MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator!
#327561 - 06/29/14 07:04 AM

Artemis!
http://www.artemis.eochu.com/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/247350/

Example:

(costumes, acting and "swaying" optional)

Today a friend dragged me to a biannual boardgame convention I'd attended off and on a few years ago, but not recently

Apparently someone's been bringing a full (budget) Artemis setup since summer 2013.

It's basically the Star Trek live-action ship bridge simulation game you've always dreamed of, although it is unlicensed. Requires five friends to bring client computers to your place to setup a small lanparty, and you run a server. HW requirements seem very minimal. It's "collaborative, team-building" gameplay, and your "crew" plays against the CPU which is throwing scenarios at you. Five client computers config'ed to run engineering, science, weapons, helm, and communications. Captain of the ship does not get a computer but instead sits and gives orders. In a way, it's a cross between a videogame and a LARP, and it's phenomenally nerdy and completely awesome.

I first heard about the game a few years ago and had always wanted to try it. Well, it was a LOT of fun. The local gamers who brought it were telling me about some of the community's hardware expansions, dedicated peripherals (sound and lighting effects mainly), some custom scenarios that involve ship-to-ship collaboration and/or competition across the Internet, all sorts of things. They were also genius frugal, picked up five laptops and one desktop from state government surplus for a song.

I'm now counting down the months until I can get my own setup.

- Stiletto

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator! new [Re: Stiletto]
#327578 - 06/29/14 10:37 PM

Too many red shirts on that bridge for me...
I'd like a fair chance of surviving!

I'd also probably need a lot of non-synthahol to not feel like a complete neo-maxi-zoom-dweebie.

That's just me though...

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator! new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#327581 - 06/29/14 11:17 PM

The only place I'd like to be doing that is on an actual starship in space. Playing house with it is about 10 steps past my maximum nerd level.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator! new [Re: Smitdogg]
#327601 - 06/30/14 05:01 AM

> I'd also probably need a lot of non-synthahol to not feel like a complete neo-maxi-zoom-dweebie.

Hahn, niice.

> The only place I'd like to be doing that is on an actual starship in space. Playing house with it is about 10 steps past my maximum nerd level.

Yeah. I mean, whatever floats one's boat an all....but.....that [scifi] stuff is really ridiculous. If things ever get like that, I'll be laughing my ass off....

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator! new [Re: Smitdogg]
#327605 - 06/30/14 05:55 AM

> The only place I'd like to be doing that is on an actual starship in space. Playing
> house with it is about 10 steps past my maximum nerd level.

I could do without the props, costumes, and bad acting, but I like the idea of a LAN-based co-op game that requires a serious amount of face-to-face coordination. I could definitely see having a few friends over with laptops or tablets and playing this a little more casually.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 456 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1752