MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Elaphe
MAME
Reged: 07/06/05
Send PM

120 hz monitor with Windows 7
#327947 - 07/09/14 10:11 AM

I have been using MAME for years in my 120hz monitor (1920x1080) and a Geforce card without problems, with Windows XP. Now I've installed Windows 7 and the games run at 120 fps. I've tried everything, but the monitor never changes to 60hz when the games are launched. Can you confirm this is a problem with Windows 7 and not with my config? Any idea how to fix this? What I'm doing for now is to use a script to change my monitor refresh to 60hz when I run EmuLoader.

I've found a patch for 120hz monitors, to run the games at 120fps but at normal speed, also getting rid of the motion blur effect, but there's not a diff for .149 or .153.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: 120 hz monitor with Windows 7 new [Re: Elaphe]
#327975 - 07/10/14 12:45 AM

> I have been using MAME for years in my 120hz monitor (1920x1080) and a Geforce card
> without problems, with Windows XP. Now I've installed Windows 7 and the games run at
> 120 fps. I've tried everything, but the monitor never changes to 60hz when the games
> are launched. Can you confirm this is a problem with Windows 7 and not with my
> config? Any idea how to fix this? What I'm doing for now is to use a script to change
> my monitor refresh to 60hz when I run EmuLoader.
>
> I've found a patch for 120hz monitors, to run the games at 120fps but at normal
> speed, also getting rid of the motion blur effect, but there's not a diff for .149 or
> .153.

MAME does not automatically do that. You have vsync forced on, either in mame.ini or your video card driver control panel. Disable it and you'll be fine

S

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#327977 - 07/10/14 02:04 AM

Edit: try Sune's recommendation, first.

Otherwise: check your config file to see whether 'match game refresh' is enabled. Also, it could be the video card drivers for 7. Look up the 120hz thread here, there might be something in there for you.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Elaphe
MAME
Reged: 07/06/05
Send PM

Re: 120 hz monitor with Windows 7 new [Re: Sune]
#327999 - 07/10/14 07:44 AM

Thanx. I've been trying with vsync, tripple buffer, syncrefresh, etc. and it seems that syncrefresh is to blame for the double speed. I need at least vsync for smooth scrolls but also syncrefresh for those games that do not run exactly at 60 fps. There's another option there called refreshspeed that I don't know what it's for. I think that with XP my monitor changed to 60hz, but now it's 120. I don't know how for force it to change to 60 with MAME.

I've tried using the option in my Nvidia control panel to force the refresh speed in a specific app. However, it only allow me to select between: controlled by the app or the highest possible.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#328001 - 07/10/14 09:29 AM

> Thanx. I've been trying with vsync, tripple buffer, syncrefresh, etc. and it seems
> that syncrefresh is to blame for the double speed. I need at least vsync for smooth
> scrolls but also syncrefresh for those games that do not run exactly at 60 fps.
> There's another option there called refreshspeed that I don't know what it's for. I
> think that with XP my monitor changed to 60hz, but now it's 120. I don't know how for
> force it to change to 60 with MAME.

If the monitor's refresh rate is that much higher than the game's refresh rate you should be able to just use triple buffer or vsync (not both) and forget about refreshspeed.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 332 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1684