/14 03:13 PM

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Big Blue 1.54 is out! new [Re: nirvactually]
#328741 - 07/27/14 03:13 PM

> Remember when you were jealous that someone had free hardware sent to them?
>
> http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

I wasn't jealous, I was simply pointing out that if you're flinging Linux-related hardware around for MAME, then logically you oughta have asked me first. What you didn't see is that I was promptly offered free hardware by multiple people in private messages and I refused all of it.

> I would like to have 100% G-Sync compatibility with black frame insertion without
> having to use Groovymame anymore. The black frame insertion in Groovymame doesn't do
> it right.

I'm not sure how to break this to you, but it's not possible in MAME's architecture to do the African-American frame insertion temporally correctly. You'd need to be able to split frames in two, vsync on each "half frame", and then only draw the emulated machine's display on the even half-frames. Whatever Groovymame does is about as close as anyone's likely to get.

bigbluefe
MAME Fan
Send PM

#328747 - 07/27/14 05:11 PM

> > Remember when you were jealous that someone had free hardware sent to them?
> >
> >
> http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1
>
> I wasn't jealous, I was simply pointing out that if you're flinging Linux-related
> hardware around for MAME, then logically you oughta have asked me first. What you
> didn't see is that I was promptly offered free hardware by multiple people in private
> messages and I refused all of it.
>
> > I would like to have 100% G-Sync compatibility with black frame insertion without
> > having to use Groovymame anymore. The black frame insertion in Groovymame doesn't
> do
> > it right.
>
> I'm not sure how to break this to you, but it's not possible in MAME's architecture
> to do the African-American frame insertion temporally correctly. You'd need to be
> able to split frames in two, vsync on each "half frame", and then only draw the
> emulated machine's display on the even half-frames. Whatever Groovymame does is about
> as close as anyone's likely to get.

How do 30hz games such as Rampage work in MAME, then? They seem to run at the correct speed on a 60hz LCD. It's effectively running at double its native refresh rate. Interestingly, Rampage in MAME looks horrible on a G-Sync monitor, because it actually runs at 30hz on them. It's incredibly blurry/smeary because of the low refresh rate.

Why can 30hz games run at double their refresh rate in baseline MAME with a standard 60hz monitor, yet Street Fighter can't run at 119.26hz on displays that can run at that refresh rate? The GroovyMAME black frame insertion solution would work if the games just ran at double their native refresh rate instead of being forced to 120hz globally (for 60hz games, it works fine).

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#328748 - 07/27/14 05:35 PM

> How do 30hz games such as Rampage work in MAME, then? They seem to run at the correct
> speed on a 60hz LCD. It's effectively running at double its native refresh rate.

Because it runs at 30 Hz and the monitor draws each frame twice since we don't swap the back buffers until each 30 Hz update. This is the same as how native 30 Hz PC games run.

> Why can 30hz games run at double their refresh rate in baseline MAME with a standard
> 60hz monitor, yet Street Fighter can't run at 119.26hz on displays that can run at
> that refresh rate? The GroovyMAME black frame insertion solution would work if the
> games just ran at double their native refresh rate instead of being forced to 120hz
> globally (for 60hz games, it works fine).

Sounds like GroovyMAME also includes the popular "force all games to 60 Hz" patch, so 60 and near-60 games are forced to 60.0 and then the Gsync support doubles that rate. Obviously you don't want or need the 60 Hz force patch for Gsync since the entire point is that you *can* do fractional refresh rates.

bigbluefe
MAME Fan
Send PM

#328749 - 07/27/14 05:47 PM

> > How do 30hz games such as Rampage work in MAME, then? They seem to run at the
> correct
> > speed on a 60hz LCD. It's effectively running at double its native refresh rate.
>
> Because it runs at 30 Hz and the monitor draws each frame twice since we don't swap
> the back buffers until each 30 Hz update. This is the same as how native 30 Hz PC
> games run.
>
> > Why can 30hz games run at double their refresh rate in baseline MAME with a
> standard
> > 60hz monitor, yet Street Fighter can't run at 119.26hz on displays that can run at
> > that refresh rate? The GroovyMAME black frame insertion solution would work if the
> > games just ran at double their native refresh rate instead of being forced to 120hz
> > globally (for 60hz games, it works fine).
>
> Sounds like GroovyMAME also includes the popular "force all games to 60 Hz" patch, so
> 60 and near-60 games are forced to 60.0 and then the Gsync support doubles that rate.
> Obviously you don't want or need the 60 Hz force patch for Gsync since the entire
> point is that you *can* do fractional refresh rates.

Right, but the part that confuses me is that just drawing each frame twice doesn't seem to work, either. If I add the black frames using the GroovyMAME technique but don't force the games to run at 120hz, it doubles the refresh rate, but there's hitching and audio breakup.

This is what GroovyMAME's doing, by the way. It's modifying video_manager::frame_update in video.c like so:

if (machine().options().black_frame_insertion() && machine().options().sync_refresh())
{
render_container *container = &machine().render().ui_container();
container->add_rect(0, 0, 1, 1, ARGB_BLACK, PRIMFLAG_BLENDMODE(BLENDMODE_ALPHA));
machine().osd().update(!debug && skipped_it);
}

// if we're throttling, delay after rendering
attotime current_time = machine().time();
if (!debug && !skipped_it && effective_throttle())
update_throttle(current_time);

Making this modification without forcing syncrefresh doesn't seem to work (you get audio breakup and stuttering).

nirvactually
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Big Blue 1.54 is out! new [Re: B2K24]
#328751 - 07/27/14 06:35 PM

> > I would be willing to articulate in detail what needs to be done in Skype, Mumble,
> > Teamspeak, Jitsi, Ventrilo, or the telephone. I was also considering making a video
> > about this as well.
>
> Hi bitcrunch
>

Well, my name's nirv and has been since 1996. bitcrunch was a temporary name I used in defiance of a reddit admin who was censoring the shit out of the site and still does to this day.

I realize you and Moogly want to insult me in text, but withhold judgement until you talk to me in voice. It's interesting how people go from "you're nuts" to "oh holy shit you just changed my life." after a single call.

I know you doubt it, so I could show you evidence, but you already have it in for me so you'll consider that psychotic as well. Where did you get your PhD to be able to diagnose mental health over TEXT? Oh.

Only one of us has a PhD and that's me: http://home.comcast.net/~nirvgorilla/phd/phd.html?name=nirv&degree=Dechimping

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#328760 - 07/27/14 08:56 PM

> Right, but the part that confuses me is that just drawing each frame twice doesn't
> seem to work, either. If I add the black frames using the GroovyMAME technique but
> don't force the games to run at 120hz, it doubles the refresh rate, but there's
> hitching and audio breakup.

Right, because as I said, MAME isn't built to do that, and would likely require a major rewrite to support that kind of operation. I suggest just settling for normal gsync and enjoying the perfect scrolling on odd-refresh games.

nirvactually
MAME Fan
Send PM

#328762 - 07/27/14 09:57 PM

>
> Right, because as I said, MAME isn't built to do that, and would likely require a
> major rewrite to support that kind of operation. I suggest just settling for normal
> gsync and enjoying the perfect scrolling on odd-refresh games.

I was going through some old IRC logs. Do you remember this private message to me?

**EDITED - posting IP and connection info is a no-no**

Good times.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
2 registered and 301 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3615