View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Food For Thought
#323393 - 03/16/14 01:14 PM Attachment: dino.jpg 41 KB (1 downloads)

FFT = Fast Fourier Transform

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: Food For Thought new [Re: Pi]
#323450 - 03/17/14 05:08 PM

Decomposed dinosaurs are only a small portion of "fossil fuels"

Most of it is from plant and animal material that pre-dated dinosaurs.

In a way I guess the answer is yes, but probably not as much as you'd think.

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: Food For Thought new [Re: Hizzout]
#323452 - 03/17/14 06:43 PM

> Decomposed dinosaurs are only a small portion of "fossil fuels"
>
> Most of it is from plant and animal material that pre-dated dinosaurs.
>
> In a way I guess the answer is yes, but probably not as much as you'd think.

Yes I know it's plankton and algae (*) mainly. Dinosaurs lived too recently to be any part at all of the current reserves.

(*) Before posting anything, I always check Wikipedia, Conservapedia, and NerdCity. Long live the tree octopus!

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Ginko Biloba (nt) new [Re: Pi]
#323489 - 03/18/14 03:50 AM

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Jdurgi
Regular
Loc: NEW England, CT
Send PM

Re: Ginko Biloba (nt) new [Re: URherenow]
#323492 - 03/18/14 04:29 AM

Every single atom in our bodies were created by the death of a giant star, likely billions of light years away from where we are today. That's just fucked up, yet really cool.

--------------------------------------------------
I am just a worthless liar.
I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you.
Trust in me and fall as well.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: Ginko Biloba (nt) new [Re: Jdurgi]
#323494 - 03/18/14 04:42 AM

> Every single atom in our bodies were created by the death of a giant star, likely
> billions of light years away from where we are today. That's just fucked up, yet
> really cool.

So, the Death Star actually creates planets...

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Professor Pi enters omg-so-really-pedantic mode new [Re: Jdurgi]
#323514 - 03/18/14 01:47 PM

> Every single atom in our bodies were created by the death of a giant star, likely
> billions of light years away from where we are today. That's just fucked up, yet
> really cool.

The Sun is a third generation star, according to the current Big Bang theorical model and to the Sun Standard Model. That means:
* It all started with a big bang.
* One big star was created, which went supernova.
* The remnants of the supernova form another smaller star, about 4-5 times the mass of the Sun. Which again goes supernova.
* The remnants of that second supernova form the current Solar System.

So the Sun is the grandchild of one of the earlier stars of our universe.

Note that all heavy elements (anything beyond iron) can't be formed by normal means of nuclear fusion in the inside of a star; the star must went supernova to create the appropiate environment of pressure/temperature to form those elements. So we all are stardust. Now it's kind of common to find nerds knowing this (imagine me just like Scott Pilgrim trying to hit on Ramona with the Pacman/Puckman story but with the stardust thingy).

But we can go further than that. Bound neutrons and protons inside atom nuclei have really long lifes; for protons it seems to be longer than the age of the universe. So some of the particles we are made of are as old as the universe; as well as the particles that make those particles like quarks, muons and whatnot.

Another common misconception is that we live in a simple spiral galaxy with two arms. Not at all, we live in the most common galaxy shape, a barred galaxy. In a spiral galaxy, two or more arms stem from the globular center. In a barred galaxy, a quite visible bar about two-three times the width of the globular center appears, and the arms stem from both ends of the bar. We don't see it visibly because we get only the profile of the Milky Way. We are not even in one of the main two arms, but in a very small, short arm between one of the main arms and a secondary arm.

Besides moving around the galaxy center, the sun also rotates around the arm's gravity center. If you'd saw the Milky Way's profile from outside, you'd see the Sun going up and down the arm in cycles of approximately 60 million years. That means the Sun crosses the arm's nebular dust every 28-30 million years approximately... Hold on that. Although paleontologic studies have a known error for detecting massive extinction events, the events to be known to have occurred in a specific date (which could span itself thousands or even a million years) show a pattern. It seems that most of every minor and major massive extintion event occurs every 27-32 million years, and nicely fits the times when the Sun crosses the arm.

Ok now I'm going to create a report of how the foldings inside a vagina can be calculated with a fractal formula feeding it with some Zodiac variables of the vagina's owner. I will maintain you informed of this scientific "breakthrough".

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: Professor Pi enters omg-so-really-pedantic mode new [Re: Pi]
#323515 - 03/18/14 01:57 PM

> > Every single atom in our bodies were created by the death of a giant star, likely
> > billions of light years away from where we are today. That's just fucked up, yet
> > really cool.
>
> The Sun is a third generation star, according to the current Big Bang theorical model
> and to the Sun Standard Model. That means:
> * It all started with a big bang.
> * One big star was created, which went supernova.
> * The remnants of the supernova form another smaller star, about 4-5 times the mass
> of the Sun. Which again goes supernova.
> * The remnants of that second supernova form the current Solar System.
>
> So the Sun is the grandchild of one of the earlier stars of our universe.
>
> Note that all heavy elements (anything beyond iron) can't be formed by normal means
> of nuclear fusion in the inside of a star; the star must went supernova to create the
> appropiate environment of pressure/temperature to form those elements. So we all are
> stardust. Now it's kind of common to find nerds knowing this (imagine me just like
> Scott Pilgrim trying to hit on Ramona with the Pacman/Puckman story but with the
> stardust thingy).
>
> But we can go further than that. Bound neutrons and protons inside atom nuclei have
> really long lifes; for protons it seems to be longer than the age of the universe. So
> some of the particles we are made of are as old as the universe; as well as the
> particles that make those particles like quarks, muons and whatnot.
>
> Another common misconception is that we live in a simple spiral galaxy with two arms.
> Not at all, we live in the most common galaxy shape, a barred galaxy. In a spiral
> galaxy, two or more arms stem from the globular center. In a barred galaxy, a quite
> visible bar about two-three times the width of the globular center appears, and the
> arms stem from both ends of the bar. We don't see it visibly because we get only the
> profile of the Milky Way. We are not even in one of the main two arms, but in a very
> small, short arm between one of the main arms and a secondary arm.
>
> Besides moving around the galaxy center, the sun also rotates around the arm's
> gravity center. If you'd saw the Milky Way's profile from outside, you'd see the Sun
> going up and down the arm in cycles of approximately 60 million years. That means the
> Sun crosses the arm's nebular dust every 28-30 million years approximately... Hold on
> that. Although paleontologic studies have a known error for detecting massive
> extinction events, the events to be known to have occurred in a specific date (which
> could span itself thousands or even a million years) show a pattern. It seems that
> most of every minor and major massive extintion event occurs every 27-32 million
> years, and nicely fits the times when the Sun crosses the arm.
>
> Ok now I'm going to create a report of how the foldings inside a vagina can be
> calculated with a fractal formula feeding it with some Zodiac variables of the
> vagina's owner. I will maintain you informed of this scientific "breakthrough".

So, basically...

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Professor Pi enters omg-so-really-pedantic mode new [Re: Gor]
#323533 - 03/18/14 08:19 PM

>> Note that all heavy elements (anything beyond iron) can't be formed by normal means of
>> nuclear fusion in the inside of a star; the star must went supernova to create the
>> appropiate environment of pressure/temperature to form those elements. So we all are
>> stardust.

> So, basically...

What? No, We are golden. We are billion-year-old carbon. And we are in fact a mangled sequence that added the carbon line to every chorus and left out the one about being caught in the Devil's bargain. But there's no atomic number associated with that one, so it can't get back to the Garden.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 113 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2176