View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

anoid
Lurker
Reged: 12/05/03
Send PM

Haze: The Colour of your Nemesis?
#326177 - 05/23/14 10:03 PM

Haze points out recent improvements to colors thanks to the great work by Couriersud:

http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/

A-Noid

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Haze: The Colour of your Nemesis? new [Re: anoid]
#326183 - 05/24/14 12:48 AM

> Haze points out recent improvements to colors thanks to the great work by Couriersud:
>
> http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/
>
> A-Noid

Does that color fix also apply to the various Gradius revisions, too?

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

Re: Haze: The Colour of your Nemesis? new [Re: Master O]
#326185 - 05/24/14 01:14 AM

It applies to all the games on Bubble System-like hardware: nemesis, konamigt, gradius, gwarrior, rf2 and twinbee. Salamander and later games use a different video DAC, more similar to Twin16 and later hardware, and are unchanged.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: Haze: The Colour of your Nemesis? new [Re: AWJ]
#326187 - 05/24/14 03:49 AM

> It applies to all the games on Bubble System-like hardware: nemesis, konamigt,
> gradius, gwarrior, rf2 and twinbee. Salamander and later games use a different video
> DAC, more similar to Twin16 and later hardware, and are unchanged.

Those colors look awfully dark.

Are they confirmed to be factory default settings? I have a feeling those games came adjusted for brightness from the factory. I don't question the emulation's accuracy when it comes to the hardware, but it just looks like something they'd tweak via monitor settings.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#326190 - 05/24/14 09:17 AM

I know people are going to get more excited about Gradius/Nemesis, but I think it's also really cool that Galactic Warriors finally matches my memory of it. Yes, it really was dark like that.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Haze: The Colour of your Nemesis? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#326193 - 05/24/14 10:43 AM

> I know people are going to get more excited about Gradius/Nemesis, but I think it's
> also really cool that Galactic Warriors finally matches my memory of it. Yes, it
> really was dark like that.

I was just about to ask about the darkness when I saw your post. It does look unusually dark, but if that's the way it was, that's the way it was.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Italy
Send PM

Re: Haze: The Colour of your Nemesis? new [Re: Foxhack]
#326205 - 05/24/14 06:49 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GylsWGtfcIE

Play with MAME gamma (I wouldn't touch brightness or contrast). If this video is showing a real PCB, the guy surely tweaked monitor settings.

The hack was keeped in my build by mistake after AWJ and couriersud fixes. How much attention for a pernicious full of bugs and ...(add here your offensive term) MAME derivative.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: Haze: The Colour of your Nemesis? new [Re: Mamesick]
#326207 - 05/24/14 07:38 PM

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GylsWGtfcIE
>
> Play with MAME gamma (I wouldn't touch brightness or contrast). If this video is
> showing a real PCB, the guy surely tweaked monitor settings.
>
> The hack was keeped in my build by mistake after AWJ and couriersud fixes. How much
> attention for a pernicious full of bugs and ...(add here your offensive term) MAME
> derivative.

Is this hack still part of your build or will it be removed on the next release?

Thanks

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#326208 - 05/24/14 08:27 PM

Hacked colours is still the best one

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

#326210 - 05/24/14 09:15 PM

moved

Edited by joey35car (05/24/14 09:16 PM)

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Haze: The Colour of your Nemesis? new [Re: CTOJAH]
#326211 - 05/24/14 09:15 PM

> Hacked colours is still the best one

The whole idea of MAME is accuracy. I love to always see the correct emulation.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: Haze: The Colour of your Nemesis? new [Re: joey35car]
#326212 - 05/24/14 09:21 PM

> The whole idea of MAME is accuracy. I love to always see the correct emulation.

I know that... ...Can You see the emoticon at the end of my line ?

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

Re: Haze: The Colour of your Nemesis? new [Re: Mamesick]
#326214 - 05/25/14 12:24 AM

Don't just look at the overall brightness level (which depends on the monitor and the viewing/filming conditions), look at the contrast between bright and dark colors. In that Nemesis video, you can see how strong the contrast is between the lit and shadowed sides of the mountains. On the other hand, if you look at a video from a Twinbee PCB (I linked to one on Haze's blog) you can see the contrast between the light and shadows on the water should not be excessively strong; the score digits and the Konami logo in attract mode should be distinctly brighter than the water highlights and not blend in with them.

In the old gamma-hacked MAME palette the contrast on the Nemesis mountains was too low and the contrast on the Twinbee water was too high, and there wasn't any adjustment you could make that would improve one without making the other worse.

If you really want to increase the default brightness in MAMEUIFX you can use the following code:

Code:

double white = 255.0 / (m_palette_lookup[30] - black);
for (int i = 0; i < 32; i++)
{
int col = (m_palette_lookup[i] - black) * white + 0.5;
m_palette_lookup[i] = MIN(col, 255);
}

However, this code irrecoverably compresses the colors (level 30 and level 31 become the same) so I recommend using the slider controls instead if you really think the colors are too dark (it doesn't look nearly as dark when you're actually playing rather than comparing side-by-side with the old MAME colors)

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Italy
Send PM

Re: Haze: The Colour of your Nemesis? new [Re: joey35car]
#326222 - 05/25/14 08:12 AM

> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GylsWGtfcIE
> >
> > Play with MAME gamma (I wouldn't touch brightness or contrast). If this video is
> > showing a real PCB, the guy surely tweaked monitor settings.
> >
> > The hack was keeped in my build by mistake after AWJ and couriersud fixes. How much
> > attention for a pernicious full of bugs and ...(add here your offensive term) MAME
> > derivative.
>
> Is this hack still part of your build or will it be removed on the next release?
>
> Thanks

The hack will go away. After tweaking a little, I found that my monitor with a MAME gamma of 1.25/1.30 displays Nemesis perfectly.

I already said here that the hacked code was left in my source by mistake. But that man who lives in a permanent foggy mental condition, has created as always much more confusion. I talked with AWJ via PM about my hacked solution because I noticed that his code was making the games really too dark like other users here and on Foggy's blog noticed. He confirmed that it was correct. So that was ok for me. I Repeat, this hack will be removed in my next release, based on SVN or on official 0.154 it doesn't matter. But other hacks in my FX will stay, like the one in FUUKIFG3.C to avoid the terrible slowdowns: MAMETesters #2506.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 329 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2454