View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

911! Help! My cat...
#323271 - 03/13/14 01:34 AM Attachment: catDrink.jpg 62 KB (0 downloads)

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

911! Help! I've feline, and I can't get pup [nt] new [Re: GatKong]
#323285 - 03/13/14 10:35 AM

^so terrible.

)

Edited by Tomu Breidah (03/13/14 10:36 AM)

LEVEL-4

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Re: 911! Help! My cat... new [Re: GatKong]
#323296 - 03/13/14 06:50 PM

In my case, if the glass contains water, the damn cat thinks it would be much more fresh than the contaminated puddle she has in the kitchen (we change it at least once a day). I used to have a cap for my metal cup so the damn cat doesn't drink of it.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: 911! Help! My cat... new [Re: Pi]
#323298 - 03/13/14 07:36 PM

> In my case, if the glass contains water, the damn cat thinks it would be much more
> fresh than the contaminated puddle she has in the kitchen (we change it at least once
> a day). I used to have a cap for my metal cup so the damn cat doesn't drink of it.

Bottled water.

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: 911! Help! My cat... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#323303 - 03/14/14 12:02 AM

> > In my case, if the glass contains water, the damn cat thinks it would be much more
> > fresh than the contaminated puddle she has in the kitchen (we change it at least
> once
> > a day). I used to have a cap for my metal cup so the damn cat doesn't drink of it.
>
> Bottled water.

I used the metal cup + cap for sentimental reasons. I use now a mauve bottle. My cat smells the water but knows she can't reach it.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: 911! Help! My cat... new [Re: Pi]
#323304 - 03/14/14 12:20 AM

> My cat smells the water

Do you think that's true? Can water actually be smelled?

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#323305 - 03/14/14 12:33 AM

I have three cats. I have a term for this: "forbidden water".

Basically, water that the cat isn't supposed/allowed to have is "forbidden", and therefore tastes far better than water that you put in their bowl. As a consequence, they will knock over cups and glasses to get at said water.

One of my cats actually watches you drink water and he makes a movement with his mouth that looks like he's drinking along with you in his mind.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: 911! Help! I've feline, and I can't get pup [nt] new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#323306 - 03/14/14 02:00 AM

> ^so terrible.

No, Tom. That was good.

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

Re: 911! Help! I've feline, and I can't get pup new [Re: GatKong]
#323307 - 03/14/14 02:59 AM

> > ^so terrible.
>
> No, Tom. That was good.

So bad it's good. That's total "dad joke" material. Is there something we don't know about you, Tom?

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#323309 - 03/14/14 04:19 AM

Yes... sort of.

You smell the things in it that aren't water atually. Chlorine, sulfates (depends where you live and where your water comes from)... Fill a real glass with water and a plastic cup with water and let it sit for a few hours, then smell both of them. If you smell nothing different (even if only the smell of plastic, which I know is the cup, not the water) then your sense of smell is dumbed down. Animals can smell that very clearly.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: 911! Help! My cat... new [Re: krick]
#323312 - 03/14/14 05:37 AM

> I have three cats. I have a term for this: "forbidden water".
>
> Basically, water that the cat isn't supposed/allowed to have is "forbidden", and
> therefore tastes far better than water that you put in their bowl. As a consequence,
> they will knock over cups and glasses to get at said water.
>
> One of my cats actually watches you drink water and he makes a movement with his
> mouth that looks like he's drinking along with you in his mind.

My cat is spoiled rotten, he pretty much only drinks if we turn on a little thread of water from the bathroom faucet. He'll eventually drink from his bowl if we refuse to do it, but with all the crying and carrying on, it's usually easier to just turn it on for him.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: 911! Help! My cat... new [Re: DMala]
#323320 - 03/14/14 07:26 AM

> My cat is spoiled rotten, he pretty much only drinks if we turn on a little thread of
> water from the bathroom faucet. He'll eventually drink from his bowl if we refuse to
> do it, but with all the crying and carrying on, it's usually easier to just turn it
> on for him.

After my smallest cat would waste a LOT of the water I was giving them by pawing at it -I made a short stand and put a water bowl on top of that. It's at the level of their heads and don't have to bend down to drink it.

The amount of water that was getting on the floor... I can swear that it has caused some damage to the floor underneath the linoleum (since it was by the wall).

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: 911! Help! My cat... new [Re: DMala]
#323330 - 03/14/14 04:17 PM

> My cat is spoiled rotten, he pretty much only drinks if we turn on a little thread of
> water from the bathroom faucet. He'll eventually drink from his bowl if we refuse to
> do it, but with all the crying and carrying on, it's usually easier to just turn it
> on for him.

That is the freshest water the cat can find and will always try to drink that one. Same with food as well, freshly laid food is great for cats, three hours later they would want new food.

My cat doesn't drink from the faucets because we never put her to try; but he water bowl *must* be in a certain place or she will simply not drink it even if she's absolutely thirsty.

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

#323331 - 03/14/14 04:35 PM

> > My cat smells the water
>
> Do you think that's true? Can water actually be smelled?

Throughout the internet (aka intrawebs, aka enterwow) you'll find answers that say animals can't smell water because it's odorless. Just partially true.

Water is not an odorant for humans, in other words, the olfactory (sp?) system doesn't have receptors for the water chemical compound (evaporated H2O). We do not smell water because we can't.

But many, many animals do smell water. Actually, humans seem to be in the exception side. That is understandable because compared to most animals, humans have a very very weak smell sense. Most mammals, including cats, dogs and cows, can smell water at a distance. Camels and other desert-dwelling animals, including insects, can smell water at very long distances, and follow the wind to the water source easily.

Just so you can compare, humans have about five to six millions receptors, and of those there are about 400 (four hundred only) different receptors for odorants (one kind of receptor can detect more than one chemical compound). Dogs have between 125 to 220 million! Including receptors for chemicals we don't have, since they have almost one thousand different receptors. Dogs know who we are and what clothes are we wearing and were have we been with those clothes.

Professor Pi at your service.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 281 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2308