URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Funny... didn't know my PC was an HP/CompaQ 700
#323817 - 03/26/14 11:06 AM

Driver Detective found 15 out of date or missing drivers for your
HP / Compaq Pavilion 700 Desktop PC series

MSI motherboard, ATI video card... everything put together myself and updated/changed over the last few years. Slicked the HDD during my Win 8 install...

Is there any really helpful software for updating drivers quickly that isn't going to make my PC crash and burn after they install?

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Funny... didn't know my PC was an HP/CompaQ 700 new [Re: URherenow]
#323818 - 03/26/14 12:02 PM

Windows Update?

URherenow
Send PM

Re: Funny... didn't know my PC was an HP/CompaQ 700 new [Re: redk9258]
#323819 - 03/26/14 12:29 PM

Windows update has never done shit for drivers. IF that's all you use you might be surprised if you installed a test run of drivergenius or something and scanned your system with it.

I did just find some freeware called slimdrivers though. Updated my motherboard and Ethernet drivers and now says everything is up to date.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#323822 - 03/26/14 03:49 PM

The way I've always done it is go to the homepage for your motherboard model and grab the drivers from there. They always link to bioses, onboard audio/video and stuff like intel chipset drivers. Everything pretty much except for Windows updates and if you installed your own video card then go to the website for that.

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Re: Funny... didn't know my PC was an HP/CompaQ 700 new [Re: Smitdogg]
#323829 - 03/26/14 07:23 PM

Yep, my advice is the same. Get them directly from your motherboard's maker support pages, and then the video card if you have one. Then printer and other peripherals, although many could need no drivers (most usb storage related hardware needs nothing). Nowadays you don't need as many drivers as in the past.

I just need drivers for motherboard (mine has a 1GiB package with *everything* sound, network, 2TB+ drives, USB 3.0 boost, etc), video card, printer and scanner.

I really distrust those "driver wizards" as in my experience and for what I've seen in other forums, they seem to misfire a lot of times.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

URherenow
Send PM

Motherboard sites never keep up either new [Re: Pi]
#323832 - 03/27/14 02:08 AM

For instance, I know my motherboard has an ICH10 chipset. Intel's latest drivers came out just a couple of months ago, but the MSI live update never told me there were new drivers.

In fact, using the live update software is my only option through MSI because if I try to pick my model manually, my socket isn't even in the dropdown (1366)!

Then there are the oddball things. I have a PCIe USB 3.0 expansion card and can't remember what brand or whatever. I just know now (from running drivergenius) that it was using some kind of VIA xHCI drivers so I just installed the latest I could find of that one.

Oh, and heres another good reason: Laptops. My laptop isn't as fast as a modern one, but it still has more features, such as a Blu-ray burner. But the particular model was designed for windows ME or Vista ore some crap so it was HELL getting all of the correct drivers for Windows 7. I had to go through several other models from Sony, unpack the drivers so they wouldn't refuse to install because of the wrong model number, and just trial and error until everything was working. Couldn't be assed to do all of that again so the last time I refreshed the drivers I used some driver wizard thingy, which worked well. Can't remember what that was though...

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Motherboard sites never keep up either new [Re: URherenow]
#323834 - 03/27/14 03:14 AM

Well most motherboard websites I've used were up to date and even if they aren't they will at least point you in the right direction for what to google. It is annoying when you have an old laptop and the shitbags at dell or wherever want to force you into sticking with their shipped os but even in those cases you can still get bios updates and the right device names to google. I'd trust a motherboard website to ID devices over generic driverupdate software any day, that stuff is a dice roll.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

#323836 - 03/27/14 05:06 AM

I agree with most people above. After building a PC or buying one first thing I do is go to the homepage of that MB and graphics card and check for updates. After that I might check every 6 months.

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Re: Motherboard sites never keep up either new [Re: URherenow]
#323837 - 03/27/14 09:53 AM

And I see that after all those problems you'd want a good software that can automate that for you, but precisely if you weren't able to do it in a "normal" way, don't expect that other software can do it magically. You might end with either an outdated driver or just the wrong one. Don't risk on that, specially if your case is so specifically unlucky.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 142 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1263