View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Damn collector gene...
#327798 - 07/05/14 10:46 PM Attachment: Konachan.com - 102262 asakai_yoshikuni.jpg 657 KB (0 downloads)

You're encouraged to share any story about your collector gene. Here's mine:

Some weeks ago, I decided I would finally clean my unsorted rule34/anime/manga galleries, which were about 5,000 or 6,000 pics from a wide range of sources and styles. Since most of what I was seeing was really crappy, absolutely outdated low-res stuff (including some captures I made to submit to MamEnd), offensive or illegal, I started deleting most of it. My initial estimates were that I would keep about 100-200 pics, nicely sorted in maybe 2 or 3 categories.

That was about 2 months ago. Now...

My collection is nicely sorted in 11 categories and 65 subcategories, in many cases stating artist, series, work of origin, exact title of illustration, and whatever relevant information I can gather. It spans all kind of styles, from japanese manga to Vallejo aerograph or Frazetta painting, and also includes some vector art, 3D renders and some funny animations. I have lots from Hyung-tae Kim, Tony Taka, Shunya Yamashita, Reiq, RFS, Genzo... And also about Vocaloid (don't ask), KOF, SF, To Love Ru, Black Rock Shooter, Morrigan & Felicia from Darkstalkers... I mostly choose pics by aesthetic value or sexyness level, mostly avoiding anything explicit (what we westerns call hentai) or simply outrageous (and I've seen lately too much fitting in that category).

Today the collection surpassed 9,000 pics from (bulk calculation) around 150,000 or 200,000 pics that I've already deleted. My "incoming" folder contains almost 40,000 pictures, including stuff from artists packs (Humio and Azpiri are the latest), game CG, themed packs (lots of fanart from anime series) and whatnot. And I keep downloading stuff because sooner or later I will find another artist I like or another anime which produces interesting fanart.

I still don't know what happened.

Damn collector gene...

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Damn collector gene... new [Re: Pi]
#327813 - 07/06/14 03:15 AM

I'm wondering about the illegal stuff.....

I'm in a remotely similar circumstance. I have, in My Pictures, various folders. Art, astro pics, environment and landscapes, features of interest (containing various sub-folders of things like 'body', 'hands', 'feet', 'funky features'......), some others. I rarely look in any of these, and sometimes I wonder whether I need to keep them. I've already experienced these things, either in real life or virtually....

But since it's virtual storage, and it's cheap - well, why not?

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: Damn collector gene... new [Re: Traso]
#327885 - 07/07/14 07:28 PM

> But since it's virtual storage, and it's cheap - well, why not?

yeah totally cheap ...

http://www.simplynas.com/synology-ds1513-5x4tb-hitachi-enterprise.aspx

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Damn collector gene... new [Re: lharms]
#327889 - 07/07/14 09:16 PM

> > But since it's virtual storage, and it's cheap - well, why not?
>
>
> yeah totally cheap ...
>
> http://www.simplynas.com/synology-ds1513-5x4tb-hitachi-enterprise.aspx

That's a little more than twice what twenty 2TB drives would be. I guess the hardware is a bit expensive...

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Damn collector gene, Update 1 new [Re: Pi]
#330806 - 08/28/14 12:40 PM Attachment: Minitokyo 202707.jpg 140 KB (0 downloads)

> Today the collection surpassed 9,000 pics from (bulk calculation) around 150,000 or
> 200,000 pics that I've already deleted.

Today the collection surpassed 19,000 pics from who knows how many deleted pics. They are about 24 GiB (yes, the average pic size is above one megabyte). My incoming folder is 190 GiB, I think about 300,000 pics, maybe more. That includes a complete Konachan.com siterip which has been already downgraded from ~170,000 to ~125,000.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: Damn collector gene, Update 1 new [Re: Pi]
#330828 - 08/29/14 01:37 AM

Are you using a file duplicate finder too? Like duff?

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: Damn collector gene, Update 1 new [Re: lharms]
#330852 - 08/29/14 10:22 AM

> Are you using a file duplicate finder too? Like duff?

I use an old dupe finder I wrote years ago, and also VisiPics to detect similar images.

AeroCityMayor
Entity formerly known as alien_mame
Reged: 11/11/03
Loc: Wakefield, West Yorks, UK.
Send PM

Re: Damn collector gene... new [Re: Pi]
#330927 - 08/30/14 01:37 PM

> You're encouraged to share any story about your collector gene.
>

I've spent approx £450gbp in the last two months on paper with "Psikyo" printed on them

Coherance of posts inversely proportional to Foster's consumption!!!

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: Damn collector gene... new [Re: AeroCityMayor]
#330929 - 08/30/14 03:19 PM

> I've spent approx £450gbp in the last two months on paper with "Psikyo" printed on
> them

Welcome to the collector gene help group.

You're doing it wrong. Just buy the ones saying "Psykio". You'll spend so much less money you'll be amazed!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 75 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2531