MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

What do you MEAN I cant set it?
#324401 - 04/10/14 02:34 AM

So bought a nice new SSD for me laptop. Decently faster so far.

Oh enable ACHI and it will perform faster according to the samsung software. Fine. Fair enough...

Until I get into the bios. No way to enable it. In fact many options are missing. HP locked it down. So now to fiddle the bios to get some option turned on and manage to not brick the thing at the same time...

So digging around finding utils to parse it out, change it, and save it back. Pick up a virus. GAH... keeel me....

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: What do you MEAN I cant set it? new [Re: lharms]
#324440 - 04/10/14 12:27 PM

> So bought a nice new SSD for me laptop. Decently faster so far.
>
> Oh enable ACHI and it will perform faster according to the samsung software. Fine.
> Fair enough...
>
> Until I get into the bios. No way to enable it. In fact many options are missing. HP
> locked it down. So now to fiddle the bios to get some option turned on and manage to
> not brick the thing at the same time...
>
> So digging around finding utils to parse it out, change it, and save it back. Pick up
> a virus. GAH... keeel me....

I thought that if you had an OS installed as IDE mode that changing the setting to ACHI (sata mode) would stop windows from booting

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: What do you MEAN I cant set it? new [Re: Naoki]
#324456 - 04/10/14 04:30 PM

You start with step 1 while you are still in Windows in IDE mode.
1. Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
2. Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
3. Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
4. Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide
5. Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
6. Shut down
7. Start up again, but before Windows boots go into the BIOS configuration screens and change the disk mode to "AHCI". Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so that Windows boots.

When Windows starts, it will detect the change, load new disk drivers, and do one more reboot to start up with them.

There is also a kind of failsafe method but I forgot exactly how I did it before. It's the changes you need to make when changing the whole motherboard and can't be bothered to reinstall Windows from scratch. Yes it can be done. I did it myself when I upgraded from an AMD cpu to the i7 920 that I'm still running today.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

lharms
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: What do you MEAN I cant set it? new [Re: URherenow]
#324596 - 04/12/14 07:58 PM

> You start with step 1 while you are still in Windows in IDE mode.
> 1. Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
> 2. Navigate to Registry Key:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
> 3. Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
> 4. Navigate to Registry Key:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide
> 5. Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
> 6. Shut down
> 7. Start up again, but before Windows boots go into the BIOS configuration screens
> and change the disk mode to "AHCI". Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so
> that Windows boots.
>
> When Windows starts, it will detect the change, load new disk drivers, and do one
> more reboot to start up with them.
>
> There is also a kind of failsafe method but I forgot exactly how I did it before.
> It's the changes you need to make when changing the whole motherboard and can't be
> bothered to reinstall Windows from scratch. Yes it can be done. I did it myself when
> I upgraded from an AMD cpu to the i7 920 that I'm still running today.

I am up to step 7... No setting grrr.... Oh and forget 'hacking' the bios to enable the menus to get at it... Apparently they put in some sort of signed encryption key thing no one understands yet.

Good news is I may be able to set it thru the ACPI boot environment. Some kind soul out there has built a menu disassembler for the firmware which lets you figure out the exact ACPI memory store they hold the values at. The setting is in there though. I am going to dig into it a bit. It looks like the menus get their 'show this' from another memory location which I think I *may* be able to set thru the same method this other guy is using to turn on AHCI. Though I suspect the firmware actually controls it and not the memory location.

Only picked up 2 windows malwares from this adventure so far. Thank God for virtualbox...

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#324603 - 04/12/14 10:24 PM

What chipset does the laptop motherboard use? Depending on what it is, it might not support AHCI. I have a motherboard with an Intel chipset and ICH7 (north bridge?) That doesn't do AHCI.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

lharms
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: What do you MEAN I cant set it? new [Re: krick]
#324605 - 04/13/14 02:16 AM

> What chipset does the laptop motherboard use? Depending on what it is, it might not
> support AHCI. I have a motherboard with an Intel chipset and ICH7 (north bridge?)
> That doesn't do AHCI.

It should its a fairly recent chipset (intel HM77). Judging by the # of pages talking about ahci in the docs...

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/pub...h-datasheet.pdf

Think HP may have disabled and hidden it because it has that intel caching thing. Which may only work when in RAID 1 mode not sure yet...

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#324607 - 04/13/14 03:09 AM

> Think HP may have disabled and hidden it because it has that intel caching thing.
> Which may only work when in RAID 1 mode not sure yet...

A laptop with a "RAID mode" setting but no AHCI? that's odd.

Set it to RAID mode then. RAID implies AHCI.

S

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: What do you MEAN I cant set it? new [Re: Sune]
#324631 - 04/13/14 03:15 PM

agreed.

My motherboard's secondary SATA controller has to have the raid mode turned on and then the raid mode option comes up, which allows me to choose AHCI. My chipset is an ICH9 IIRC

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

lharms
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: What do you MEAN I cant set it? new [Re: Sune]
#324653 - 04/13/14 11:08 PM

There are 3 settings for it (and these are hidden from the bios config screen). The current value is 2 which is the default.

Select option: 'HDC Configure As' [ VarStore: '0x39', QuestionId: '0x1c', Help: 'Set Harddisk Controller Configure Type']
Option: 'IDE' [ Value: '0' Default: 'false' Type: 'int8' ]
Option: 'AHCI' [ Value: '1' Default: 'false' Type: 'int8' ]
Option: 'RAID' [ Value: '2' Default: 'true' Type: 'int8' ]

According to the rapid store util docs this is possible to have raid and IDE (which is what I think setting 2 is). It also jives with what windows is setup as. My drives are in SCSI/RAID mode in device manager. Also all the other utils I have used say 'IDE mode'. Tad reluctant to just flip the switch and see what happens as this is my only computer at the moment.

I will probably disable rapid store first. Double check the reg settings. Then flip the switch using the boot usb drive I have with the EFI prog on it.

It looks like it would be totally possible to write an EFI/UEFI boot program that lets you control all of this information as that is basically what most config screens are now. The problem is there are zillions of different bios/firmwares out there and each one stores its settings in different places.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 315 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1276