MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Well that's a new one for me...
#324672 - 04/14/14 05:14 PM

Turns out the HDD that's been giving me trouble lately had a firmware update ages ago or AHCI compatibility. Now I'm stuck copying everything over a USB 2.0 dongle for the next 7 hours before I can see if it solves the issues or if it's really time to scrap it.

Never thought much about HDD firmware updates before...

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: Well that's a new one for me... new [Re: URherenow]
#324679 - 04/14/14 08:23 PM

I had a router do that to me... after it updated itself it wouldn't connect to ftp's anymore... after a bunch of troubleshooting, I finally found the solution was to go back to the previous version, and it works as it should again.

Progress.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: Well that's a new one for me... new [Re: URherenow]
#324684 - 04/14/14 10:13 PM

> Turns out the HDD that's been giving me trouble lately had a firmware update ages ago
> or AHCI compatibility. Now I'm stuck copying everything over a USB 2.0 dongle for the
> next 7 hours before I can see if it solves the issues or if it's really time to scrap
> it.
>
> Never thought much about HDD firmware updates before...

My two older 500 GB hard drives - Seagate Barracudas - had faulty firmware that could cause it to crash at any moment. The only solution was to flash the firmware... which could cause it to crash and destroy all the data on it.

I waited two years until I bought a 1 TB drive and backed up the data there; then I applied the firmware upgrade and didn't lose a thing. I got lucky.

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: Well that's a new one for me... new [Re: Foxhack]
#324689 - 04/15/14 01:40 AM

>
> Seagate Barracudas -

Heh... the drive in question is a Seagate Barracuda. Don't know that the firmware is *faulty* though. It may be that it just wasn't made with AHCI in mind. I can't be bothered to dig that deep. I copied everything I need, so I'll try a firmware flash after work. Or perhaps during lunch.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 199 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1078