MAMEWorld >> Programming
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

LuoXiaoDi
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/21/14
Send PM

Do net card 3c505,smc91c9x in MAME work with real net card?
#323875 - 03/28/14 12:37 PM

#include "machine/3c505.h"
#include "smc91c9x.h"

=========================
Buttons work with real keyboard, how about net card?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Do net card 3c505,smc91c9x in MAME work with real net card? new [Re: LuoXiaoDi]
#324037 - 04/01/14 09:13 PM

> #include "machine/3c505.h"
> #include "smc91c9x.h"

Yes, emulated network cards can communicate with the outside world. On Windows/Mac emulated systems cannot talk to the host PC, only external devices. On Linux emulated systems can also communicate with the host PC.

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: Do net card 3c505,smc91c9x in MAME work with real net card? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#324398 - 04/10/14 01:28 AM

>
> Yes, emulated network cards can communicate with the outside world. On Windows/Mac
> emulated systems cannot talk to the host PC, only external devices.

Why is that? Simply because nobody could be bothered to implement it (I'm not sure why it would be needed anyway)? I can access my windows network shares on the host PC from an emulated MAC (a VM, to be more exact) so it can't be a limitation of Windows...

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Do net card 3c505,smc91c9x in MAME work with real net card? new [Re: URherenow]
#324468 - 04/10/14 05:47 PM

> Why is that? Simply because nobody could be bothered to implement it (I'm not sure
> why it would be needed anyway)? I can access my windows network shares on the host PC
> from an emulated MAC (a VM, to be more exact) so it can't be a limitation of
> Windows...

It's a limitation of Pcap, which most hobbyist/open source emulators use for Ethernet access on Windows and OS X (including QEMU, VICE, Basilisk II, and SheepShaver). Getting around it requires a kernel driver, like commercial (and quasi-commercial like VirtualBox) VM software uses.

People have staged DOOM LAN deathmatches with the MESS 486 driver successfully though, and I file share between emulated classic Macs in MESS and my physical PowerMac G5 all the time

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Programming
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Pi 
0 registered and 105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3320