View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

tunstals
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/04/14
Send PM

Old Arcade game source code
#325949 - 05/15/14 01:26 PM

Does anyone know what happened to the source code for ancient arcade games like SPACE INVADERS, GORF, FROGGER, GALAXIAN, DOUBLE DRAGON, SPY HUNTER?

I've seen Atari 7800 source posted, but what about the original arcade game source? Anyone seen it?

I've Googled before you ask

If nobody's kept their dot-matrix printed source code any longer, I wonder if there's any teams out there who like to reverse engineer old games to understand how they work.....

Some of the stuff done in 64K is amazing.

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Re: Old Arcade game source code new [Re: tunstals]
#325954 - 05/16/14 01:08 AM

not exactly what u are looking for but did u see any of these interesting talks on youtube, below:

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#325956 - 05/16/14 06:32 AM

> Does anyone know what happened to the source code for ancient arcade games like SPACE
> INVADERS, GORF, FROGGER, GALAXIAN, DOUBLE DRAGON, SPY HUNTER?

Just a guess, but I'd say most of it is probably gone. Any that still exists is likely on random floppies/tapes/hardcopy buried deep in the back of some developer's closet. I seem to recall the Gorf developer has the source exactly like that.

> If nobody's kept their dot-matrix printed source code any longer, I wonder if there's
> any teams out there who like to reverse engineer old games to understand how they
> work.....

There is a team that does that! They have a funny name... I can't think of it, starts with an M or something.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#327710 - 07/03/14 04:53 AM

I think the closest thing to what you want will be looking for decompiled binaries with notes. I think people have done that for games like Pac-Man and Space Invaders and Outrun.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#327961 - 07/09/14 04:59 PM

Most game companies didn't have decent archival setups until the mid-90s so any surviving source is usually an accident of history, unfortunately. A lot of times companies didn't even have the ROM binaries on hand until hobbyist emulation happened and flooded the Internet with them.

Justin Kerk
MESS fan
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Vancouver Island, Canada
Send PM

Re: Old Arcade game source code new [Re: Smitdogg]
#328167 - 07/15/14 03:37 AM

http://umlautllama.com/projects/pacdocs/ has a commented disassembly for Ms. Pac-Man.

Winners Occasionally Use Drugs

ASI
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/23/10
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: Old Arcade game source code new [Re: grog]
#337619 - 03/11/15 10:38 AM

Whatever happened to all the old source disks etc that where found at the old atari site a year or two back?

But yes i agree some of what was achieved back in the day was an incredible feat of programming.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Programming
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Pi 
0 registered and 111 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 8827