View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

tjcbs
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/08/14
Send PM

Custom aspect ratio for fullscreen?
#326819 - 06/11/14 01:44 PM

Is there any way to set your desired aspect ratio in fullscreen mode? All I can figure out to do is to turn keepaspect on or off, which means that the aspect is either the original, or stretched to the max. 3:4 games are just too small for my widescreen monitor, but full stretch is way too stretched out, it would be very nice to be able to select 4:4, 5:4 etc.

SoltanGris42
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/16/13
Send PM

Re: Custom aspect ratio for fullscreen? new [Re: tjcbs]
#326829 - 06/12/14 01:54 AM

> Is there any way to set your desired aspect ratio in fullscreen mode? All I can
> figure out to do is to turn keepaspect on or off, which means that the aspect is
> either the original, or stretched to the max. 3:4 games are just too small for my
> widescreen monitor, but full stretch is way too stretched out, it would be very nice
> to be able to select 4:4, 5:4 etc.

There is an "-aspect" option that tells MAME the physical aspect ratio of your display device:

"mame pacman -aspect 16:9" should give you a normal view.

But if you lie to MAME and say your screen is narrower:

"mame pacman -aspect 11:9" then you can make MAME stretch it wider.

EDIT: also there is screen_aspect:

"mame pacman -screen_aspect 1:1"

Edited by SoltanGris42 (06/12/14 02:21 AM)

tjcbs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Custom aspect ratio for fullscreen? new [Re: SoltanGris42]
#326844 - 06/12/14 05:49 AM

Brilliant! That's a clever way to do it. Is it possible to stick command line options in a .cfg? Otherwise I guess its time to find a frontend (I'm so not a command line guy).

SoltanGris42
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/16/13
Send PM

#326845 - 06/12/14 06:15 AM

> Brilliant! That's a clever way to do it. Is it possible to stick command line options
> in a .cfg? Otherwise I guess its time to find a frontend (I'm so not a command line
> guy).

You can put it in the mame.ini or mess.ini. In fact it should already be there but set to "auto".

Also, if you set "writeconfig 1" instead of "writeconfig 0" near the top of your mame.ini/mess.ini then every time you run mame/mess you'll get a new ".ini" file for the system/game.

Then you can just change the aspect ratio for specific games/systems that need it.

Or, even better, you can copy/paste mame.ini into a "vertical.ini" and mame will automatically use that for vertical games only.

tjcbs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Custom aspect ratio for fullscreen? new [Re: SoltanGris42]
#326847 - 06/12/14 07:33 AM

> Or, even better, you can copy/paste mame.ini into a "vertical.ini" and mame will
> automatically use that for vertical games only.

Just perfect, thanks!!

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Or you can set them via a UI build.... new [Re: tjcbs]
#326866 - 06/12/14 09:42 PM

A long-practiced method by myself and many others. Of course, some things (like HSLS parameters) aren't available that way.....

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#326894 - 06/13/14 10:40 AM

> Is there any way to set your desired aspect ratio in fullscreen mode? All I can
> figure out to do is to turn keepaspect on or off, which means that the aspect is
> either the original, or stretched to the max. 3:4 games are just too small for my
> widescreen monitor, but full stretch is way too stretched out, it would be very nice
> to be able to select 4:4, 5:4 etc.

Wow, you really don't give a shit about visual accuracy, do you? First you're whining about HLSL, now you apparently want to beat it to fat Chun-Li. Maybe MAME just isn't for you, brah.

big10p
Arcadian
Reged: 03/13/14
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: Or you can set them via a UI build.... new [Re: Traso]
#326895 - 06/13/14 11:24 AM

> A long-practiced method by myself and many others. Of course, some things (like HSLS
> parameters) aren't available that way.....

Why do you say HLSL params aren't available? As I understand it, the settings in vertical.ini simply override those in mame.ini. For settings you don't want to override, just delete them from vertical.ini

Edited by big10p (06/13/14 11:25 AM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#326904 - 06/13/14 05:54 PM

> 3:4 games are just too small for my widescreen monitor

Doesn't matter, MAME by default is showing them at the correct ratio that they were intended to be viewed at. Any modification makes the graphics incorrect and is disrespecting the original designers.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 479 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3912